Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Acura TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
I see what you're saying. I'm just saying, if someone has narrowed their car choices to just two cars, the IS350 and the TL-S, why they might choose the TL-S over the IS350. The TL-S does have much more room than the IS350, and FWD is generally easier to drive in snow than RWD. Those ARE non-performance based reasons.

By snow "performance" I don't mean performance as in pushing the car, but just general driveability.
I totally agree with you here. The TL backseat is larger, and well, its a larger car, its like the G35, midsize dimensions, entry level price, which was worked very well for them.

I think this car will continue to be Acuras best seller and still fight for most sales in class.

Old 08-10-06, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
current TL is around low 6 to 6 flat I think, high 5s is what I think, not mids
if it's just high 5, then that's some disappointing numbers imho. look back into 02 when that generation tls came out, remember how much it stirred up the industry coz' it's so fast in class that it went head to head with 330i and quite a bit ahead of competition?

now with the new tl-s, if it's just doing high 5s, then that means it's close to the bottom? considering how fast the is350 and the 335i are (low 5). that's 1/2 sec difference.

and again, imho, between the tl-s and the is350, 39k vs 42k sticker (both loaded), considering the difference (some is350 is extra some tl-s is extra), just not sure if i will justify the sticker price of the tl-s.

i am happy about the changes acura is trying to make though. my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-06, 10:31 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Acura

Acura has to know that they are the limits of their FWD ... yes, this Type S is a bit of a disappointment compared to the competitors but it was only a mid cycle refresh. I am sure in 2009, Acura will have 300+ hp w/ SHAWD. For some reason, I doubt RWD but 1 never knows.

Also, I am so not feelin' the tail lights of the stock 2007 TL.
Old 08-10-06, 11:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

in the 07 model year Acura will have 3/5 of their models with SH-AWD (RL RDX MDX), i wouldnt be surprised if by the TSX and TL redesigns they will either have standard SH-AWD or have them as an option.
Old 08-10-06, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
So funny to hear people here complain about the performance on the TL and how it's not a bump in performance. Do I have to remind you of the release of the new GS300 and GS430? Such a disappointment. You can hybrid that thing to death and it still not going sell more than the 5 series. Lexus mistake
Man the engine move to 3.5 liter and more hp. It's a family car. No woman needs 306hp to go to the grocery and work? As far as I’m concern Lexus doesn't make a performance car except the is350 and that's in a straight line. Only a few magazines pick the IS350 over the Bimmer. The TL type S is just a faster ES350 not a IS350 challenger no matter what the magazines says. One day Acura will learn but as long as people keep buying the TL what can I say!! A lot people say people buy Acura because they’re a lot cheaper compare to what? A Mercedes maybe not a Lexus, if the bank can loan me 39K, 42K is what an extra 50 dollars a month. All i'm trying to say is that were being a little rough on a car that's only 39K and full loaded.
well at leat you never saw approvals from me on the gs300 and gs430. starting from the beginning i already said they are mistakes and if lexus weren't ready with the gs350 and gs460, dont' come out with the new car. they shouldn't rush the car out with a sub par engine that no one is going to love

fact is, a lot of people want performance out of their cars of this size. they want power on the straight. so there is nothing wrong having more power. and applying what you said, why did they bother to come out with the tl type s anyway? obviously acura is trying to make the car faster and more sporty. by all means i say that car should go head to head with the is350 (at least i would). if it's just towards the es350, then there shouldn't be "sport tuned suspension", coz' it's for sport, not for comfort

my 2 cents
Old 08-11-06, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
So funny to hear people here complain about the performance on the TL and how it's not a bump in performance. Do I have to remind you of the release of the new GS300 and GS430? Such a disappointment. You can hybrid that thing to death and it still not going sell more than the 5 series. Lexus mistake
Man the engine move to 3.5 liter and more hp. It's a family car. No woman needs 306hp to go to the grocery and work? As far as I’m concern Lexus doesn't make a performance car except the is350 and that's in a straight line. Only a few magazines pick the IS350 over the Bimmer. The TL type S is just a faster ES350 not a IS350 challenger no matter what the magazines says. One day Acura will learn but as long as people keep buying the TL what can I say!! A lot people say people buy Acura because they’re a lot cheaper compare to what? A Mercedes maybe not a Lexus, if the bank can loan me 39K, 42K is what an extra 50 dollars a month. All i'm trying to say is that were being a little rough on a car that's only 39K and full loaded.
What on earth?
1. Lexus is not TRYING to beat the 5 in sales. They had sales objectives the first year of 36,000 sold and Lexus met that. 2nd year sales have dropped.
2.[I] No woman needs 306hp to go to the grocery and work[/I], well that is sexist. I guess woman shouldn't have driver's licenses either? Maybe they should just wash the car?
3. No doubt the TL is a great selling car.

Old 08-15-06, 02:01 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You might not want believe it but lexus/toyota is about selling as many cars as possible. Trust me Lexus would like to sell more GS than 5 series. I'm not being sexist I really don't think alot men or women can handle a 300 hp car. My girlfriend everyday talks about how she would like to purchase an M3. Guess what! I probaly would never ride in the car with her if she purchase one b/c she barely can handle the GS. To be honest I really don't know why Acura is pushing a TL type S. They need to concentrate on a dam shawd coupe. But most companies are about making money so i'm sure a few people will purchase the TYPE s.
Old 08-15-06, 03:24 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb M3

My friend got a new M3 a few years ago & yes, it is very scary riding w/ him. On the other hand, I know a young college girl who got an IS350 last year & drives it like my great grandmother. What I am getting @ is people can cram as much power into engines as they want but not everyone who buys it is going to drive it like a racecar.

As for the TL: I am pretty sure Acura had no choice as adding SHAWD was probably not feasible for a mid cycle refresh but they had to do something to compete w/ the G35 & ES350. The Type S (which they said would not return) was just their quick fix answer until the next generation.

Last edited by GS69; 08-16-06 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-15-06, 05:11 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
My friend got a new M3 a few years ago & yes, it is very scary riding w/ him. On the other hand, I know a young college girl who got an IS350 last year drives it like my great grandmother. What I am getting @ is people can cram as much power into engines as they want but not everyone who buys it is going to drive it like a racecar.

As for the TL: I am pretty sure Acura had no choice as adding SHAWD was probably not feasibl for a mid cycle refresh but they had to do something to compete w/ the G35 & ES350. The Type S (which they said would not return) was just their quick fix answer until the next generation.

thats what im was thinking, but when i test drove a 04 TL, it felt pretty fast already but it had torque steer up like i never felt before, but the refreshed TL i think is hot, i'll buy a Type S only for the quad exhaust pipes, they to me look sick