Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of Jag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 11:11 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never been a big fan of Jag's... Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-03-06, 11:20 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Rest In Peace Jaguar...

Sad that it maybe, Jaguar will always have it's place in history. Most of the other automobile manufacturers have moved on with reliability and technology and Jaguar fell too far behind...

Last edited by Trexus; 08-04-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-04-06, 05:55 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Jag died when Ford bought them, it's just been a long and drawn out funeral.
Very interesting comment with a lot of truth. I never felt an American company should have owned Jag with it's long British history. Maybe some other company but not an American. Ford buying Jag signified the beginning of the end because the connection was not strong enough imo.

I want to correct my earlier comment about there not being any innovative changes/improvements with Jag. The way they make their cars with aluminum space frames. They way they tack things together instead of using rivets. These innovations promote strenght and lighter vehicles. As 1sick said, they don't advertise it enough. They should be singing their own praises from here to the mountain top. Especially since the look is the same for so many model years. It tends to make people think there haven't been changes when in fact there were.
Old 08-04-06, 06:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ever been in an X type, unbelievable how bad that car is
Old 08-04-06, 06:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Quite sad if it happens. We had two XJ6s in the 80s, an 84 Vanden Plas and a regular 86. Repeatedly we got that joke about you buy two, one to drive and one to keep in the shop. We considered even changing out the motors to a Chevy. Lots of issues with both. My father wanted and XKE for many years, but those repeated failures just kept adding up. They were indeed beautiful vehicles.
Old 08-04-06, 06:41 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

That will leave a bad mark on Fords face.
Old 08-04-06, 07:29 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Jag died when Ford bought them, it's just been a long and drawn out funeral.
sad, but true
Old 08-04-06, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I used to want a Jag as a teen, but I can see that their time is almost over.
SICK and I have talked several times about whether Isuzu or Mitsubushi would be the next manufacturer to fold ( or at least leave the American market ). Perhaps neither one of us was correct.
Old 08-04-06, 08:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
Lexus + Jag = Im selling my right hand.
How about Lexus + Aston Martin???
Old 08-04-06, 08:59 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Well at least Car, Top Gear, Evo, Jeremy Clarkson, and the rest of the increasingly pompous British auto journalists won't have Jag to praise anymore. Even with all their inspiration, and a whole lot of Ford bucks, they couldn't make a competitive product.
Old 08-04-06, 09:16 AM
Gotham
Rookie

Shame, since the concept artwork for the next S-Type and XJ look very nice.

I really think the interior work on recent Jags (especially the S-Type) is part of the problem. Too many parts/control pieces have a Ford/Lincoln look and feel to them.

I would love to see Tesla Motors buy up both Jaguar and Land Rover. Give every model an all electric engine.

More realistically, I could see Nissan buying up Jaguar. Maybe slim down the model lines to only the XJ and XK.
Old 08-04-06, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gotham
More realistically, I could see Nissan buying up Jaguar. .
That's just what Jaguar needs...Carlos Ghosn and his cronies cheapening up the beautiful Jaguar interiors with junk like they did with Nissan and some Infinitis.
Old 08-04-06, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Maybe we should discuss WHY Jags aren't selling in sufficient numbers.

I think a big factor is the interiors and space efficiency (or lack thereof). The latest XJ is a bit better but front seat room really isn't that great.

The lingering doubts about Jag's reliability from bad times past is still there, even though they're much improved. It's certainly ironic that FORD improved Jag's quality, but that tie to Ford actually HURTS Jag's image too. But it must be a brand management issue because Chrysler really hasn't brought down the reputation of MB, but MB has brought UP the reputation of Chrysler I think. Maybe that's it - prestige maker takes over mainstream maker vs. the other way around.

The XK is a nice vehicle, but selling $80K convertibles and coupes in a questionable brand in sufficient numbers to make money isn't so easy.

The car business seems to be one where you either sell in small numbers at very high prices, or sell in huge numbers at lower prices. There's no in between UNLESS you can successfully and economically leverage your mainstream parts in your niche vehicles. I guess Ford hasn't been able to do that enough with Jag.

Finally, maybe there's a management problem. Being from England myself I've no doubt that there's a lot of pride/ego in the British Jag management, clinging to times long past, and still not 'getting' the realities of the modern car business. They're almost like Porsche was a little over a decade ago - people liked the designs, but the quality and profitability was small. What did Porsche do? They REINVENTED everything about the way they did business, and turned to JAPANESE consultants to help them revamp the way they make vehicles. I think Jag needs to do the same or it will dwindle into complete obscurity.
Old 08-04-06, 09:55 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Someone here earlier mentioned rumor Hyundai was looking at it... i would actually like to see that. As we all know, they've made some SERIOUS leaps in quality and design in the last couple years. I view them as the next serious competitor to Toyota in 10 years. Although, I do not know where that will leave them as far as powertrains go. I have not seen a good powertrain in a Jag lately, and Hyundai doesn't have any experience with anything but economy powertrains.

The new XK NEEDS a bump in horsepower. With both Mercedes and BMW, and Lexus soon, having upgraded V8's to over 350hp.... the 300 just does not cut it in this market.
Old 08-04-06, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe we should discuss WHY Jags aren't selling in sufficient numbers.

I think a big factor is the interiors and space efficiency (or lack thereof). The latest XJ is a bit better but front seat room really isn't that great.

Lack of space? OK....Maybe. You sure can't criticize much else about a Jag interior ( except maybe the quirky J-Gate shifter ).........they use some of the best quality materials in the buisness. The Jaguar wood and Connally leather did not get its reputation for nothing.

Quick Reply: End of Jag?