Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus failing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 09:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, im not trying to argue that ES350 isnt a great car, I'm sure its very nice, but you have to agree, its not purely a Lexus. ..... Right now I have LS400 for a daily driver and GS430 for weekends.
No I don't have to agree, and in fact I don't agree at all. Similar to you, we have a 98 LS400 w/ nav for our daily driver and a heavily modified supercharged GS400 for weekends (and a 996 911).

I'll tell you that the ES350 is quieter and has significantly more luxury features than your GS430. I politely suggest you move past your mental roadblock on sharing a platform with other models and go try one out before badmouthing it out of hand. Try a UL model with the ML & the Gen 5 Nav, park assist, etc. Then come back and bump this thread with your impressions.
Old 08-02-06, 09:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIS350
Just wait for the next LS....it will shake up the luxe cruiser market like nothing has before.

I don't know how many of you have actually seen the next LS in person but......it's simply jaw droppingly stunning. Add that to how we KNOW it's going to perform and...
...and that it actually has a gear shifter unlike the gay-drive button thingy found in the new S class and 7 series.
Old 08-02-06, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
I upgraded from 1GS to 2GS, but the 3GS isn't doing it for me. Gorgeous but not distinctive. In fact, I don't really dig this whole "L-finesse" thing, I like when models look different. Why is it so necessary to make the whole lineup looking so similar that you can't tell one from another unless you're an expert. IMO my 2GS looks 100x better than 3GS.
Lol, I just got my second GS4 and I am already thinking ahead of 450h or 460....surely one will be my next ride.

As an owner of a 92 ES 300 manual, the new ES 350 is amazing, I cannot tell its based on a Camry at all, while my car, does have some less than luxury touches.

The ES 350 is truly amazing, I am shocked its an ES.

Old 08-02-06, 09:29 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No I don't have to agree, and in fact I don't agree at all. Similar to you, we have a 98 LS400 w/ nav for our daily driver and a heavily modified supercharged GS400 for weekends (and a 996 911).

I'll tell you that the ES350 is quieter and has significantly more luxury features than your GS430. I politely suggest you move past your mental roadblock on sharing a platform with other models and go try one out before badmouthing it out of hand. Try a UL model with the ML & the Gen 5 Nav, park assist, etc. Then come back and bump this thread with your impressions.
I don't care how nice the interior is if I have to fight the steering wheel during acceleration. That's not luxury. Lexus made a mistake shoving the 3.5 liter in the ES - IMO. Of course you can say "don't get on the gas" but ... I still think it's a mistake. Lexus should have moved the ES in the direction of "efficient, luxury family sedan" rather than "red-headed stepchild of the IS" - again - my opinion.

EDIT: Honestly - what's the point of the Avalon + ES350 combo? The good doctor Hannibal Lexus is in the building.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-02-06 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 09:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by videcormeum
I don't care how nice the interior is if I have to fight the steering wheel during acceleration. That's not luxury. Lexus made a mistake shoving the 3.5 liter in the ES - IMO. Of course you can say "don't get on the gas" but ... I still think it's a mistake. Lexus should have moved the ES in the direction of "efficient, luxury family sedan" rather than "red-headed stepchild of the IS" - again - my opinion.

M.
Caddy STS before and current DTS. Acura TL. Audi A4 FWD. Luxury cars with FWD and torque steer.
I do agree its more apparent than ever but it surely does not outweigh everything else.

Old 08-02-06, 09:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, even ES330 had more features than my GS, was quiter, etc. I did test drive one, and basically foudn it to be... well, a poor mans LS. But no matter how nice it is, it wont get you any thumbups like GS or LS.
Old 08-02-06, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can understand the LX470's sales slump. For god sake it's approaching 9 years old since it's debut. Same thing happened to the Acura integra, Acura NSX, etc. When you leave a car the same for too long, people get bored of it. They want something fresh.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-02-06, 09:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
I can understand the LX470's sales slump. For god sake it's approaching 9 years old since it's debut. Same thing happened to the Acura integra, Acura NSX, etc. When you leave a car the same for too long, people get bored of it. They want something fresh.
Yeah, but cars like LX, NSX and Integra are classics. Sure, the sales slump, but once they are discontinued they are greatly missed.
Old 08-02-06, 09:40 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Caddy STS before and current DTS. Acura TL. Audi A4 FWD. Luxury cars with FWD and torque steer.
I do agree its more apparent than ever but it surely does not outweigh everything else.
Ok ... but that's my point ... why emulate any of those models? Lexus already has a sport sedan. The DTS? Come on.

The ES should be a std hybrid/AWD optional. That'd be a good way to better establish their hybrid branding element "-h" and, supposing they have the capacity/supply available, would lower the price (economies of scale) of their hybrid tech ... hell, they've already basically developed the entire platform w/ the RX hybrid (roughly the camry platform) ...

Hailing this car as the next great innovation is blowing sunshine into Lexus' you know where.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-02-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 09:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I don't care how nice the interior is if I have to fight the steering wheel during acceleration. That's not luxury. Lexus made a mistake shoving the 3.5 liter in the ES - IMO. Of course you can say "don't get on the gas"

M.
So have you driven one? I have the exact same issue and think the RX350 has significant torque steer issues and would not buy one for that reason. I haven't had a FWD car since 1999 and they ususally 'bother me' too. I did not have that reaction in the ES350.... think they've done a very good job of minimizing the issue.

Oh, and I've given thumbs up to several ES350 drivers I've seen

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-02-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 09:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ha, Lexus is NOT failing.

Just you wait till the LS 460 comes out, then we will talk.
Old 08-02-06, 09:49 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

So have you driven one? I have the exact same issue and think the RX350 has significant torque steer issues and would not buy one for that reason. I haven't had a FWD car since 1999 and they ususally 'bother me' too. I did not have that reaction in the ES350.... think they've done a very good job of minimizing the issue.

Oh, and I've given thumbs up to several ES350 drivers I've seen
The car is $41,000 w/ nav and premium audio ...

No I haven't driven one. But I can think of so many better ways to spend the 40k I don't have right now.

But I've gotten us way off topic ... all that said, I don't think Lexus is failing at all. They (Toyota/Lexus) are doing almost everything exactly right. It's incredible. US and German manufacturers should be taking notes. Sadly, they're not.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-02-06 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 09:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, look at Infiniti for instance, they rid themselves of the I30/35 to distance themselves from Nissan. They stated that they are only interested in selling premium cars and I respect them for it. Or look at Acura, as much as they suck, even they are trying to distance themselves from Honda. I'm pretty sure that next gen TL and TSX will come with sh-awd
Old 08-02-06, 09:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

No I haven't driven one. .
OK, then I'll call it as I see it. More commentary without first hand knowledge.

Go drive one and report back before you 'blow sunshine' yourself .

Maybe you'll hate it still, maybe you'll be a convert like me.... but any value of your commentary on the ES350 is significantly diminished in my mind until you can speak from experience and not pure conjecture.

I've got my plans to get a LS460 in a couple of years as well (no PMs for part out dibs on my GS please) but have pretty much decided to get an ES350 over a 04/05 CPO LS430 after driving both to replace my daily LS400.
Old 08-02-06, 09:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I've got my plans to get a LS460 in a couple of years as well (no PMs for part out dibs on my GS please) but have pretty much decided to get an ES350 over a 04/05 CPO LS430 after driving both to replace my daily LS400.
And what if they were the same price?

Quick Reply: Is Lexus failing?