Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2007 Toyota Tundra rumors (410hp, 11,000lb. towing) Update - More Rumors pg. 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 06:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What exactly defines a truck? Are we talking pickups, commercial trucks, or SUVs?

Toyota can and will make a dually/HD Tundra, just need to have patience.

American pickups are popular only in, get this, America. Practically everywhere else around the world, Japanese pickups rule, in particular, Toyota pickups. Toyota does sell diesel pickups in varying models, just not in the US ... well not yet anyways.

And if you want to talk commerical trucks, again America is not the best, not even close. The world's best commercial trucks are closely contested by European and Japanese makers.

And if you want to talk SUVs, GM makes some pretty good SUVs, but worldwide, again, American SUVs are rarely used. Rather, SUVs like Toyota's legendary Land Cruiser are used worldwide, because of their incredible reliability and durability.
indeed... it is really hard to see american SUV or Pickup around the world. Japanese rule that field, especially Toyota.

And those trucks are used in much tougher conditions than US roads.
Old 09-09-06, 08:37 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
I wouldn't say so, considering there are a ton of those little late 60's - 1990's Toyota Trucks running around with 500,000 miles in them. They're all everywhere, worldwide.

I have been to Thailand and have seen little Toyota Trucks used as Taxi's, hauling about 50 or so people at a time around town.

Those little trucks are tough.

In the US, I think domestic trucks will always be King. But worldwide, No. Besides, I think even with a lot of trucks used for heavy duty, most of them are still Home Depot haulers sitting on 20+ rims.
I see plenty of 50's-90's American trucks running around here all the time and they run like a top with over 600k miles on them sometimes 700k, in contrast I almost never see a Toyota truck earlier than the 90's (at least running) around here. Although my friend did own an 80's toyota pickup for about a month before the engine died on him. America still has the Japanese beat when it comes to the number of older trucks still trucking and doing what trucks are meant to do, tow and haul things.
Old 09-09-06, 08:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
I see plenty of 50's-90's American trucks running around here all the time and they run like a top with over 600k miles on them sometimes 700k, in contrast I almost never see a Toyota truck earlier than the 90's (at least running) around here. Although my friend did own an 80's toyota pickup for about a month before the engine died on him. America still has the Japanese beat when it comes to the number of older trucks still trucking and doing what trucks are meant to do, tow and haul things.
First off, that's only true for North America, and not worldwide. Secondly, American trucks *in America* should obviously out-number Japanese trucks, since the Japanese have never tried really hard with trucks here, and since American automakers have established big brand loyalty among American buyers by focusing on pickup trucks for a long time.
Old 09-09-06, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Wow, the 5.7 has 400hp. And we know Lexus has trademarked the 570 names......

Old 09-09-06, 10:22 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mavericck
You're not looking hard enough then. These old Toyorta Trucks with 500k miles are running around in California a lot. I have 2 family members who have a 1981 and 1986 truck apiece, both are running 400k miles, no problems. My father has a 1991 with 295k miles, no problem. And no, the '91 truck doesn't leave a mess of oil on the driveway like their american counterparts, who don't have 1/3 the mileage and are almost a decade the younger.

And I use to be a Ford customer turned sour. Easily the worst cars I've ever had. Took care of them, maintainence, drove them under 10k miles a year and it was all good until the manufacture warrantee expired. The problems came in by the loads. Would never buy american again, especially cars.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What exactly defines a truck? Are we talking pickups, commercial trucks, or SUVs?

Toyota can and will make a dually/HD Tundra, just need to have patience.

American pickups are popular only in, get this, America. Practically everywhere else around the world, Japanese pickups rule, in particular, Toyota pickups. Toyota does sell diesel pickups in varying models, just not in the US ... well not yet anyways.

And if you want to talk commerical trucks, again America is not the best, not even close. The world's best commercial trucks are closely contested by European and Japanese makers.

And if you want to talk SUVs, GM makes some pretty good SUVs, but worldwide, again, American SUVs are rarely used. Rather, SUVs like Toyota's legendary Land Cruiser are used worldwide, because of their incredible reliability and durability.
couldn't have said it better myself. You don't find many full size American trucks outside of the Americas.

I went to a local Dodge dealership and they had trucks lined up for as far as the eye can see. Seriously, with no exaggeration. A salesman told me I could get a new Dodge Ram quad cab with 20's, stereo, etc (50 to choose from) with a 5.7 HEMI for $18,000! Heck of a deal if you really needed a hauler, but I still wouldn't touch it because it's a Dodge.

Didn't know you could get a Dodge Ram Quad Cab HEMI for less than a Honda Civic...