Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota making sure '07 Tundra is released without a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 01:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota making sure '07 Tundra is released without a problem

Toyota pores over Tundra 2.0
Extraordinary steps taken to make sure the new truck is up to snuff.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

TRAVERSE CITY -- Toyota Motor Corp. has already started building the second-generation Tundra at its new factory in San Antonio, but these pickups will never leave the factory.

Instead, manufacturing experts are tearing them down to make sure the workers-in-training are doing their jobs right.

It is an example of the exhaustive steps the Japanese automaker is taking to ensure the launch of the new Tundra, due on the market early next year, goes off without a hitch.

Toyota has always been known for its patient and methodical approach to manufacturing, but Gary Convis -- chairman of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky and one of the automaker's highest-ranking U.S. executives -- told The Detroit News that the ramp-up to Tundra production in Texas is taking that to a new level.

"We're not going to rush this thing," Convis said in an interview at the auto industry's annual Management Briefing Seminars. "It's going to be done right."

Industry analysts say it has to be done right. The new Tundra represents the first serious challenge to the dominance of Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp. in the full-size pickup market -- the last bastion of the American automobile industry. And it comes at a time when that segment appears to have reached its peak.

It also comes at a time when Toyota -- long regarded as the industry's quality leader -- is reeling from an embarrassing series of recalls.

"With the recalls, they're going to be as careful as they've ever been," said Ron Harbour, president of Harbour Consulting Inc., a Farmington Hills manufacturing consulting firm. With a new model under construction at a new factory, staffed by new workers, "they take their time," Harbour said. "It'll be months before they have production at two shifts is my guess."

Full-size pickups account for about 13 percent of the U.S. auto market and are among the most profitable for automakers.

"We feel it's the most important launch in Toyota's history in North America," said Norman Bafunno, general manager for production at Toyota's Princeton, Ind., truck plant, the "mother plant" for San Antonio.

"They don't want anything to tarnish this product," said Catherine Madden, an analyst with Waltham, Mass.-based Global Insight Inc. "It's going to be going into a very tough segment."

The rivals Toyota is taking on with the Tundra agree.

"During the second quarter, pickups were 12.7 percent of the industry, compared with 14.5 percent for all of last year," said Mark Fields, president of Ford's Americas group, in a speech Wednesday in Traverse City.

"That nearly 2-point decline coincides with the surge in gas prices, beginning in April. On an annual basis, it equates to roughly 300,000 fewer industry-wide truck sales."

Fields said this "tectonic shift" in the marketplace cost the industry roughly $8 billion in lost revenue.

Convis said that puts even more pressure on Toyota to make the Tundra launch an unqualified success. The biggest challenge, he said, is training the workforce at an all-new plant to build this all-new truck.

Toyota is sending trainers-in-training from Texas to its Indiana plant, which produces the current version of the Tundra.

"They've been working on the line, building Tundras," Convis said. "They're gaining hands-on skills."

The new workers start by memorizing the steps of the process they are responsible for and learning how their particular component functions in the finished product.

Next, they are paired with a veteran line worker who has the same job so they can watch how they do it. Then they start helping that worker perform the operations until they have enough confidence to do it themselves. At that point, the new worker takes over while the veteran worker looks on and helps fine-tune their techniques.

Once these new employees have mastered their part of the assembly process, they return to San Antonio to teach other workers using the same system.

The Texas plant is scheduled to begin production of actual retail models in November.

"We're not going to race off to volume," Convis said. "We're going to focus on getting it right."

Toyota will have to if it wants to maintain its reputation for quality. Convis promised it will be worth the wait.

"We think this truck is extraordinary," he said. "We're going to be extremely competitive."
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...608110339/1148
Old 08-13-06, 03:41 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good news
Old 08-13-06, 09:03 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Great news. It will be worth the wait. I look very much forward to the next generation Tundra...
Old 08-14-06, 04:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

yeah, its very good that they are taking it slowly, and not doing mistakes that Nissan did in their new factory in the US.
Old 08-14-06, 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

This is very important for Toyota. Ford and GM (and Chrysler [Dodge] ) have spent billions advertising truck "toughness" so the last thing Toyota will need is a recall even though the other 3 of course have had them, but perceptions last a long time with trucks.

The other thing about trucks is while people with cars often rely on them to get to and from work and some people use them for business like in sales, with trucks many people use them FOR the job. So if it fails, they don't work. That makes it very important.
Old 08-14-06, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
This is very important for Toyota. Ford and GM (and Chrysler [Dodge] ) have spent billions advertising truck "toughness" so the last thing Toyota will need is a recall even though the other 3 of course have had them, but perceptions last a long time with trucks.

The other thing about trucks is while people with cars often rely on them to get to and from work and some people use them for business like in sales, with trucks many people use them FOR the job. So if it fails, they don't work. That makes it very important.
that is true, but lets not confuse recalls with failiures... for instance, that Tundra recall about airbags was pretty much bull (where T had to turn off airbag switch). It is something that quality factory would not prevent.

With new factories and new workers, you mostly work on build quality, so things dont fall apart once person starts driving the vehicle :-).

Even with this factory, Toyota wont have close to the half of capacity of F150...
Old 08-14-06, 03:54 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the reason the Dodge Mega cab will crap in it's pants:

It's supposed to be 24 feet long,yikes!!! I would hate to have to park that at Costco
Old 08-14-06, 04:00 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

from scionlife:

A Toyota insider claims that the four-door version of the new Tundra is to be very large. In his words...

"The cab of the new four door is about eighteen inches shorter than the length of the current Sequoia"

Well, I know how rumor goes, but if it WERE true I wanted to be the first to put it out there. The Sequoia is a hair under seventeen feet long, so it would have to be one friggen HUGE cab.

The same source also indicated that Toyota was looking into a bed longer than eight feet. The Dodge is currently available with a 6.25' and 8', Ford with a 6.75' and 8' and I dunno GM cause they only put "long box" and "standard box" on their website. Even if Toyota were to bring out an 8.25' then it would one-up the competition.

Take it all with a grain of salt, it ain't over til the fat lady sings and I don't know if this source is accurate yet.
Old 08-14-06, 04:05 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

a little more info on the engine:
3UR-FE
Current event marker This article contains information about a scheduled or expected future product.
It may contain unverified or unreliable information, and may not reflect the final version of the product.

There has been talk for some time of a new 5.7 L V8 (sometimes referred to as the i-Force V8) from Toyota for the new Toyota Tundra (U.S. market ute/truck). To attain a capacity of 5.7 L, Toyota could bore or stroke the 5.0 L 2UR, or bore and stroke it. If the bore of the 2UR were used (94 mm), and a greater stroke of 102.6 mm were introduced, the engine's capacity would be 5696 cc. If the stroke of the 2UR were retained (90 mm) and an increased bore of 100.4 mm used, the engine's capcity would be 5700 cc. Personally I think that the 100.4 mm bore option is more likely as a stroke of 102.6 mm is exceedingly large. However a longer stroke would most likely provide excellent torque. This vehicle is meant to have a towing capacity of 10,000 tonnes, so one would assume that it will have a fairly large capacity engine, with fairly big power and definitely heaps of torque.

Rumours of this new 5.7L V8 have stated figures of around 400 hp (300 kW) and 400 lbf·ft (540 N·m). As the 5.7 L V8 will be used in a non-performance orientated vehicle, and one that will be sold at less of a premium, I predict that GDI will NOT be used (hence the loss of the S from the engine designation). This will mean less power and torque per litre. To predict the power figures for this engine I am basing my power and torque per litre on the 1GR-FE 4.0 L V6 as used in the Toyota Hilux (or Tacoma for the U.S. market). This version of the 1GR-FE has 236 hp (175 kW) and 266 lbf·ft (382 N·m). Therefore a 5.7 L V8 with the same power and torque per litre would have 338 hp (252 kW) and 407 lbf·ft (550 N·m). Whilst the torque figure seems accurate, the power figure seems somewhat low, however it would not be at all difficult for Toyota to get the power up to around 400 hp while maintaining (or improving) the torque to well over 400 lbf·ft. Remember that if this 5.7 L V8 had the same power and torque per litre as the 2GR-FSE it would have 513 hp (382 kW) and 455 lbf·ft (615 N·m)!

Toyota has confirmed the use of dual VVT-i and a high compression ratio in relation to other truck engines. As Jim Press states in his speech to the Chicago Auto Show press attendants:

"...But being big doesn't mean it can't be smart. We're using advanced engine technology rarely found on trucks, like a higher compression ratio, independently controlled intake and exhaust variable valve timing, and a low friction cam assembly among other things."

The complete speech can be found here: Chicago Auto Show Speech from Toyota

It will most likely also feature molybdenum coated pistons as featured in most modern Toyota engines, such as all GR series engines, forged connecting rods, and a forged steel crankshaft.

Applications:

* 2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-14-06, 05:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robloc93
... This vehicle is meant to have a towing capacity of 10,000 tonnes...
I stopped reading after that.
Old 08-14-06, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
that is true, but lets not confuse recalls with failiures...
I wasn't - just saying that 'issues' of any kind matter from a perception standpoint and as far as customers willing to take a gamble with a new truck that is trying to attack Ford, GM, and Dodge where it really hurts.

Personally I'd buy a new Tundra in a heartbeat if I was in the market and the price is right. Seems like it's going to be awesome.

My wife drives a 2004 F-150 we bought new and it's been excellent, I have to say. That truck is REALLY put together tight.
Old 08-15-06, 02:04 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Here's the reason the Dodge Mega cab will crap in it's pants:

It's supposed to be 24 feet long,yikes!!! I would hate to have to park that at Costco
I really hope thats not stock ride hight, looks like its been dropped!!
Old 08-15-06, 08:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I really hope thats not stock ride hight, looks like its been dropped!!
Hehe - well even a tractor-trailer looks dropped cuz it's so long.
Old 08-15-06, 08:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I wasn't - just saying that 'issues' of any kind matter from a perception standpoint and as far as customers willing to take a gamble with a new truck that is trying to attack Ford, GM, and Dodge where it really hurts.

Personally I'd buy a new Tundra in a heartbeat if I was in the market and the price is right. Seems like it's going to be awesome.

My wife drives a 2004 F-150 we bought new and it's been excellent, I have to say. That truck is REALLY put together tight.
yeah, but of course Ford just recalled 1.2M F150's :-).
Old 08-15-06, 09:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

It's supposed to be 24 feet long,yikes!!!
24' long? I have a really hard time believing that, given that the typical mega-cab competitors are around 20' in length with an 8' bed. You're talking about another 4' on top of that.

Quick Reply: Toyota making sure '07 Tundra is released without a problem