Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to use Capless Fuel Filler on entire model line

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 11:02 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

^^Exactly... The fact that they are wasting time revolutionizing the gas cap industry when they have soooooooo many manufacturing and reliability concerns is truly a joke. A big one.

Javier
Old 08-11-06, 03:52 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This change has little to nothing to do with customer convenience.
It has everything to do with cost reduction. Every penny count in this industry and removing a cap and tether are going to save $.xx per vehicle. Add that up over the entire lineup and you have significant savings. ( I would bet that the entire "system" has been modified to reduce the number of parts).
I'm sure there is a flapper in the opening that will close to eliminate fumes escaping.
Old 08-13-06, 05:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Somehow I think if Lexus did this you guys would be saying how it comes out of their racing experience, how Lexus has something MB and BMW don't, etc.

I'm hoping Lexus would use this idea also. Ya know..Lexus is a luxury company. What's the luxury in having to put your fingers on a dirty gas cap right?

But seriously..I dont know why some of you are looking down at this idea as if Ford wanted to put hubcaps on the Ford GT. I dont see any negative about it, only positives. Perhaps if Lexus is the one to start this trend, this whole forum would have different opinions. I can definitely see this as one of the future things that will become standard on most, if not all cars.

Sure you may save maybe 5 seconds with this capless system, but why complain about saving time at all? It's a good thing.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-13-06, 05:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
( I would bet that the entire "system" has been modified to reduce the number of parts).
I'm sure there is a flapper in the opening that will close to eliminate fumes escaping.
If anything, this capless system should have more parts than the traditional cap system. If you look at both systems, they're very similar. The Cap system has a cap (obviously), and that's just one removeable part. The Capless system will need at least 2 parts to work, so essentially, the capless system isn't really saving in number of parts.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 08-13-06, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
But seriously..I dont know why some of you are looking down at this idea as if Ford wanted to put hubcaps on the Ford GT. I dont see any negative about it, only positives. Perhaps if Lexus is the one to start this trend, this whole forum would have different opinions. I can definitely see this as one of the future things that will become standard on most, if not all cars.

Sure you may save maybe 5 seconds with this capless system, but why complain about saving time at all? It's a good thing.
thanks.
Old 08-13-06, 07:56 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
If anything, this capless system should have more parts than the traditional cap system. If you look at both systems, they're very similar. The Cap system has a cap (obviously), and that's just one removeable part. The Capless system will need at least 2 parts to work, so essentially, the capless system isn't really saving in number of parts.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

A typical system has a door, cap, tether, welded piece in the door to hang the cap, metal flap inside the filler neck, Plastic shroud around the neck to direct spillage, evap hoses and evap canister.
When making the gas door there is at least one extra step to add either a cap holder or a tether holder. Typically it's a stamped and bent piece of metal that is tack welded to the door. This also will cause additional dwell time in the painting process as the painting arm will have to make an extra turn (at least one).

Now look at the system above. Obviously they have eliminated the cap, tether, plastic flap, additional metal piece inside the door to hold the cap, etc... Look how clean the door is now. It's a simple one piece design. Imagine the rest of the lineup. They can now just stamp a simple flapper. I bet most of the new ones aren't a racing style flapper, just a one piece stamped and painted piece of metal.
Odds are there is a simple flap inside the filler neck that has enough pressure to direct overflow to the evap canister.

Trust me on this. No matter how neato or green it looks, it's not made for the customer. This wasn't dreamed up to save some namby pamby person 2 seconds removing the cap, or keeping their hands off a dirty gas cap. (it's not like it's deisel fuel!) It's made to reduce costs and if it makes a customer happy, thats only a bonus.

I've been selling direct tierI and tier II for 10+ years now and the only thing that makes an auto manufacturer change direction is $$.

Costs are taken out of the strangest things. Take Nissan. They saved a significant amount of money by not painting the B pillars of their cars. They now use a black decal. It allowed them to reduce passes in the painting stage which reduced paint emissions which in turn saved them significant coin. There is no other benefit to using a decal beyond $$.
Old 08-13-06, 09:29 PM
LexFather

A typical system has a door, cap, tether, welded piece in the door to hang the cap, metal flap inside the filler neck, Plastic shroud around the neck to direct spillage, evap hoses and evap canister.
When making the gas door there is at least one extra step to add either a cap holder or a tether holder. Typically it's a stamped and bent piece of metal that is tack welded to the door. This also will cause additional dwell time in the painting process as the painting arm will have to make an extra turn (at least one).

Now look at the system above. Obviously they have eliminated the cap, tether, plastic flap, additional metal piece inside the door to hold the cap, etc... Look how clean the door is now. It's a simple one piece design. Imagine the rest of the lineup. They can now just stamp a simple flapper. I bet most of the new ones aren't a racing style flapper, just a one piece stamped and painted piece of metal.
Odds are there is a simple flap inside the filler neck that has enough pressure to direct overflow to the evap canister.

Trust me on this. No matter how neato or green it looks, it's not made for the customer. This wasn't dreamed up to save some namby pamby person 2 seconds removing the cap, or keeping their hands off a dirty gas cap. (it's not like it's deisel fuel!) It's made to reduce costs and if it makes a customer happy, thats only a bonus.

I've been selling direct tierI and tier II for 10+ years now and the only thing that makes an auto manufacturer change direction is $$.

Costs are taken out of the strangest things. Take Nissan. They saved a significant amount of money by not painting the B pillars of their cars. They now use a black decal. It allowed them to reduce passes in the painting stage which reduced paint emissions which in turn saved them significant coin. There is no other benefit to using a decal beyond $$.
Nissan puts stickers on their b pillars? Wow, didn't know that.

Old 08-13-06, 11:05 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll pass.. i'd rather have a locking gas cap. like stated before, people can now put sugar in your gas tank with ease!
Old 08-14-06, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

... I've been selling direct tierI and tier II for 10+ years now and the only thing that makes an auto manufacturer change direction is $$.
OK, good points and post. I still like this better than a traditional cap so it's nice to me when costs savings also result in benefits to the customer.

Trust me on this.
And with a username like "cheap skate" why wouldn't I?
Old 08-14-06, 05:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

useless gimmick to the morons that dont put on their gas cap after a fill up