Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw my 1st SMART car in person today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 09:13 AM
Drocay
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's one in front of gym were i go too, but its badged as SMART
Old 08-04-06, 09:16 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

How can they approve this crap?

If even the crappiest (sp?) Kia flies into this car, the driver is dead.
Old 08-04-06, 09:47 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How SMART is this?

Photos courtesy http://vintagecars.about.com

BMW brought the Isetta over to our shores in the late '50's. It was TINY but possessed of a few advantages for urban use. First, it was not a car, but based on an Italian design and a 247cc (12hp) BMW motorcycle engine. You can imagine the fuel consumption was minimal, and to park it, you simply headed into the curb. It was shorter than "full size" cars are wide, and the front door opens, the steering wheel swings away, and you step UP to the sidewalk.

Available as a "2 1/2 seat" car with a rear package shelf over the engine, or later, as in the lower picture, as a "3? door", 4 (small) passenger car with a larger engine and stretched body, these little "bubble cars" were one of the oddest vehicles to ply the American road. Note the cool 10" rims, there were 4 of them, although (on the coupe) the rear pair were mounted just far enough apart to accommodate the transaxle, for about a 16" rear track.

Obviously, this was long before such amenities as crumple zones, impact absorbing bumpers, or even seatbelts. Technically, licensed as a motorcycle in most states, the Isetta never needed 'em. You furnished your own . . .
Old 08-04-06, 09:49 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3

not really. Smash a smart head-on to a stationary object (e.g. concrete barrier) at 70mph and the shell will stay intact. You can't say that about a Kia.
Old 08-04-06, 09:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, at the mercedes badge tuning
Old 08-04-06, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You're forgetting....there aren't any crappy Kias anymore. Those days are gone.
Old 08-04-06, 11:04 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Do some research please, the safety cell in the Smart is extremely strong
Old 08-04-06, 11:15 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
hahaha... what an ***... He bought a smart and put an MB emblem on it? LOL in your dreams buddy.

Yeah, I've seen a few smarts in my area with MB emblems. I'm like.. dude.. you think you bought a Mercedes for Cdn$20,000?!?! (Passion model). I laugh at thee.

Yeah, they're slightly longer than the span of your arms. Pretty economical.. I've heard anywhere from 3.8 to 4.5L/100km (52-60mpg roughly calculating). But it runs on diesel and has a tiny gas tank (22 litres) even though it gets equal or better mileage than me, they have to fill up as often as a regular car.

ACTAULLY... they come badged that way.... It's the MERCEDES Smart Car... Think Toyota and Scion.

Read On...

Is Smart Still a Smart Idea for Mercedes, for the U.S.?
Date posted: 01-04-2005

Just weeks before Mercedes-Benz was to officially launch its Smart brand and unveil a prototype of its first vehicle for the all-important U.S. market, plans appeared to be in turmoil.

Earlier in the fall, Smart's U.S. general manager, Scott Keogh, absolutely, positively confirmed that the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January would serve as the launching pad for Mercedes' newest brand. Further, it would be the stage for the worldwide debut of a thinly veiled prototype of Smart's first vehicle to be sold in the U.S., the Formore. Scheduled to go on sale in the second half of 2006, the vehicle would be the fourth model for the brand that has been selling in Europe since 1998.

In the weeks leading up to the big unveiling, word began to leak out of Germany that the Formore concept may not, after all, be shown in Detroit — too early with its launch just under two years away, one side was arguing. Not soon enough to lay groundwork for the brand, the other was insisting.

"I think Smart is a smart idea," says Susan Jacobs, auto analyst with New Jersey-based Jacobs and Associates. "Small vehicles with appealing styling — like the Mini — are going to be popular with young buyers. So if Mercedes can bring these vehicles in at an affordable price — $15,000 or less — it has an opportunity to capture the baby boom echo kids as they come into the market. Strategically, for Mercedes, having a foot at that end is smart."

On a macro level, however, Mercedes-Benz is reconsidering and rethinking more than just the launch of the brand and the unveiling of a concept in the U.S. It is reexamining all aspects of the money-losing Smart.

Smart was conceived in the 1990s by Mercedes-Benz in Europe as a vehicle to draw young, hip, urban drivers into Mercedes. It also was an experiment in how to manufacture and retail cars in an innovative manner. (Does Saturn ring a bell?)

In the beginning, in fact, the Swatch watch company was a partner in the venture, which generated the idea to sell the Smart cars in displays like Swatch watches are sold. Indeed, some Smart dealerships in Europe are glass towers that display the colorful Smarts on various levels, like watches.

But Smart has never delivered the sales Mercedes expected, nor has it ever earned a profit.

The original target of 300,000 sales a year has been scaled back to 155,000 in 2004. And the goal to make a profit has been pushed back two years to 2006, the year it is supposed to go on sale in the U.S.

The impact of Smart's losses is being felt companywide. In December, DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes Car Group shocked investors by reporting profits lower than its U.S. sister, the Chrysler Group, in the third quarter. DaimlerChrysler finance chief Manfred Gentz blamed the continued losses at Smart for the poor third-quarter earnings results and said all options would be considered when deciding the future of the brand. The company later denied it would shut down Smart.

Earlier in the fall, rumors swirled that French automaker PSA Peugeot-Citroëen was about to take the failing Smart off DaimlerChrysler's hands. DaimlerChrysler management quickly tried to squelch. Supposedly top management at Mercedes has assured the folks at Smart that it has no plans to dump the brand and, instead, has plans to grow it, including possibly selling it in China.

To complicate matters further, as Smart's U.S. staff names the 80 dealers it has appointed here to carry Smart and gears up for the 2006 launch of the Formore, a Northern California company has won approval from the Environmental Protection Agency to sell Smart's Fortwo two-seater microcar in the U.S.

Electrical vehicle maker, Zap, of Santa Rosa, Calif., claims it now has $2.9 million worth of orders for the two-seaters, the first of which was put on eBay. Zap does not buy Smarts through DaimlerChrysler but through a partnership with an individual who obtains the cars from dealers in Europe and imports them to the U.S., where they are modified to meet U.S. crash and emissions standards.

If plans proceed in the U.S. as originally conceived by Mercedes, Smart will have 80 dealers in about 50 of the nation's largest cities. The first vehicle will be the Formore, a small four-door, four-seat (thus the name) all-wheel-drive utility that is built in Brazil.

In addition to the two-seat Fortwo microcar, which is sold in neighboring Canada, Smart recently launched in Europe the Forfour. It has plans for larger, more powerful future generations of its various models by the end of the decade.

But like plans for the U.S., those plans could be in question
Old 08-04-06, 12:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, where in that did it say it's badged as a Mercedes?

smarts sold up here are badged with the smart logo and the word "smart"

MB emblems can be bought for a few hundred dollars and added on. Just like how some have done so with the Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter but in that case, it really is a Mercedes rebadged as a Dodge. In the case of smart, it's a separate company (or division if you want to put it that way).

Like you said, think Toyota and Scion. Specifically, think the tC. You don't put a Toyota emblem on a tC cause it's not a "Toyota" vehicle (so to speak) unlike the xA (Ist) and xB (bB)
Old 08-04-06, 12:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have shown this picture before, but the Smarts in Mexico all have their little logo as you can see in this photo at my track.
Attached Thumbnails Saw my 1st SMART car in person today (pics)-smartlexus.jpg  
Old 08-04-06, 01:03 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Check out this SMART car. 13,500 rpm 180hp.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...very-smart-car
Old 08-04-06, 01:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Check out this SMART car. 13,500 rpm 180hp.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...very-smart-car
The one in my photo was about 3 seconds slower than me, which is huge in drag racing.
Old 08-04-06, 01:40 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The one in my photo was about 3 seconds slower than me, which is huge in drag racing.
In a car that small, the driver's contirbution to the power/weight ratio is pretty significant. Maybe a jockey rather than a driver is required - someone on the order of 80-90 pounds. Any supermodels looking for a ride?
Old 08-05-06, 10:38 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Check out www.smartuki.com
Old 08-05-06, 11:06 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Goto Europe and they are every other car on the road. They even have a sports car version.

Quick Reply: Saw my 1st SMART car in person today (pics)