Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership Doesn't Like Deal, Takes Car Back

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like a dealership really DID let a new vehicle go for one of those Insult-To-Your-Intelligence TV ad prices. First, the guy should show them their own advertising. Second, since he has the keys, he should get a ride to the dealership, find HIS truck, get in it, and drive off......right to the nearest police station, in case someone from the dealership follows him. Once at the police station he should show them the papers and file charges of auto theft.

The dealership won't dare take any reprisals on him or his house......the police wll know that it probably came from them if it happens..

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 07:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds like a dealership really DID let a new vehicle go for one of those Insult-To-Your-Intelligence TV ad prices. First, the guy should show them their own advertising. Second, since he has the keys, he should get a ride to the dealership, find HIS truck, get in it, and drive off......right to the nearest police station, in case someone from the dealership follows him. Once at the police station he should show them the papers and file charges of auto theft.

The dealership won't dare take any reprisals on him or his house......the police wll know that it probably came from them if it happens..

The problem is the authorities in this area claim it is a Cival case and not a Criminal case. Also, the dealership shouldn't be able to do anything to this guy because there is no lean holder as he paid cash. He should be the sole title holder. The dealership shouldn't be able to touch anything he owns. But, like I said, in the end the dealerhip will get away with it. Maybe the guy will get his truck, but business will go on as usual for this dealership. It looks like they have been doing this for years and many people have been complaining, but nothing is done to stop them and people keep buying cars from their dealership. I don't see anything changing now.
Old 07-30-06, 08:41 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The problem is the authorities in this area claim it is a Cival case and not a Criminal case. Also, the dealership shouldn't be able to do anything to this guy because there is no lean holder as he paid cash. He should be the sole title holder. The dealership shouldn't be able to touch anything he owns. But, like I said, in the end the dealerhip will get away with it. Maybe the guy will get his truck, but business will go on as usual for this dealership. It looks like they have been doing this for years and many people have been complaining, but nothing is done to stop them and people keep buying cars from their dealership. I don't see anything changing now.
I would assume the dealership has bought and paid for the "local authorities". A contract is a contract. In any court action, if there is a more sophisticated party, it always has a bigger burden proving they were taken simply because they are more sophisticated. The dealership is selling dozens or even hundreds of cars a day for years. They agreed to a deal, signed a contract. and both parties performed their obligations. After that I think you could make a good case that there was grand theft auto (repossessing a car they did not own and not even bothering to try and have a court establish ownership), robbery (no mention was made of whether they returned the guys cash when they took the car - they get one or the other, not both), fraud (signing a contract they had no intention of honoring to get his money; using the phone in this deal also opens them up to mail fraud charges), and probably racketeering. With the history of complaints against the dealership, you would wonder why the vehicle buyer wasn't given more than the benefit of the doubt. But the local authorities can't find any criminal action? Nice to know there are places where you can still buy your way out of jail.
Old 07-30-06, 10:29 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd love to see them try and block me in. There'd be a LOOOOOOTTTT of people in jail and the hospital by the end of the day.
Old 07-30-06, 07:58 PM
LexFather

I am sure he is a nice guy and its a big misunderstanding.

We all need a hug

Old 07-30-06, 08:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sure he is a nice guy and its a big misunderstanding.

We all need a hug
ROFL@1Sick :-D
Old 07-30-06, 08:44 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Whoah, I'm not sure about Tennesse but in California it is totally illegal AND he could sue the dealership on top of it.

That's just wrong.

Kudos to him for getting all this publicity!
Old 07-31-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn this is as weird as it can be...... and i am very surprised they can still get away with it. like liz said, if they are in cali, they are sooooo toast
Old 07-31-06, 01:16 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely this is fraud in the execution. The BBB even stated that dealership had a higher than normal rate of complaints and some weren't even resolved. That's bad for business...
Old 07-31-06, 05:24 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm at a loss for words after reading that one. How can a place still operate after that? I mean really, it's not like GM is doing bad enough as it is...

This is why I'm all for buying factory direct and NOT going through dealerships... no offense, but these guys (among many others, and I don't forget the fact that there ARE good, honest ones in there, since my father is in the field) give a lot of honest dealerships a very bad name.
Old 07-31-06, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I'm at a loss for words after reading that one. How can a place still operate after that? I mean really, it's not like GM is doing bad enough as it is...

This is why I'm all for buying factory direct and NOT going through dealerships... no offense, but these guys (among many others, and I don't forget the fact that there ARE good, honest ones in there, since my father is in the field) give a lot of honest dealerships a very bad name.
How about factory-owned dealerships?.......or those that operate under tight factory policies like at Saturn? Saturn dealerships, to date, have been the only ones selling low-priced cars that generally rank up with Lexus and Infiniti dealers in customer satisfaction.
Old 07-31-06, 08:09 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp

Is it possible to buy factory direct? How would one go about doing that?
Old 07-31-06, 08:13 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill Heard has a Chevy dealership in Houston too - it has had many claims filed against it, many for typical "bait and switch" advertising. It is common to see newspaper ads for "NEW SUBURBANS - $7500 off MSRP". In actual fact, the vehicle in question was ONE "program car" (repo, lease return, or demo) that may have shown considerable wear - or was essentially a "stripped" vehicle - that was conveniently "sold" before the customer got to the dealership. So instead of a $23,000 '06, they would try to sell you a $36,000 '06 on a loooong contract. Not only did they make a killing on the sale, the financing was a gold mine.

Bill Heard doesn't have a lot of repeat business . . . wonder why?
Old 07-31-06, 08:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Is it possible to buy factory direct? How would one go about doing that?
i dont think factory direct wouldnt work much on cars produced outside the country, imagine paying tariffs duties and shipping on a single vehicle, just wouldnt be economical vs. a company sending cars over in bulk

since domestics are mostly made here you wouldnt have to deal with most of that
Old 07-31-06, 08:48 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I'd love to see them try and block me in. There'd be a LOOOOOOTTTT of people in jail and the hospital by the end of the day.
all I know is that the "click-clack" of a semi-automatic sidearm can give people some motivation

Quick Reply: Dealership Doesn't Like Deal, Takes Car Back