Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Generations: Acura Legend & RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 07:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Talking about name dropping... they shouldn't rename the Integra to RSX as well.
the naming of their entire lineup has to be consistant thats why it was dropped even though it stayed integra in japan, it would be strange to have TL RL MDX NSX and boom Integra, bad from a marketing standpoint, it doesnt fit in
Old 08-11-06, 08:03 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Kid 300
I don't see whats so special about the legend...
The quality and the options were way ahead of its time. The suction doors on the coupe.
-hass
Old 08-11-06, 08:37 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the naming of their entire lineup has to be consistant thats why it was dropped even though it stayed integra in japan, it would be strange to have TL RL MDX NSX and boom Integra, bad from a marketing standpoint, it doesnt fit in
Talking about marketing standpoint... they sure make a bad decision. Many people know what a Legend or Integra is and praise it, not many people have heard or remember the name RL, and I guess the name RSX is known by the people under 30s only.
Old 08-11-06, 08:39 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Before we have Lexus and Infiniti, it's the Legend that opened the Americans' eyes and showed that Japan can build a reliable car with luxuries and good handling.
Old 08-11-06, 08:55 AM
Gotham
Rookie

I really hope on the next gen car that the Legend name returns. Roll out with a "Legend Reborn" ad campaign and I'm sure Acrua would see some decent sales numbers.
Old 08-11-06, 09:05 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

first car was a 90 legend L coupe, then i sold it months later and got a 94 legend coupe. i miss it. i wish i could find a 6 speed as a beater
Old 08-11-06, 09:15 AM
Rdubz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a good read. I had always wanted a Legend as I was getting into cars, but couldn't afford one at the time. Now I'm looking into buying a second gen. for winter and some daily driving use.
Old 08-11-06, 09:35 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legend was nice car but the Lexus LS400 was so much nicer and so much more impressive thats another reason why Lexus took off and acura failed. Also the legend did show people that japanese luxury car was not an oxymoron but it wasnt a threat to the germans as the LS400 was also most people think of acura's including the the legend as a glorified honda.
Old 08-11-06, 11:36 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Oh boy if there is a Legend thread, I have to jump in with my 2cents.

My bro-in-law bought a 87 Legend L in 1998. The car was immaculate. He kept it good and sold it to me when he bought his 5. I instantly fell in love with the car. I still remember that on 4th of july, 2000 after watching the Macy's Fireworks with my (now) Wife (1st date ) a NYC cab hit the car on the driver side. The car NEVER drove right after that incident. I sold it and bought a 1991 Coupe with 80K for $6K. What an amazing car!! It was a head turner. I got more compliments on that car for its interior/exterior design more than my GS's.

While driving back to NJ from Long Island, the car blew a head gasket (my stupidity, No coolant in car and i was driving 80-90 mph for about 100 miles ) Every month after that i was spending about $300-$400/mo to have the car running. Well as much as i loved the car it was costing me WAY more than what I bargained for. I ditched it for $1K and bought myself a 99GS300

I still miss my Legend.
Old 08-11-06, 01:29 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those fortunate enough to own one know all about how good the Legend was. I've owned a Legend Coupe and an SC400. Guess which one I miss more? Guess which one I think is a better car:? You don't have to agree, but after owning both I personally can form an opinion and say the Legend was one of the best cars made during the 86-95 years.
Old 08-13-06, 05:03 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Those fortunate enough to own one know all about how good the Legend was. I've owned a Legend Coupe and an SC400. Guess which one I miss more? Guess which one I think is a better car:? You don't have to agree, but after owning both I personally can form an opinion and say the Legend was one of the best cars made during the 86-95 years.
I have to agree with you, i have a legend and sc300. I get more looks and conpliments from true enthusiasts in my legend. Since the Sc i haven't treated my legend good as i used to. I love the legend more but than it's always different for each person.
-hass
Old 08-13-06, 05:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another Legend fanatic here - always loved the Type II coupe. Owned 5 Legends in my time. Was looking for one for my DD but found my SC300 instead. I still have to look when I see a Gen II Legend drive-by - timeless machine

Jonny
Old 08-13-06, 05:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm one of those who's fortunately to have owned one. I miss it terribly and would sell my GS to get one in a heart beat, but I haven't found the one I'm looking for

I could never get tired of driving it. Roll down the windows and open up the sunroof at night (max exposure )..cruise down a busy boulevard and you'll feel relaxed. The car inspired driving. Though not a race car, it's a cruiser and it does what it does well. I would always make excuses to drive the car. If there was a longer reasonable route to get to my destination, I would drive that route just because.

One thing I miss a lot about it is the WOT sound. It growled at you and it did it with a passion.

I'll find one some day

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-13-06, 05:31 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
it's a cruiser . If there was a longer reasonable route to get to my destination, I would drive that route just because.
Cruiser indeed, it's roomy and comfortable
-hass
Old 08-14-06, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

great point chris. i actually have never owned a legend myself, but my cousin did and i have been in that car. of course comparing to luxury cars nowadays it's not even close, but considering the time the car came out? the quality, the technology, and luxury level, etc... were very ahead of its time imho