Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

excessive tint ticket when driving someone elses car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 02:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default excessive tint ticket when driving someone elses car?

What if you get a ticket for excessive tint when driving a car that belongs to someone else? Is it beatable?
Old 08-07-06, 03:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately. If it's not your car, and it's a fix-it ticket, the responsibility goes to the owner, not the driver.
Old 08-07-06, 06:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, my wife was driving my car and got tickets for tint, but the ticket states her name and her license number. She is not on the registration of the car, but she is on the insurance. To make matters worse she forgot about the tickets, which had to be answered within 15 days, and its been almost 40 days now. Her license is probably suspended, and if you are late they find you guilty by default, plus she will probably pay extra fines and license reactivation fees. But I'm just wondering, if she pleaded not guilty on time, would she get away?
Old 08-08-06, 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About my previous answer, I was thinking like a single person. Sorry, but your situation is different.

Since you have a wife, you and your wife "share common goods" according to the law. Since it was under your name but you are married to her, she is responsible and liable for your car.

If she pleaded not guilty on time, I doubt that she wouldn't be able to get out of it.

Pay that ticket before it gets worse.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-06, 09:32 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is the driver's decision to get behind the wheel and drive. This makes the driver responsible for the vehicle's condiction and legality while operated on public roadways..

The same applies when renting an automobile.
Old 08-08-06, 10:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tint tickets shouldnt have any effect on insurance since its not a moving violation, unless youre retarded like cali is and made it a moving violation (i heard this somewhere)
Old 08-08-06, 10:21 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
It is the driver's decision to get behind the wheel and drive. This makes the driver responsible for the vehicle's condiction and legality while operated on public roadways..

The same applies when renting an automobile.

Ditto.... its the driver's own risk....... but its new york legal tint nowadayz is 75% anything under is illegal
Old 08-08-06, 10:28 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tammy has it correct, especially in NY, you get in a car with no front windshield and still decide to drive, its your choice as the driver and you get the ticket (moving violation). Only parking tickets go back to the car, anytime you show your license, it's your ticket.

If you're giving a parking ticket while in the car, the meter maid will ask you for your license and supposedly you have the option to refuse to show ID (there's a box on the ticket marked for that), although I'm sure after 9/11 something 'else' is likely to happen.
Old 08-08-06, 11:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
Ditto.... its the driver's own risk....... but its new york legal tint nowadayz is 75% anything under is illegal
Its a scumbag law. The legal tint used to be 35%, which is what I have (although the meter read 30 and 31). They recently changed the law, but how are drivers suposed to know of the change? It's just unreal that somewhere there's a scumbag that's getting salary from taxpayers money to come up with such retarded laws.
Old 08-08-06, 11:17 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Just leave it on, go back to the tint shop where you had it done and tell them to give a receipt for 'tint removal' and show it to the judge, it should get dismissed.
Old 08-08-06, 11:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Just leave it on, go back to the tint shop where you had it done and tell them to give a receipt for 'tint removal' and show it to the judge, it should get dismissed.
Well, its too late now, she had to make a plea within 15 days, but ill see if it flies for the future. I also received tickets for 20% tint on my old car, but I actually removed the tint myself and went to a police station and had a pig write me a correction letter. I pleaded not guilty, and have a court date in december, trying to see if they will dismiss it.
Old 08-08-06, 11:46 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Well, its too late now, she had to make a plea within 15 days, but ill see if it flies for the future. I also received tickets for 20% tint on my old car, but I actually removed the tint myself and went to a police station and had a pig write me a correction letter. I pleaded not guilty, and have a court date in december, trying to see if they will dismiss it.
IMHO, I would always plead not guilty within that 15 day period, you have nothing to lose, if anything it gives you more time to come up with the money if needed, plus you never know what could happen. If you wanted to change your mind before the court date and plead guilty you always have that option.