Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM posted Better-than-Expected Quarterly Results - a Loss of $3.2 Billion . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 11:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

With GM (probably goes for Ford, too), I picture their executives in their offices dreaming up these magical turn-around plans that pray will come to fruition. Probably everyone is just panicking and under way too much stress.
Old 07-27-06, 04:02 PM
LexFather

It doesn't matter what they build. Their reputation is so badly tarnished, people will buy a couple of thier vehicles but as a whole, they are screwed. No true hybrids no true plan but to cut jobs and plants.

That is not a plan at all!!

They need to realize they will not be the #1 carmaker soon and deal with it. They waited to late to try to figure some things out.

This is a HUGE organization and we would buy maybe a handful of products and only if they didn't sell Lexus and the Germans.
Corvette
Maybe a caddy or 2
Maybe the Saturn Sky
Maybe a SUV or pick up

Their products lead NOWHERE outside the Vette. NOWHERE.

Old 07-27-06, 04:18 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could wake up in the morning and see (-3.2 Billion) and feel good about my self...
Old 07-27-06, 07:29 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

You would feel good about yourself if you knew that a) without your actions the losses would be a lot worse, and b) you had hard evidence that things were turning around.

The most positive thing I can say about GM right now is that they have not followed Chrysler into the "employee pricing for everyone" trap this year. Finally, this shows patience and foresight.

1SickLex is partially right--GM's reputation is badly tarnished. But if Lexus can become the country's #1 luxury brand in 15 years, Hyundai can go from worst-to-first in J.D. Power in 10 years, GM can certainly come back as long as they don't get greedy and go for the short-term gains. The other thing to remember is that a large number of people in this country still buy GM products, and many of them wouldn't buy anything BUT GM products. Personally, I wouldn't even care for any of the cars 1SickLex lists, but plenty of folks (particularly in the midwest and south) don't have the same negative stigma associated with GM that most of us do.
Old 07-27-06, 10:02 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
But if Lexus can become the country's #1 luxury brand in 15 years, Hyundai can go from worst-to-first in J.D. Power in 10 years, GM can certainly come back as long as they don't get greedy and go for the short-term gains.
Unfortunately, no they can't. It's not built into them. Lexus becoming the country's #1 brand was only a matter of time, because from the get-go they were set on doing it right, and they maintained their efforts. GM doesn't have that kind of effort, don't have the type of management that can pull them out of this, and does not have a strong enough sense of imminent danger. It's not about greed or short-term gains. It's about that they just can't roll out products that are competitive enough. The fact is, some companies are destined to go out of business. GM could well be one of them, no matter how big it is or how much money it has.

Originally Posted by Iceman
The other thing to remember is that a large number of people in this country still buy GM products, and many of them wouldn't buy anything BUT GM products
Sad but true, those customers are the old folks who stand by their loyal brands. In a decade or two, they will not be buying cars.
Old 07-28-06, 01:36 AM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

GM is just plain terrible now....