Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Acura TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 03:55 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

OK someone help me out here since I am no expert on the TL. The only differences I see are the side blinkers, dark rims, the fishnet stuff behind the grill & I think the steering wheel is different -- am I missing anything?
Picture of mine.....rims, fogs, headlights, color and possibly a tail-light change is all that changed. Interior steering wheel looks like it. Not worth the excitement over a base TL imho.

Old 08-06-06, 03:57 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No they finally got rid of the family car 4 spoke wheel and got a sport sedan 3 spoke one. Side markers were coming, TSX and I think RL have them.

I think they did a good job making minimal changes, its a good design. I wonder if the rear got Altezzas though?
You know whats funny though. The G35 (new one) has that same style looking steering wheel. I mean almost a exact copy.

Last edited by KrazyLexus; 08-06-06 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-06-06, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Wow, that is very similar

Old 08-06-06, 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
next gen TL will probably have SH-AWD standard or at least offered

in 07 3 out of 5 models will have SH-AWD, RL MDX, RDX, only models left are the TL and TSX which are going to get redesigned in a few years
The MDX at least does not have SH-AWD - it has what Acura calls "VTM-4® 4-wheel drive system".
Old 08-06-06, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Bit... as to it competing with those cars, I think it will. The fact is there are still those out there who live in snowy climates and don't want to be changing tires twice a year, this might just be the car for them as
1) Lexus has no equavalent in AWD
The IS250AWD?

personally I see it as a nice extension to the line but unfortunately as pointed out, it will have serious torque steer, even though the 2006s had less than the 2005s per Acura.
Can't remember if it was an 05 or 06 I thrashed around a cone course at a car comparo event, but I was really impressed by how little torque steer I noticed.
Old 08-06-06, 07:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Did you catch in that scan it says...

Discuss... (incoming! )
lol, i actually wanted to post about that 2 times, but removed my post (didn't wanna stir it up). it's really funny it says es350. i don't even know if i should say it's unfair to lexus or they "downgrade" the tl-s. one thing for sure, acura is trying to do two things with the tl-s when lexus has both the is350 and es350, but for most car mags comparison and such, i think they should put the is350 against it

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wouldn't doubt Acura had tried 300hp on the TL already, but they probably ran into even more torque steer. SH-AWD shall fix that, in 10 years when Honda decides they want to man up
funny how honda stick so bad behind fwd and awd, and just keep on missing rwd. and it's not like they can't make good rwd cars, look at the s2k and nsx.

and about 300hp tl? hehee, maybe they have problems with the tranny again? ok, i am being a bit sacarstic here

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Picture of mine.....rims, fogs, headlights, color and possibly a tail-light change is all that changed. Interior steering wheel looks like it. Not worth the excitement over a base TL imho.
you missed the side mirrors. talk about similarities, i think the 02 and 03 tl and tls had LESS difference than this new tl and tl-s comparison. but looking at the 02-03 tl-s, just the engine and suspension a lot of people already wished they got the tl-s instead

with a more powerful engine and more sporty suspension, i think that should be what people are looking after. not cosmetic
Old 08-06-06, 07:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice redesign. I like the new updated look, though it looks more like a TSX. Not sure if the Type-S will be significantly faster though. The regular TL already has tons of torque steer. Will the upgrade even be worth it??

I kept thinking Altima SE-R when I read the first post.

Until I drive one, I do not think the differences are that significant compared to the previous gen TL and TL-S.
Old 08-07-06, 06:46 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
the current one HAS fogs, but it's just in the headlight housing together i believe. definitely a good thing they put separate fogs. i guess they are listening to people
I'm fairly certain the current TL does not have fog lights.
Old 08-07-06, 07:13 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry...

But it looks like a "stretched-out Civic on roids".
Old 08-07-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap
I'm fairly certain the current TL does not have fog lights.
here you go

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=fog

it HAS foglights, it's just in the headlights assembly altogether
Old 08-07-06, 09:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Sorry...

But it looks like a "stretched-out Civic on roids".
its too bad the TL came out 2 years before the new civic so shouldnt you be calling the civic a smooshed TL
Old 08-07-06, 10:01 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
I stand corrected, thanks. Honestly, I have never seen a TL with its fog lights on.
Old 08-07-06, 10:09 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its too bad the TL came out 2 years before the new civic so shouldnt you be calling the civic a smooshed TL

True, true.
Old 08-07-06, 10:26 AM
TidaLXWaVe
Driver

hopefully with the new generation TL's, they can improve on the transmission and have smoother shifts.

Of course, sh-awd + increase hp + better transmission = one of the top sedans under 40k

from the pics, the rims definately make the tl more aggressive compared to the stock rims existing tl's get right now.

This is one vehicle in the Acura line they must ensure success with every new generation.
Old 08-07-06, 11:05 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the car look great even though Acura is still pulling that b.s. with fwd. Even though I love the IS350 power if I had a family I would have no choice but to purchase a TL or G35. To be honest most buyers with family or a wife are look for more space. But for me it got be a coupe no matter what.

Last edited by rogers2; 08-08-06 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Acura TL Type S