Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky owners in CL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Any Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky owners in CL?

Is there anyone in CL who has bought a new or used Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky? ( There probably won't be many used ones at this time ). The reason I ask is that I'm about to start shopping with a friend who is ready for a new one ( probably a 2007 )...non-turbo, automatic. ( Yes, I know......the car is probably more fun with a stick but the awful D.C.-area traffic makes an automatic almost mandatory ).
He was ready at first last spring...and I found him a green Sky that was unsold ( no easy feat ) but he then decided to hold off. Now he is serious....called me tonight and said let's go, so I'm going to start searching again tomorrow morning and see what is currently available in this area at Saturn and Pontiac dealers, or what is soon coming in off the truck. He prefers the Pontiac styling but will consider a Sky...I told him that with Saturn's list-pricing policies, a Sky would probably be easier to bargain on and buy.....but I don't know that ( yet ) for a fact. And the Sky starts out more expensive than a Solstice, factory-price-wise, because it has more standard equipment and somewhat better trim.
So that's where you guys come in. I know the two cars, their platforms, specs, designs, etc.....pretty well, but I have not actually sat in on a deal for a classic 2-seater sports car like this for some time. ( I DID help another friend of mine find a couple of Viper GTS coupes for his exotic-car-rental company, and actually set him up on the phone with a salesman for one of them, but that was a long time ago ). The current Solstice and Sky have a reputation for being hard to get, and the Solstice does sometime bring markups....more so than the Sky, from what I understand.
So......like I said, that is where you guys come in. Have any of you actually bought or leased one of these two cars? How difficult was it to find? What was the deal and bargaining like? Were you satisfied with the deal and the price? Were you satisfied with the condition of the delivered cars? ( I usually inspect, test-drive, and sometimes even help prepare the car myself for those I shop with, especially for those who have little or no experience buying cars ). While I have helped many people over the years with their car-shopping, this, to some extent, with these two cars, will be at least somewhat of a new experience for me too. Any experience you guys have with Solstice or Sky purchases you have already made and your satisfaction or dissatisfaction will be appreciated.....it will help me have some idea of what to expect shopping for these cars and bargaining on them.

( See, guys.....I don't claim to be a know-it-all. I'm not afraid to ask for advice when I feel I might need it...even car advice )

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 06:53 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own one, but I tell you, he will sure turn some heads. There is a sky driving around here and people cannot stop staring at it on the road. Such a beautiful car.
Old 08-02-06, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHIS350
I don't own one, but I tell you, he will sure turn some heads. There is a sky driving around here and people cannot stop staring at it on the road. Such a beautiful car.
Thanks. I know the car turns heads like many 2-seaters, but I hope that the locating and buying process does not turn the stomach as well.
Old 08-02-06, 07:13 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If i were forced to pick between one or the other, i would pick the Saturn Sky. The car IMO looks better than the Solstice.
Old 08-02-06, 07:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Didnt buy one(not sure how much help I can be, sorry), but my aunts best friend did a month ago. When I ask him how much he paid he said 31K. . Loves the car like no other(doesnt even complain about paying over sticker). Didnt ask him any of the questions that you are looking for, but hes obviously so in love with the car it might be safe to say that he had a good dealership experience(or maybe the salesman had a good selling experience).
Old 08-02-06, 08:26 PM
LexFather

I think they are sweet cute lil cars

Old 08-03-06, 10:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately the Sky is much much better than the Solstice...
Old 08-03-06, 11:25 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not opt for a mx-5???
Old 08-03-06, 12:00 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

My friend went to Vegas 2 weeks ago and paid $30 to drive the Solstice, the Vette, and the H3 Hummer (off road). He said that the Solstice handled great on the track and was very responsive. He also said that upclose the car is even uglier than the picures

Oh and the Sky = Opel and Opel = Sex
Old 08-03-06, 12:39 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to a Saturn dealer with my friend last Sunday and they had absoultely no Saturn Skys. Not only that, but the sales person helping us said that every sales person there has a list of waiting customers for every color and trim level. He did say the cars came "well equipped" as its a buyers market right now and the sell well fully loaded. Also, there is little to no price negotiation on them as they are a hot commodity. If you dont want it at that price, many others will... So he and his waiting list say.

There was one getting detailed and prepped to be picked up that he let us look at. Honestly, I think the car is ugly and its body is way too high off the ground. Ive seen a few driving around and that car just really isnt that appealing to me. We did go next door (Pontiac dealer is right next to Saturn) and sat in a Solstice and it seemed ok. Im not a huge fan of that car either BUT I like it over the Sky.
Old 08-03-06, 12:47 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend of mine is building a Solstice for SEMA; I had the car here at the shop last Friday checking wheel clearance, and I got to drive it a bit. I know the cars are still in short supply- he flew from Orange County to the Bay Area to pick his car up, a dark blue on black 5-speed (it will be repainted very soon).

My guess is that once supply catches up with demand the price will come down- I wouldn't be surprised if we even saw some rebates on the Pontiac version. I drove the car and was utterly underwhelmed. The rock-cruncher four banger is unrefined and, frankly, does not feel very powerful. The shift linkage is somewhat rubbery, like stirring a big vat of mostly-dried silicone. Roll stiffness is good, body roll is minimal, but I thought the rear end was underdamped and seemed 'bouncy' on large dips.

The door panels are cheap and uninspiring; the interior is a mish-mash of H3 and other GM parts with little continuity. Visibility from inside the car is not great with the top up- I felt like I was driving an armored personnel carrier. The car looks better in photographs than it does in person; I thought it looked like a bathtub tipped upside-down in person. End rant.

If he's set on the Solstice/Sky, that's great. My guess is that convertible sales may slow down a bit come October/November in the snow belt states, so that might be a good time for him to buy (I'm sure I didn't even need to mention this).

So far, Solstice/Sky owners I've encountered have not test driven the new Miata - this is probably great news for GM!
Old 08-04-06, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I went to a Saturn dealer with my friend last Sunday and they had absoultely no Saturn Skys. Not only that, but the sales person helping us said that every sales person there has a list of waiting customers for every color and trim level. He did say the cars came "well equipped" as its a buyers market right now and the sell well fully loaded. Also, there is little to no price negotiation on them as they are a hot commodity. If you dont want it at that price, many others will... So he and his waiting list say.

There is no price negotiation on ANY Saturn product, by company policy. No discounts, no markups. They all sell for list, period...plus tax and tags. A dealership ( Saturn calls them retailers ) can lose their franchise if they don't follow this policy, and if a customer won't pay list then Saturn just doesn't sell them a car. On rare occasions, though, I have seen some Saturn " incentives " come in the mail....offers of discounts......but they are rare.

The Sky IS better-equipped and better-trimmed than the Solstice....that is one reason why it has a higher base price.
Old 08-04-06, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for your input, guys.
I DID recommend the Miata as an alternative to him several months ago, due to its availability, price, easy-to-use-top, and well-established record of reliability ( you roll the dice, of course, reliability-wise, with most GM products ) . He wasn't too cool on the idea, but didn't rule it out. He just likes the looks of the Solstice, that's all. Some people just fall in love with a car at first sight.

He told me last night he may just end up putting down a deposit ( most dealerships are asking only $1000, surprisingly low.....and refundable ), ordering one with the color and options he wants, and just waiting for it.
Old 08-04-06, 08:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually had a similar situation with a buddy of mine that was looking at the solstice when it was first released, in addition to the MX-5 which he later bought. Based on our experiences over a year ago, the dealers were really jacking up pricing on the car, and knew full well that they could sell it to another individual willing to pay a premium, if we weren't willing. Aside from this, I must say, after spending time with the the MX-5 over the course of a year now, that the ease and function of the roof alone makes the car worth it, along with trunk space. Be sure to have your friend test drive one, and get a feel for whats practical, as my conversation with Solstice owners has usually boiled down to the disatisfication of this area. Most people are sold purely on its looks, but to each his own.

Good luck
Old 08-04-06, 10:06 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I've been active on the Solstice and Sky forums and plan to get a Sky Redline, but no way in hell I'll touch a 1st year GM product. Just looking through all the problems that GM calls "normal" , differntials that leak, differentials that wine, trannys that clunk, misc body/trim problems. It seems every car has a different / new problem.

I drove a Solstice on the GM The Drive track next to Sahara in Vegas, it handled great and the view over the hood is unique. Just make sure your friend fits before he buys it, not a 6'2+ friendly car.

Here in San Diego Pontiac is way marking up the Solstice, so I said forget that. Saturn is not doing markups, BUT they are focing you to buy fully loaded cars, no option choices so they make maximum profit, even if you don't want the options. Also, no ordering, they call you when they arrive, take it or leave it. Yet another reason not to get a 1st year car, the dealersship experience is lousy. By the time the dealerships come around I'm sure the new Toyota MR2 will be out and I won't want the Sky anymore LOL.

Last edited by toy4two; 08-04-06 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky owners in CL?