Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of Jag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 05:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default End of Jag?

I heard on the local news this morning that Ford ordered the assembly line to stop producing Jags and is planning to stop altogether. The reporter says Ford is losing millions on Jags and will end production as a move to get their finances in order.
Has anyone else heard this?
It would make sense. I don't believe Ford should have bought Jag in the first place. There has been little innovation and attention to the product. They've improved the quality by using Ford parts. But they haven't put enough energy to take Jag to the next level. I love the look of their cars but they look almost the same as they did 20 years ago. Thing is, I can't imagine who would want to buy Jag from Ford.
Old 08-03-06, 05:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's an article saying Ford is considering dumping Jag...along with all of their Euro brands.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...608030336/1014
Old 08-03-06, 05:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about Ford shutting Jaguar down but they will very likely be sold off. If there are no buyers, then you might have the final solution.
Old 08-03-06, 06:05 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Lexus + Jag = Im selling my right hand.
Old 08-03-06, 06:09 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not a huge fan of Jaguar, but it would kinda be a shame to see it die.

Congrats Toyota! -

The article mentions how Toyota passed Ford for the first time in US SALES in July.
Of course, Toyota passed them awhile ago worldwide, but now beats Ford on its own soil.
Old 08-03-06, 06:21 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's too bad Jaguar isn't doing well, but I'm not surprised either.

It was a big mistake for them to go down market with X-type, talk about brand dillusion. I love the
styling of the other cars from them, especially the XK.

If Toyota bought Jaguar, that would definitely give them a much better foothold in the European
market, but it will be many years until they are back in the black. It would be very cool to see.
Old 08-03-06, 06:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's hope someone decent buys Jaguar. Don't, under any circumstance, let the chinese get a hold of it! It'll be the end of Jaguar . They already revived MG Rover.

It'd be cool if Toyota took over. This way, they'll have a headstart on the part they only recently grasp - design. Not just good looking cause past Toyotas have been great but just not soul-stirring. Jaguars have that nice presence and I can't help but smile when I see one go by. Even the old-fashion interior layout/design is "cool". Add Toyota plastics and fit & finish and they'll have a good foothold in Europe.
Old 08-03-06, 07:13 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

This is sad; the XK is an incredibly beautiful car and a positive beacon for future Jags. I can hardly imagine an X-Type with amazing XK styling and handling. Jaguar would positively own all, if they didn't succumb to stupid parts sharing from the Ford bin. And, of course, if Toyota picked Jaguar up, then it would compete head to head with Lexus.
Old 08-03-06, 07:15 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
And, of course, if Toyota picked Jaguar up, then it would compete head to head with Lexus.
That's what I was thinking too, and I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 08-03-06, 10:07 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

New XK is attractive but overall fairly disappointing. It was not what I thought it would be. The biggest rumor I heard was that some Russians were possible buyers. Either way I think it probably is the end of what was Jaguar. Whatever it turns in to, and it will have to make money, it won't be what it once was.
Old 08-03-06, 10:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430
New XK is attractive but overall fairly disappointing. It was not what I thought it would be. The biggest rumor I heard was that some Russians were possible buyers. Either way I think it probably is the end of what was Jaguar. Whatever it turns in to, and it will have to make money, it won't be what it once was.
Kinda like the 3GS, fresh new body inside and out, carrryover engine. I love its looks but its a coupe that is no faster than a GS 430 let alone a 550 or a 450h.

They don't advertise the aluminum usage. The cars are light! The XJ looks like the last model. Teh S-type is horrendous. THe X-type is laughable, we never talk about it for instance, its like it does not exist.

I used to want a Jag as a teen, but I can see that their time is almost over.

Old 08-03-06, 10:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

mmm, XK with a tweaked UR series V8 makes me tremble
Old 08-03-06, 10:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Kinda like the 3GS, fresh new body inside and out, carrryover engine. I love its looks but its a coupe that is no faster than a GS 430 let alone a 550 or a 450h.

They don't advertise the aluminum usage. The cars are light! The XJ looks like the last model. Teh S-type is horrendous. THe X-type is laughable, we never talk about it for instance, its like it does not exist.

I used to want a Jag as a teen, but I can see that their time is almost over.
One review I read said the new XK did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and the one I drove didn't feel that fast. Handling is improved a bit over the previous gen but it came with a fair amount more harshness. Pass.
Old 08-03-06, 10:49 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's talk in the industry of Hyundai possibly buying Jaguar from Ford. For them, it's a direct path to the luxury market as opposed to having to build their reputation and coming out with a luxury division of their own. I can't quite cite my sources as I don't remember the name of the program, but I saw it on the TV today with some show talking about Ford and the automotive industry.

Last edited by Woogie; 08-04-06 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 10:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Jag died when Ford bought them, it's just been a long and drawn out funeral.

Quick Reply: End of Jag?