Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky owners in CL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 10:39 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is word of a new MR2?
Old 08-04-06, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I've been active on the Solstice and Sky forums and plan to get a Sky Redline, but no way in hell I'll touch a 1st year GM product. Just looking through all the problems that GM calls "normal" , differntials that leak, differentials that wine, trannys that clunk, misc body/trim problems. It seems every car has a different / new problem.

I drove a Solstice on the GM The Drive track next to Sahara in Vegas, it handled great and the view over the hood is unique. Just make sure your friend fits before he buys it, not a 6'2+ friendly car.

Here in San Diego Pontiac is way marking up the Solstice, so I said forget that. Saturn is not doing markups, BUT they are focing you to buy fully loaded cars, no option choices so they make maximum profit, even if you don't want the options. Also, no ordering, they call you when they arrive, take it or leave it. Yet another reason not to get a 1st year car, the dealersship experience is lousy. By the time the dealerships come around I'm sure the new Toyota MR2 will be out and I won't want the Sky anymore LOL.
Same here. The Sky sells at list, but " list " is pumped up several hundered dollars with mandtory dealer-installed ( Saturn-approved ) packages.

I haven't heard of a new MR2 coming out....the old one hasn't even been gone a year yet. If you get any more info on this please post it here in CAR CHAT. Thanks.
Old 08-04-06, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
I've been active on the Solstice and Sky forums and plan to get a Sky Redline, but no way in hell I'll touch a 1st year GM product. Just looking through all the problems that GM calls "normal" , differntials that leak, differentials that wine, trannys that clunk, misc body/trim problems. It seems every car has a different / new problem.

I drove a Solstice on the GM The Drive track next to Sahara in Vegas, it handled great and the view over the hood is unique. Just make sure your friend fits before he buys it, not a 6'2+ friendly car.

Here in San Diego Pontiac is way marking up the Solstice, so I said forget that. Saturn is not doing markups, BUT they are focing you to buy fully loaded cars, no option choices so they make maximum profit, even if you don't want the options. Also, no ordering, they call you when they arrive, take it or leave it. Yet another reason not to get a 1st year car, the dealersship experience is lousy. By the time the dealerships come around I'm sure the new Toyota MR2 will be out and I won't want the Sky anymore LOL.
Same here. The Sky sells at list, but " list " is pumped up several hundered dollars with mandatory dealer-installed ( Saturn-approved ) packages.

I haven't heard of a new MR2 coming out....the old one hasn't even been gone a year yet. If you get any more info on this please post it here in CAR CHAT. ( And, of course, I'll be looking for info myself ) Thanks.
Old 08-04-06, 01:22 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Same here. The Sky sells at list, but " list " is pumped up several hundered dollars with mandtory dealer-installed ( Saturn-approved ) packages.

I haven't heard of a new MR2 coming out....the old one hasn't even been gone a year yet. If you get any more info on this please post it here in CAR CHAT. Thanks.
Here in the Sacramento, CA area the dealers are loading them with aftermarket "Upgrades"--- rims, streo systems, paint and interior protection and the prices are inflated by not hundreds but thousands of $'s. Enough of the no markup BS.
Old 08-14-06, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the input, guys. There's a gray Solstice with automatic, two-tone interior and tan roof....just what he wants....at a local dealership ( well, about 25 miles from me ) . I went this morning to look it over and give them a deposit to hold it....and they will sell it at list or close to it. We'll pick it up tonight at 6 East Coast time...after he gets off from work.
Old 08-14-06, 10:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a member on here with a Mallet version of the Solstice. He has it as a sig. Car nuts should know the beasts Mallet churns out. Mallet's Solstice has the 400 horse LS2 v8 motor from the Vette
Old 08-14-06, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Dashocker....No, he's not looking at anything like that...especially with $3.00-plus gas prices. 177 HP and an automatic are fine for the traffic-clogged roads around here...besides, he's got to BUY the car first. The loan's been approved.
I gotta get some rest now ( took the day off work ). Looks like it might be a late night for me tonight.
Old 08-14-06, 10:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Dashocker....No, he's not looking at anything like that...especially with $3.00-plus gas prices. 177 HP and an automatic are fine for the traffic-clogged roads around here...besides, he's got to BUY the car first. The loan's been approved.
I gotta get some rest now ( took the day off work ). Looks like it might be a late night for me tonight.
The debates are heating up