Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

July 2006 Car Sales Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 08:54 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
hm, again, I dont think anyone builds an vehicle to be last on the sales charts. And honestly, ML and X5 cost a lot more than FX, and are NOT sucessful in US market either.
No, no one builds a car to be last. The FX is not a success, but it's not an abysmal failure either. There's a reason that Infiniti targeted only 30,00 sales per year (which the FX met in the first 3 years), and it's because they knew that the FX would be a niche, love it or hate it SUV.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Its pretty hard to argue that Infiniti is doing good.
Not sure where you got this notion. No one said that.

--------------------------------------------------

The 2GS sold about 30,000 for its first 3 years, and then sales dropped significantly starting in its fourth year. But I didn't consider it a failure.
Old 08-02-06, 09:44 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS69
Entry Level Sales:
  • 3 Series 8,585
  • ES 7,803
  • TL 6,304
  • C Class 5,285
  • G35 3,128/2,090 - 5,218
  • IS 4,848
  • A4 2,917

Mid Level Sales:
  • E class 4,479
  • 5 Series 3,474
  • M 2,293
  • GS 1,776/299 - 2,075
  • A6 1,652
  • RL 1,272
I think Infiniti is doing OK right now. Obviously the new G Sedan should have been out already and the new G Coupe should have been coming this fall... but that aside, I think its doing well all things considered: the car has to sell itself, it has no brand name. IE if it had the Lexus, M-B, or BMW badge it would have been at the top, easily. It doesn't though, but it's still outselling the new IS (!) and keeping pace with the C class. Coupe for Coupe they've been outselling the 3 series, Ms excluded. All of this on a car that's now 4+ years old. So again, big picture, I dont think Infiniti is doing bad at all. When the G gets updated, sales will jump and theyll be doing very well.

Similar story with the M too. That car is even better than the G is, on a relative basis. Its sales are second only to the 5 series and E class. I don't think they can really be that disappointed.

To sum up, even though Infiniti is facing large Y/Y declines due to poor product management, the brand is still doing well all things considered.
Old 08-02-06, 10:04 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Luxury Sedans

Have not seen this done B4 so just out of curiousity:
  • S Class 2,233
  • 7 Series 1,308
  • LS 971
  • A8 440
  • Q 28
Old 08-02-06, 10:04 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are doing the right thing. Its not quite entry level luxury like the 3/IS/C/A4/G35 etc.
What feature does the A4 have that the TSX is lacking?
Old 08-02-06, 10:17 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biker
What feature does the A4 have that the TSX is lacking?
I agree. The TSX does have everything one would expect from an entry luxury car. The TSX is to the TL much like how the IS is to the ES--both entry luxury, but one in the compact sedan segment and the other in the midsize sedan segment, even though the TL is tuned sportier than the ES.
Old 08-02-06, 10:31 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool T S X

I think that the main reasons given for not considering it an entry level luxury sedan is the lack of 6 cylinder engine/RWD & the <$30 price.

I consider it entry level but can see where arguments can be made either way --- but let us not turn this into argument #3 of the sales thread (#1 - GS vs M sales, #2 BMW vs Lexus)

Old 08-02-06, 11:15 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
[COLOR=Indigo]I think that the main reasons given for not considering it an entry level luxury sedan is the lack of 6 cylinder engine/RWD & the <$30 price.
All those things can be said about the A4 (4-banger, FWD, $28k base price), and yet most people have no problem considering it as a entry level luxury sedan, like biker said. How is that fair?
I consider it entry level but can see where arguments can be made either way --- but let us not turn this into argument #3 of the sales thread (#1 - GS vs M sales, #2 BMW vs Lexus)
Well we need something to keep the forum alive don't we. (As long as we keep our arguments fact-based not flame-based it's all good right?)
Old 08-02-06, 11:33 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't consider the TSX a luxury sedan because it doesn't even offer a V6 option (the A4 does). But then, I'll readily admit that I am biased against 4 cylinder cars.

I bet that the next TSX has a turbo 4 cyl.
Old 08-02-06, 01:20 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CHIS350
Corrolla is up 17% and it didn't even have a redesign! Wow!
In the paper it said you can lease one for $99. Not a bad commuter car
Old 08-02-06, 01:24 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
I wouldn't consider the TSX a luxury sedan because it doesn't even offer a V6 option (the A4 does). But then, I'll readily admit that I am biased against 4 cylinder cars.

I bet that the next TSX has a turbo 4 cyl.
So if the Maybach had a 4 cyl engine it wouldn't be a luxury car?
Old 08-02-06, 01:34 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
I think Infiniti is doing OK right now. Obviously the new G Sedan should have been out already and the new G Coupe should have been coming this fall... but that aside, I think its doing well all things considered: the car has to sell itself, it has no brand name. IE if it had the Lexus, M-B, or BMW badge it would have been at the top, easily. It doesn't though, but it's still outselling the new IS (!) and keeping pace with the C class. Coupe for Coupe they've been outselling the 3 series, Ms excluded. All of this on a car that's now 4+ years old. So again, big picture, I dont think Infiniti is doing bad at all. When the G gets updated, sales will jump and theyll be doing very well.

Similar story with the M too. That car is even better than the G is, on a relative basis. Its sales are second only to the 5 series and E class. I don't think they can really be that disappointed.

To sum up, even though Infiniti is facing large Y/Y declines due to poor product management, the brand is still doing well all things considered.
No brand name? It obivously does if it goes head to head with MB, BMW and lexus. If infiniti had no brand recognition, then the GS would always be on top of the M but the M is doing better than the Rl and A6 and takes the #3 spot from the GS every so often. The G35 still pretty much outsells the IS. I agree that if it were a BMW or MB, then it would probably sell the most. They are building a pretty good name for themselves in its first generation of vehicles after its brand revival. But yes, they have poor product management. Not to sound like a brand ***** but i wouldnt have an infiniti or a lexus if it didnt catch peoples attention as being expensive and higher class.
Old 08-02-06, 01:38 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you really imagine a Maybach with a 4 cyl engine?
Old 08-02-06, 01:43 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Can you really imagine a Maybach with a 4 cyl engine?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-02-06, 02:08 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that would just be lame.
Old 08-02-06, 02:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

probably not :-).

But in reality, TSX is European Accord. A4's interior blows it away. This is why Audi is considered entry-luxury brand.

Of course, it is not as if Audi sells great in the US, they really dont, and a lot of that has the same reasons as why Acura is not doing that good.

Quick Reply: July 2006 Car Sales Official Thread