Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

From my understanding, HPX is confirmed to come

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Exclamation From my understanding, HPX is confirmed to come

Yeah, I've got too many sources saying its coming, so its coming, just as many of us early said the IS 500 was coming.
GS based, RWD, AWD offered, sporty SUV, hybrid power as an option.

Basically the X5/FX/Cayenne etc fighter.

I have heard though possible 7 seats offered, not sure how what would be possible. Most point fingers at 5 seater.

Lexus is seeing the SUV market possibly really change as gas prices continue to rise all over the world and the X5/Cayenne has been a huge success as sporty SUVs for their car makers.

In Europe, SUVs and Crossover sales are skyrocketing, traditional family saloons (Sedans) sales are plummeting.

Can someone post pics of the HPX?

Oh and not sure of its name.

Old 08-06-06, 07:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The first Lexus concept to use the L-Finesse design I think.
Old 08-06-06, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In Europe, SUVs and Crossover sales are skyrocketing, traditional family saloons (Sedans) sales are plummeting.
Oh the irony... how many people in the U.S. have said why can't "stupid" Americans be more like Europeans and be content to drive small sedans, hatchbacks and "estates" (station wagons). Well guess what, they like SUVs too, LOL.
Old 08-06-06, 08:24 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the term skyrocketing could be misleading, you have to look at the overall sales and see how many of those are SUV's. I personally dont think that SUV's sell that well in light of the VAT and fuel prices.
Old 08-06-06, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Oh the irony... how many people in the U.S. have said why can't "stupid" Americans be more like Europeans and be content to drive small sedans, hatchbacks and "estates" (station wagons). Well guess what, they like SUVs too, LOL.
The charts I have in my new CAR show this. Luxury saloons have been stable in sales. Its the family cars getting hit.

Old 08-07-06, 09:38 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

and i'm looking at this HPX and it's still doesnt have that presence that some of the SUV's/X-overs that it's competing against has. I know it's a conceptual, but i feel that it needs to be a bit more aggressive/masculine if they want to attract the Male drivers.
Old 08-07-06, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
and i'm looking at this HPX and it's still doesnt have that presence that some of the SUV's/X-overs that it's competing against has. I know it's a conceptual, but i feel that it needs to be a bit more aggressive/masculine if they want to attract the Male drivers.
What's un- " male " about it the way it is now?
Getting through the snow with AWD is not a " male " or " female " issue.
Old 08-07-06, 10:28 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's un- " male " about it the way it is now?
Getting through the snow with AWD is not a " male " or " female " issue.
Maybe he's talking about the rear design that seems to have a "feminine" look to it

I dunno about you guys but the front is similar to an ES.
Old 08-07-06, 12:04 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, I've got too many sources saying its coming, so its coming, just as many of us early said the IS 500 was coming.
GS based, RWD, AWD offered, sporty SUV, hybrid power as an option.

Basically the X5/FX/Cayenne etc fighter.

I have heard though possible 7 seats offered, not sure how what would be possible. Most point fingers at 5 seater.

Lexus is seeing the SUV market possibly really change as gas prices continue to rise all over the world and the X5/Cayenne has been a huge success as sporty SUVs for their car makers.

Can someone post pics of the HPX?

Oh and not sure of its name.
The HPX has been long ago renamed to LF-X ever since Lexus moved to the L-finesse design theme. If this new SUV indeed follows closely with the LF-X concept, it should have a 3rd-row seat as does the LF-X, though the LF-X is a 6, not 7-seater.

Old 08-07-06, 01:32 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Maybe he's talking about the rear design that seems to have a "feminine" look to it

I dunno about you guys but the front is similar to an ES.
bingo, i mean just the overal design it's not like how the Cayenne or the RRS is...really hard to put it into words. But like how Chrysler tends to overly masculinize their cars so that it would make them more attractive to prospective male buyers (Magnum is a good example). This HPX is just a tad to "soft" in appearance and may end up being a bigger replacement for the RX

Last edited by foofighter; 08-07-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 03:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by foofighter
bingo, i mean just the overal design it's not like how the Cayenne or the RRS is...really hard to put it into words. But like how Chrysler tends to overly masculinize their cars so that it would make them more attractive to prospective male buyers (Magnum is a good example). This HPX is just a tad to "soft" in appearance and may end up being a bigger replacement for the RX
I highly doubt it will look like that. That design is what 5+ years old now. As Xero stated, it would be L-finesse.

Old 08-07-06, 04:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

hmph, same sized as RX350? That doesnt make sense... How are you going to market it with RX350 and RX400h around? If it is going to be smaller than next-gen RX, then it can not be priced more.

If it is going to be bigger, then it can hardly be sporty, can it?

unless it is not going to be an real SUV like X5/RX, but rather an sporty AWD "estate".
Old 08-07-06, 04:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe this is the JX 460 or VX 460...I hope that LX stays LX, freeing up these designations...
Old 08-07-06, 07:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Lexus has been debating a small luxury SUV for a while. Now that the market has the X3 and the RDX and soon to be filled with the Q5, Lexus might have to join in soon.
Old 08-07-06, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I think Lexus has been debating a small luxury SUV for a while. Now that the market has the X3 and the RDX and soon to be filled with the Q5, Lexus might have to join in soon.
This is not a small SUV. It will be RX sized but much more sporty and its GS based. Lexus is not chasing sales by going downmarket.

Quick Reply: From my understanding, HPX is confirmed to come