Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So BMW owners think Lexus = BMW-Copy. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol imho, if lexus is trying to copy bmw, they are reelly doing a **** poor job.... i mean (not being sacarstic), not even close on handling, cabin being a lot quieter, no road feel, not as stiff chassis, no idrive, different seat style/design/setup, different dash setup.... they can't even close....

if anything, i have lexus has been trying to learn from mb more and copy over stuff and improve them. i think lexus is more about following the mb path. but that's for early 90s to around 2000 imho. now i think lexus is more about on their own doing their own things.
Old 08-14-06, 04:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol imho, if lexus is trying to copy bmw, they are reelly doing a **** poor job.... i mean (not being sacarstic), not even close on handling, cabin being a lot quieter, no road feel, not as stiff chassis, no idrive, different seat style/design/setup, different dash setup.... they can't even close....

if anything, i have lexus has been trying to learn from mb more and copy over stuff and improve them. i think lexus is more about following the mb path. but that's for early 90s to around 2000 imho. now i think lexus is more about on their own doing their own things.
yep, agreed... and in 2000's, it is MB copying Lexus (and BMW when it comes to interior).

As to the BMW copying, design wise, they dont even come close. How in the world can you compare Lexus and BMW designs? They are completly opposite - BMW's sharp cuts vs Lexus smooth lines.

I dont see any connection anywhere else - interiors are completly opposite, engines are completly different, chasis tuning is completly different. Shark fin? So? I mean, didnt Japanese companies first have led brake lights for example? So what, now everyone that has led lights is copying Toyota? Thats kind of funny.
Old 08-14-06, 07:40 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Well I personally think that Lexus would love to have the driving dynamics of BMW.

That said, in no way does Lexus "copy" BMW. They do their own thing and they do it in their own way. Their cars do not look (or drive) like BMWs and I believe thiat most Lexus buyers prefer it this way.
I don't agree with the first part, but agree to the second. I think if Lexus truely wanted to "copy" a BMW, they most definately could. However, as your second idea states, I like the distinction between what a Lexus offers, and what a BMW does. They are both excellent brands and have vehicles which achieve their goals, but I just prefer the type of ride and experience that Lexus offers. I think many magazine articles miss this as well, as they always assume that any vehicle must be tied closely to performance dynamics, instead of everyday driving, which I feel Lexus has hit the mark on with its attention to detail.
Old 08-14-06, 08:29 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know who first invented Quad Exhausts?
I don't think its bmw.
Old 08-14-06, 08:45 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lux.sh
Does anyone know who first invented Quad Exhausts?
I don't think its bmw.
Are you talking about quad exhausts or quad exhausts tips?
Old 08-14-06, 09:27 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Are you talking about quad exhausts or quad exhausts tips?
Quad exhaust tips. Since the E90 owner claimed lexus copied bmw's quad exhaust(not really quad exhaust configuration, just 4 tips), I was wondering whether BMW is the originator of the quad tips or not.

I thought more upper scale supercar manufacturers created the such thing first.
Old 08-14-06, 09:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i mean quad exausts or tips, is that an invention? How ridicilous can you get... I think Lotus race car had quad exausts in 60's...
Old 08-14-06, 09:34 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quad exhaust tips. Since the E90 owner claimed lexus copied bmw's quad exhaust(not really quad exhaust configuration, just 4 tips), I was wondering whether BMW is the originator of the quad tips or not.

I thought more upper scale supercar manufacturers created the such thing first.

Uh... take two mufflers with dual outlets and you have quad exhaust tips.... whats so hard about that?

My 1990 Nissan 300zxTT had them stock and I replaced them with an aftermarket catback. They offer no special flow advantages.

Was your question a joke?
Old 08-14-06, 09:36 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Companies nowadays are "borrowing " each other's designs

I'll leave the exterior out since it's subjective, but lexus interiors are no where near other car makers

However, I haven't heard bmw complain about the new s550 blatant rip off of their interior design
This is where I think mb lost their originality
Old 08-14-06, 09:49 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bean
Was your question a joke?

No it was a serious question.
Other E90 owner claimed lexus copied BMW's quad tips, I said quad tips are used by just about any manufacturers and its not really a "copy". Then they wouldn't listen, so I wanted to show them a valid proof that BMW wasn't the originator of the quad tips.
Old 08-14-06, 09:50 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
This is where I think mb lost their originality
MB lost their originality reputation in 2000s when they basically lifted 7 series interior and copied. Even MB owners agree with this, and are embrassed by it.

I really have no idea why MB has done such thing. They were good on their own.
Old 08-14-06, 10:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I see no resemblence b/t the IS rear and 3 series sedan rear besides that spoiler which isnt even OEM, so I dunno what their point was
Old 08-14-06, 10:05 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

lux.sh

I dont know why you even bother trying to talk sense to some of those guys over there, that's why i didnt bother read the post after the 1st page. It's useless, they're hell bent on thinking that BMW created everything and no amount of talking is going to change that.

I swear sometimes i'm embarassed to be driving a BMW because of the stigma that comes w/ it.
Old 08-14-06, 10:09 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foofighter
I swear sometimes i'm embarassed to be driving a BMW because of the stigma that comes w/ it.

.......+1000
Old 08-14-06, 10:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

MB lost their originality reputation in 2000s when they basically lifted 7 series interior and copied. Even MB owners agree with this, and are embrassed by it.

I really have no idea why MB has done such thing. They were good on their own.
Before I get too off topic, so MB has done it back then already and now they're repeating it for this generation? (this is a question with an answer already)

I didn't realize that.........I'm going to check out the previous 7 interior again.

No more comparison b/t mb and bmw in this thread for me.

Quick Reply: So BMW owners think Lexus = BMW-Copy. what do you think?