Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lincoln Flagship: 2008 MKS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 05:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs down

Lincoln is going NOWHERE.............Its one of the worst run companies. Any company that releases a NEW model as a Zephyr and then changes its name to MKZ for 2nd model year with no updates, has no idea about marketing or a plan for the brand.

I saw the MKS in person at NY auto show and it looks like CRAP.

They should take some lessons from Cadillac.
Old 08-09-06, 05:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
The Lincoln brand has sooooooo much potential. The Navigator is a good looking SUV and the Towncar is still the VIP chauffer car of choice.
If they just designed something that looked
cool people would probably buy from this company. I don't there there are any really "bad"
things people associate with Lincoln.
I disagree.

Navigator cant compete with the Escalade anymore based on performance/styling/luxury/sales. The Town Car is being discontinued for no reason, and its Lincoln's best selling car. Like i said, Lincoln is going nowhere fast. They discontinued their best car, the LS, and replaced it with a dressed up Fusion(Zephyr).
Old 08-09-06, 08:17 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I disagree.

Navigator cant compete with the Escalade anymore based on performance/styling/luxury/sales. The Town Car is being discontinued for no reason, and its Lincoln's best selling car. Like i said, Lincoln is going nowhere fast. They discontinued their best car, the LS, and replaced it with a dressed up Fusion(Zephyr).
They didn't drop the Town Car "for no reason" - Ford's completely pulling the plug on the Panther platform (TC, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic) by 2009.

I agree with your statement about the LS except that it's been a reliability/service/warranty nightmare for Lincoln/Ford.

M.
Old 08-09-06, 08:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
The Navigator is a good looking SUV

You like the way it looks??

BIG IMO.

I did like the previous generation Navi over the previous generation Escalade. But now the 'Lade looks so much better. The discontinued Lincoln Blackwood sales numbers will probably look better than the new Navigators.
Old 08-22-06, 11:44 PM
LexFather

Lincoln V-8 axed
Ford halts engine plan for flagship MKS

Amy Wilson

Automotive News / August 21, 2006 - 6:00 am

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. has killed plans to put a V-8 engine in its future Lincoln flagship sedan.

The 4.4-liter V-8, a version of a Yamaha engine used in the Volvo XC90 crossover, was slated to power the Lincoln MKS beginning in 2008. Ford planned to produce the V-8 at its Lima, Ohio, plant. But in recent days, the company has canceled the program, supplier and industry sources say.

The V-8 appears to be a victim of new cost-cutting efforts by Ford, which says it needs to accelerate its Way Forward restructuring plan for North America.

"Lower-volume engine production is always higher cost," said Eric Fedewa, a powertrain analyst with CSM Worldwide in Northville, Mich.

Ford had planned to use the V-8 in other future products, including crossovers for the Ford and Lincoln brands. Annual engine volume was expected to approach 100,000.

Ford now will rely solely on its new 3.5-liter V-6 engine family to power the MKS, sources said. Ford's other V-8s are too large. The decision could prove to be a competitive challenge in a segment where most rivals offer a V-8.

The 3.5-liter V-6 is being added to the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans, which share a platform with the MKS. Lincoln's smaller MKZ sedan also is using the 3.5-liter V-6 beginning this fall.

To set the bigger sedan apart, Ford will boost the output of the base V-6 for the MKS, sources said.

Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio said: "We have taken the step to differentiate the powertrain in the Lincoln MKZ, and we hope to do that for Lincolns moving forward."

Old 08-24-06, 06:12 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lincoln V-8 axed
Ford halts engine plan for flagship MKS

Amy Wilson

Automotive News / August 21, 2006 - 6:00 am

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. has killed plans to put a V-8 engine in its future Lincoln flagship sedan.

The 4.4-liter V-8, a version of a Yamaha engine used in the Volvo XC90 crossover, was slated to power the Lincoln MKS beginning in 2008. Ford planned to produce the V-8 at its Lima, Ohio, plant. But in recent days, the company has canceled the program, supplier and industry sources say.

The V-8 appears to be a victim of new cost-cutting efforts by Ford, which says it needs to accelerate its Way Forward restructuring plan for North America.

"Lower-volume engine production is always higher cost," said Eric Fedewa, a powertrain analyst with CSM Worldwide in Northville, Mich.

Ford had planned to use the V-8 in other future products, including crossovers for the Ford and Lincoln brands. Annual engine volume was expected to approach 100,000.

Ford now will rely solely on its new 3.5-liter V-6 engine family to power the MKS, sources said. Ford's other V-8s are too large. The decision could prove to be a competitive challenge in a segment where most rivals offer a V-8.

The 3.5-liter V-6 is being added to the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans, which share a platform with the MKS. Lincoln's smaller MKZ sedan also is using the 3.5-liter V-6 beginning this fall.

To set the bigger sedan apart, Ford will boost the output of the base V-6 for the MKS, sources said.

Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio said: "We have taken the step to differentiate the powertrain in the Lincoln MKZ, and we hope to do that for Lincolns moving forward."
No V-8 in your "premium" car now thats moving Way Forward. Who wants torque in a premium luxury car? Please tell me that its front wheel drive and then I'll really know that Ford is moving in the right direction.
Old 08-24-06, 06:18 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks pretty good