Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Licence Plate Cover - Block Photo Rador/Red LIght Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 08:33 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,
I just got my car back from the bodyshop (excellent work btw) and we went to eat at Chinatown. We came back and my wife says we got a ticket. I was thinking, we came back way before the meter expired. Looking at the ticket more closely, it says cover plate over license. I guess their information couldn't say photo glare blocker or something so I got a ticket for $50 and $10 to have an officer fix-it., totalling $60.

Well, guess what, I'm going to remove the plastic cover I got from Target, remove the photo film, and put the license plate back on and have it signed. Once it's signed, it's back on. Never did I get a ticket for the last 2 years I've had it on. My car was parked when I got the ticket!!!!!

Deja Vu
Old 08-06-06, 12:34 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UberNoob
or make fake plates and put them in a rotating drum like in The Transporter
lol jk
That idea has crossed my mind.
Old 08-08-06, 12:25 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yeah these plates are illegal in most states and provinces if not all

a better way to avoid getting the camera get a pic of the licence plate is to not speed
but if u have to, there is another way to hide the numbers
its illegal also but harder to detect

clearcoat

anyways i wouldnt do it
RCMP across canada dont like licence plate covers at all and it is against the law
so its best that u dont put one on because ull get a ticket for it even if u dont speed
won't work, I fell for that spray on scam. I did some night pics with my camera, made it even easier to read.

The best thing to do is switch cars with your girl, they mail the ticket to her with you driving, simple "not me" on the ticket, mail back. Reverse when she gets nailed.

OR put your arm over your face as you blow a red light camera (NOT ME), or if you have a motorocyle with full face helmet, they can't prove anything in court, or you can do what most bike riders do and cover your rear plate with you leg LOL.
Old 08-08-06, 12:26 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3
Forget the plate... those are crazy illegal. Get the spray thats PROVEN to work...

http://phantomplate.com/

WARNING, SCAM SCAM SCAM, don't waste your money. You can buy that for $5 at home depot its clear laquier and does NOTHING for you. I have 1/4 a can left of that Phantom crap if anyone in SD wants it.

The police can view the negatives where your numbers are clear as day, this trick worked for about 1 minute many years ago until the police discovered you just view the negative image.
Old 08-08-06, 02:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

In Mexico CIty proper, they have speed cameras that take the photo from behind (we all have those plates at least). Some of the other Mexican states are hooked in, but American plates are not included (you can imagine tourists complaining if they every figured out a legal system...which they won´t) and you pay our ticket when you go in for emissions testing (about $24 USD every time they catch you going over about 48 mph). I am actually careful when I drive to work in the morning in my uncle´s Caravan, but so far no tickets as I check online.

The local papers recently showed pictures of kids giving the finger as they go by the cameras along with nice little moons with their pants pulled down. Some of the guys at my track run up the speed for fun and love to show off their tickets for 140 mph+ (always $24 USD ticket regardless).

None of the things talked about in this thread have really worked for them as the police do not enforce license plate cover issues.
Old 08-08-06, 04:09 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The local papers recently showed pictures of kids giving the finger as they go by the cameras along with nice little moons with their pants pulled down. Some of the guys at my track run up the speed for fun and love to show off their tickets for 140 mph+ (always $24 USD ticket regardless).
Now THAT'S comedy

Javier
Old 08-08-06, 05:26 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys need some photoblocker spray go to there website it has been tested by the denver police and it works !!!
Old 08-08-06, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Got damn revenue generating governmet.

CAMERAS AT STOPLIGHTS HAVE NEVER BEEN PROVEN TO REDUCE ACCIDENTS!!!

Old 08-08-06, 07:31 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

woh ! chill bro lol
Old 08-09-06, 05:11 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

True, true....I get very tired of Big Brother always watching!
Old 08-09-06, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What cameras have done is basically exchange one type of accident for another. They have cut way down on T-Bone and side impacts, but at the same time have caused an increase in rear-enders when people slam on their brakes.
VA, after having them for several years, outlawed cameras in July of last year. I don't think that would have happened if they were such a great source of just generating revenue.
Old 08-09-06, 10:51 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

In San Diego they are considering scrapping the whole camera system. It turns out it is costing San Diego even more to maintain these camera intersecions than they are generating in revenue.

Yet another waste of tax payer money.

The costs to tear up the intersection to install the sensors, the equipment itself, the salary for the guy(s) that have to maintain, collect the film, and the processors. Not even counting the big lawsuit San Diego lost because the lights flashed too early and there was a 3rd party involved. Just a huge waste of money, and absolutley no reduction in accidents. I've almost been rear ended twice now slamming on my brakes, as soon as a light goes yellow now, NO MATTER WHAT, I'm stopping early.

Last edited by toy4two; 08-09-06 at 10:57 PM.