Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 3 Series Interior is hideous!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 04:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The IS interior is best-in-class...sophisticated and elegant at the same time. I like how the vinyl fits like a glove, and the center stack is laden with technology, yet simple and intuitive. The instrument panel is also very sophisticated...

Overall, the IS interior is one of its strongest points--a sexy interior to match the sculpted sheet metal outside.

The 3-series is strong in other areas; it seems the exterior appearance, and interior design is not its better side.
Attached Thumbnails BMW 3 Series Interior is hideous!-is-380_lg.jpg  
Old 08-07-06, 05:10 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jriney8
I'm debating on an entry level sports luxury sedan, and have been checking out the 3 series lately. I must say that Lexus absolutely blows their interior away! That is the most bland interior I think I've ever seen on a sports sedan. It looks like something from an early 90's benz or something. Horrible.

The 3 series does seem to be a lot roomier though, and everyone touts it's handling and driving performance. It's too bad the inside is sickening.

Your impression on the 3 series' interior is unfortunately, deadly wrong. These European babies come with a la carte options for you to put together the interior. My instinct tells me that your eyes haven't laid on a 3 series with "brushed aluminum" pkg.
Old 08-07-06, 05:48 PM
Poison*Ivy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 325 ci coup. Comparing the two, 2IS interior is much more luxurious and modern. 2IS is also a more reliable driving machine.
Old 08-07-06, 07:55 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

Yes the e90 interior seems simple, but it isnt that bad. I do love the exterior of the e90 especially with clear european headlights as well as blackline taillights. I was wondering about the brushed aluminum combo--is it just textured or is it real aluminum-- I do not remember but I think I've read that it gets real hot when it's been out in the sun.
Old 08-07-06, 09:58 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, as an E90 owner, I guess I'm qualified to comment on my car's interior. I do not like it as much as the IS350's.. period! Having said that, now you know I did not buy the car for how the dash looks. I drove both the IS and E90 back to back and researched both to death. It basically came down to personal preference on how both cars drove. Not to mention, my family really liked the extra room in the E90's back seat.
As many people here have said, liking or disliking either car's dash layout is a matter of personal taste. Who knows, I might get the IS when it's revised in a few years.
Old 08-07-06, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i sat in the new 3 series, i really dont' like the interior. somehow it looks very small, and while "simple", it doesn't spell enough class and elegant to me. just weird i guess
Old 08-07-06, 10:56 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

obviously you are lexus guys and you value interiors and reliability, but most BMW owners will value sportiness and driving feel, plus the fact that the 3 has a roomier interior and a true manual... i personally like the 3 exterior better than the IS... i find the IS rather ugly personally. anyway, to each his own
Old 08-07-06, 11:09 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICSFSEDoD
Coming from an E39 M5 and an E46 328i, I HATE the new E60/E90 cars. I'll agree that the interior sucks. That's why I picked the IS over the BMW. Don't let BMW fool you, the maintenance and repairs are significant over time. The Lexus shouldn't come close to BMW in that department. The M5 had better handling and more power, but at the expense of higher maintenance costs as well. As never, ever forget ///M stands for Markup...
Coming from owning a E39 530i, E39 M5, E46 M3, and currently owns a E60 M5 and about to pickup a E90 335I through ED for the wife. I dispute all the claim above.

How much did all the car above costed me in maintainence and repair? A total of $0. Granted I never keep my car past 4 year period. If you have the ability to flip the car before the free maint. run out. BMW are cheaper to own and to insure as well (same market segment).

Show me any car in lexus lineup that can match any M in terms of handling and vehicle dynamics.

BTW, my two lexus that i had previously costed me to maintain than all my BMW did.

Lexus are generally more reliable that i will agree. But to say that BMW quality is poor is also ridiculous. All my BMW have been quiet solid. There are minor electronic issues here and there (i had more issue with less software E39 navi, then I do with I-drive).

Also, I actually like the I-drive and new BMW interior. It beats the old style navi with difficult to use rotating *****.

Also, who said BMW costs more to buy. Heck, my wife's fully loaded 335i through ED and my CCA rebate is only $45k out of door. Show me a fully loaded IS350 with all the fees included in CA that would cost $37k out of door.

Lexus has its merit. BMW also has it merit. The truth is always outhere. BMW are not more expansive to own and maintain than people at lexus forum made it out to be. BTW, my 530i insurance actually cost less than my IS300 and my wife's TL at that time.
Old 08-07-06, 11:13 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The interior of the E90 is quite conservative for their best-seller, especially when it's a wood dash rather than the metallic one.

If anything in the interior beats the IS, it's their sports seats. Those are nice!
As with any BMW, you can choose either aluminum trim or wood trim.

BMW's wood trim is actually better than lexus wood trim.

Personally i think BMW's wood trim is made of better material than their aluminum trim. Although I like the look of the aluminum trims over their wood trims.
Old 08-08-06, 07:18 PM
Oum'sIS
Rookie

I shopped the 3series pretty hard before I bought the IS, and I noticed the same difference with the interiors. I'm more of a Lexus/Benz person and could do without the sportiness of the Bimmer. Its a matter of personal taste. The BMW interior is more spartan and refined than that of the Lexus, but I liked the plushness and warmth of the Lexus.
Old 08-08-06, 07:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ICSFSEDoD
Coming from an E39 M5 and an E46 328i, I HATE the new E60/E90 cars. I'll agree that the interior sucks. That's why I picked the IS over the BMW. Don't let BMW fool you, the maintenance and repairs are significant over time. The Lexus shouldn't come close to BMW in that department. The M5 had better handling and more power, but at the expense of higher maintenance costs as well. As never, ever forget ///M stands for Markup...
I also disagree. I had a E39 540 and personally I like the E60 interior better - also your "over time" comment surely must mean after 4 years or 50,000 miles - cause up till then, you pay nada!

But I do agree, the IS interior is really really nice.
Old 08-18-06, 08:57 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
obviously you are lexus guys and you value interiors and reliability, but most BMW owners will value sportiness and driving feel, plus the fact that the 3 has a roomier interior and a true manual... i personally like the 3 exterior better than the IS... i find the IS rather ugly personally. anyway, to each his own
What he said!
Old 08-18-06, 10:16 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
I also disagree. I had a E39 540 and personally I like the E60 interior better - also your "over time" comment surely must mean after 4 years or 50,000 miles - cause up till then, you pay nada!

But I do agree, the IS interior is really really nice.
You and chiawei DO do mid-service, 6500 mile oil changes, right? That costs something...
Old 08-19-06, 07:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
thats fine and all but the problem with BMW is since the 3 came out what else does the 3 offer above the IS besides handling etc. Because one can think of many things that the IS is better than the 3 in. Now if handling is that important over those thats the buyers decision. But thats too much of a trade off for me when I can purchase aftermarket suspensions to level the playing field. You cant really do that with a BMW to level it with the IS advantages. The 3 series to me is a one trick pony, its trick being handling, but it doesnt showcase anything else
Old 08-19-06, 08:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think all of BMW interiors are ugly

Quick Reply: BMW 3 Series Interior is hideous!