Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My adventure yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 05:36 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My adventure yesterday

Well, over the weekend I went downtown and partied it up with some freinds. The weekend started on Thursday. For some odd reason I kept leaving my headlights on over the weekend. A total of about a dozen times for more then 1 hour.

Now my GS has the original battery in it from 00. I completly killed the battery, so I was looking into an Optima and a friend of mine suggested to get the battery tested and the charging system. So I stopped at a Kragen on the way to Lexus, they tested it and said I need to replace the battery and altenator. So I was like then I proceeded to Lexus. Lexus tested it and said all I need is a new battery So I told my friend and he told me about a place called AutoPort on the Navy base. Since his dad was in the Navy he bought the battery for me, Yellow Top Optima for $119.00 No tax So we installed the Optima then I went back to Lexus and had the system tested again, no problems. On my way to the freeway I stopped at the Kragen I stopped at earlier that day. They tested it and said it needs a new battery and altenator I said are you sure cause this battery I just purchased and installed about an hour ago. The guy said "Hold on let me get another testor." I waited, he came back and tested it again, he said "You need a new altenator" He went right into how much they cost and they had it in stock. I told him I'd think about it.

So today on my way to the office I stopped at Lexus again and asked if they could test the charging system again Perfect, no problems I almost wonder if they were trying to make money off me for no reason
Old 07-25-06, 06:05 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

kragen was tryna screw you for money haha
Old 07-25-06, 07:58 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Report Kragen to the Better Business Bureau. That's just wrong.
Old 07-25-06, 08:34 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Report Kragen to the Better Business Bureau. That's just wrong.
Good idea...
Old 07-25-06, 09:11 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always get a second answer everytime you never no who you can trust
Old 07-26-06, 01:04 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep...report them to BBB.

Pete
Old 07-26-06, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, hate to say, but some shops out there, they are just for your money, period
Old 07-26-06, 09:08 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Yah, sounds liek they are trying to yank you. My local Kragen ex-Trak Auto has been good to me when I've come in with suspected battery issues. Lexus wanted $75 to diagnose the same thing. Then if it was the battery, they would apply the diagnostic towards the battery. Fair practise, however when you have battery problems, Lexus dealers are far and few so you'll wind up buying another anyway. With the big linked chain stores, if the purchase is entered into the system, warranty is easy anywhere. (Well, supposed to be.)
Old 07-26-06, 10:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

There used to be a battery dealer here in Mexico City would tell people that before you installed your Optima battery, you had to put in a new alternator (even if the car was new)...the guy next door could do it. Fraud and greed runs in all shapes and sizes.
Old 07-26-06, 02:11 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

They definitely were trying to pull as fast one on you. Always get a second opinion. It would have been a waste to money and time to purchase a new alternator when you don't need a new one...
Old 07-26-06, 03:33 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe the guy at the Kragen store was just inexperienced??
Old 07-26-06, 08:04 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
maybe the guy at the Kragen store was just inexperienced??
Nope because after he brought out the 2nd testor he brought the results inside where he told the store manager. The store manager even said "The pulse is coming from a dead battery and your charging system which has a bad charging cell is what is killing your battery. If you replace your battery it will die because your altenator is going to kill it. Trust us we know what we are talking about"

I mean I know I was in a suit and all but damn, doesn't mean I don't know anything about cars bud. I think I will report them to the BBB because that is a major automotive distributor that alot of people turn to for help and parts. Thats wrong now that I think about it and it makes me more and more angry the more I do think about it.
Old 07-26-06, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal_VIP
Nope because after he brought out the 2nd testor he brought the results inside where he told the store manager. The store manager even said "The pulse is coming from a dead battery and your charging system which has a bad charging cell is what is killing your battery. If you replace your battery it will die because your altenator is going to kill it. Trust us we know what we are talking about"

I mean I know I was in a suit and all but damn, doesn't mean I don't know anything about cars bud. I think I will report them to the BBB because that is a major automotive distributor that alot of people turn to for help and parts. Thats wrong now that I think about it and it makes me more and more angry the more I do think about it.
well remember the jiffy lube story?

funny explanation the manager ws giving there. sounds like he's saying that your alternator is sending some crazy signal killing the battery