Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Kia Amanti (facelift)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 04:24 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
I rented 1, well got stuck with it but it felt and drove like your typical older american car, very loose, it may have been through the renter abuse of 8000 miles but even a Corolla still feels solid with 20k on it with routine daily renter driving it, the KIA felt so disconnected with the road that I took it back for a Magnum wagon
Kia tuned the car that way from the beginning. That's how they feel brand new.

Almost every review I've read has mentioned the poor steering and handling/suspension.

M.
Old 08-06-06, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

If the taillights were clear I wouldn't even know what direction it's supposed to go in.
Old 08-06-06, 07:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Always was an ugly car IMO. At least Kia had no shame in saying that they copied Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, and Saab styling.
Old 08-06-06, 08:53 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Always was an ugly car IMO. At least Kia had no shame in saying that they copied Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, and Saab styling.
Some have suggested that KIA stands for Korean Imitation Automobiles.
Old 08-07-06, 04:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have reviewed this car but did not do a formal write-up on it. Yes, it borrows its styling from several other makes.....Mercedes, Jaguar, and Lincoln, for example, but so what? It has something VERY few cars still have today with the obsession for race-car handling............riding comfort, though at the cost of a lot of body roll and classic understeer.
Old 08-07-06, 07:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

maybe if those two chicks came with it, sales would go up? just an thought...
Old 08-07-06, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Almost every review I've read has mentioned the poor steering and handling/suspension.

M.
True.....but this car is not meant to be a sports car. It is built for the Interstates and cruising, where it does a good job of road isolation.....better then most other cars on today's market.

There are ENOUGH sports sedans on the market...and more every year. We need some more good alternatives....cars that don't pound you over bumps.
Old 08-07-06, 10:55 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True.....but this car is not meant to be a sports car. It is built for the Interstates and cruising, where it does a good job of road isolation.....better then most other cars on today's market.

There are ENOUGH sports sedans on the market...and more every year. We need some more good alternatives....cars that don't pound you over bumps.
I agree with you about this, as I have in the past. And before I say too much, I might go drive one to make sure the mags aren't just panning this car b/c it's a Kia. But from what I've read, this car isn't just floaty, it's almost uncontrollable over bumps and around corners - almost to the point of being dangerous I think I read somewhere. Again though, I don't know if that's true - just what I've read.

My dad's Kia Optima (last gen) was a good compromise b/t ride comfort and controlled handling - it also has the best interior for the money (he paid $14,000 for the EX 4-cyl a few years back). While I think Kia's marketing tagline "The Power to Surpise" is a little corney, the Optima certainly did surprise us when we went shopping with its incredible mix of build-quality, long drivetrain warranty, interior amenities/electronics (climate control for instance is std on the EX), and value. It's also been very reliable.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-07-06 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I agree with you about this, as I have in the past. And before I say too much, I might go drive one to make sure the mags aren't just panning this car b/c it's a Kia. But from what I've read, this car isn't just floaty, it's almost uncontrollable over bumps and around corners - almost to the point of being dangerous I think I read somewhere. Again though, I don't know if that's true - just what I've read.

My dad's Kia Optima (last gen) was a good compromise b/t ride comfort and controlled handling - it also has the best interior for the money (he paid $14,000 for the EX 4-cyl a few years back). While I think Kia's marketing tagline "The Power to Surpise" is a little corney, the Optima certainly did surprise us when we went shopping with its incredible mix of build-quality, long drivetrain warranty, interior amenities/electronics (climate control for instance is std on the EX), and value. It's also been very reliable.

M.
i am pretty sure that Kia Amanti taking an curve is not an safety issue, heh...

journalists are crazy...
Old 08-07-06, 07:34 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Guys, I'm pretty sure that's not the new Kia Amanti.

In Korea, there are two high-end level cars. The one that is well known in the US is the Hyundai Equus which has yet to meet the US markets but there's been word that it's coming to America and IMO, is not a bad looking car at all.

The one pictured here is the Opirus which is supposed to be at the same entry level as the Equus IF NOT higher. The Opirus is chosen as transport by many wealthy Korean families along with BMW's and Mercedez. Lexus is not as big but the market is growing quickly.

The car picture here will not be the new Kia Amanti. I'm almost positive. I'm probably 90% sure.
Old 08-07-06, 07:36 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I'd also like to add that the model on the right in the picture is quite attractive... yes... quite attractive...
Old 08-08-06, 04:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
Guys, I'm pretty sure that's not the new Kia Amanti.

In Korea, there are two high-end level cars. The one that is well known in the US is the Hyundai Equus which has yet to meet the US markets but there's been word that it's coming to America and IMO, is not a bad looking car at all.

The one pictured here is the Opirus which is supposed to be at the same entry level as the Equus IF NOT higher. The Opirus is chosen as transport by many wealthy Korean families along with BMW's and Mercedez. Lexus is not as big but the market is growing quickly.

The car picture here will not be the new Kia Amanti. I'm almost positive. I'm probably 90% sure.
opirus is sold as amanti in the US... it is just an facelift, so "old" amanti, exterior wise looks very similar...
Old 08-08-06, 04:21 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
opirus is sold as amanti in the US... it is just an facelift, so "old" amanti, exterior wise looks very similar...
Yeah.

Equus is RWD while the Opirus is FWD. Equus is available w/ V8 while the Opirus (unless I'm mistaken) is not.

So I'd say, without much hesitation, that the Equus is the more prestigious of the two within the Hyundai Motors Group. The Opirus is Kia Motors' top model, however.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-08-06 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My
M.
Go drive one, and enjoy yourself. I'll look forward to your review. Just keep your speed down in the corners. This car is not a Porsche 911. It has a LOT of body roll and a lot of understeer. Drive it like it is supposed to be and it is a nice comfortable cruiser.

On the new 2007, though, it will be interesting to see if Kia tries to firm the chassis and tires up like Lexus did with the new ES350. I hope not...like I said, we currently have enough sports sedans on the market. ...the current Amati is a good alternative.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-06 at 04:39 AM.