Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So BMW owners think Lexus = BMW-Copy. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 10:19 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No more comparison b/t mb and bmw in this thread for me.
yeah! no more turning this thread into BMW vs MB.
j/k.
Old 08-14-06, 10:50 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see alittle bit of BMW copying Lexus but you can see Lexus influence in alot of cars. Led gauges are the rage now and we know who started that. Also everyone is copying the IS300 tailights. When i drove a bmw 525i(2003) the other day i noticed BMW has cpied the Lexus key design, the beep sound when you lock and unlock the doors also it has the same pwer tilt and telescoping steering wheel as the original LS400 even comes linked to the ignition like lexus.
Old 08-14-06, 12:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lux.sh
MB lost their originality reputation in 2000s when they basically lifted 7 series interior and copied. Even MB owners agree with this, and are embrassed by it.

I really have no idea why MB has done such thing. They were good on their own.
This to me is copying.
There is a difference between influence and outright copying...

In this thread we all need to recognize the difference.

As for quad pipes, lol, they have been around for ages. I will say is Lexus does keep the product one on top the other, that would be a first.

BTW, those electrolumincent gauges in many new luxury cars, Lexus had them first.

Old 08-14-06, 12:28 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Aesthetically, the new LS460 looks like the BMW 7 series (put them side by side). The rest of the Lexus line up looks unique.
Old 08-14-06, 12:44 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Aesthetically, the new LS460 looks like the BMW 7 series (put them side by side). The rest of the Lexus line up looks unique.
Oh come on... the LS looks far more elegant than the Bangle-ized 7.
Old 08-14-06, 12:57 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Oh come on... the LS looks far more elegant than the Bangle-ized 7.
Some one should post up both cars for comparison. Both cars look so much alike from the side angle. Some folks might get confused in the parking lot
Old 08-14-06, 12:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

side profile and rear of the 750 (not the UFO 745 tailights) look similar to the LS460, not the front tho
Old 08-14-06, 01:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I don't agree with the first part, but agree to the second. I think if Lexus truely wanted to "copy" a BMW, they most definately could. However, as your second idea states, I like the distinction between what a Lexus offers, and what a BMW does. They are both excellent brands and have vehicles which achieve their goals, but I just prefer the type of ride and experience that Lexus offers. I think many magazine articles miss this as well, as they always assume that any vehicle must be tied closely to performance dynamics, instead of everyday driving, which I feel Lexus has hit the mark on with its attention to detail.
I think we have two different meanings for driving dynamics. I'm talking about handling (including braking) and steering feel. It is no secret that Lexus does benchmark BMWs and I think they are looking for the magic that BMW seems to find where they sort of put it all together. I think Lexus would love to find this key - especially for cars like the GS and the IS.
Old 08-14-06, 01:52 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

it cant be all voodoo, i mean every manufacturer dissects and looks at all the components and shock valving etc...if Lexus really wanted the car to feel/drive like a BMW I would imagine that it wouldnt be that difficult to copy. Unless i'm way off base.
Old 08-14-06, 02:04 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
I dont think its a question of Lexus trying to copy BMW but one or two BMW owners not wanting to drive their cars more then 20 minutes due to back fatigue and they are just jealous that Lexus is the most comfortable car theyve ever sat in, simple....
You are joking right?

I think all lexus seats are horrbile.

The seat cushion after long drive in my 01 IS and 01 RX were squashed and really hurts my rear. And they don't provide any lateral lower back support, which also made me suffer from lower back pain.

Last year, I drove my M5 down from Oregon to bay area (600 miles in 10 hours straight, only stop to get gas). Despite a stiff susepnsion, the seat cushion still provided good support. Not to mention the excellent side bolster that also supported my lower back quiet well. My back felt fine. Had i made the trip with my ex-lexus, i will most likely suffer massive backpain.

In fact, even with the new GS that i went to test drive when i was shopping for my daily driver. I still don't like the seat. Too flat, and cushion itself does not stand up after long period of use.

German are much better with seat design than the japanese.
Old 08-14-06, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
it cant be all voodoo, i mean every manufacturer dissects and looks at all the components and shock valving etc...if Lexus really wanted the car to feel/drive like a BMW I would imagine that it wouldnt be that difficult to copy. Unless i'm way off base.
you are very correct... all manufacturers buy and dismantle competition to see whats going on...

Even LS vs 7 series - which is way overthought design, with way too many lines... if you check in the small picture, their profiles might look similar, but check larger pics or see them in person, and I mean if you confuse 7 series and LS460 on the parking lot, you left your glases at home.

Also, LS430 has similar profile as well, just less rounded. And I would guess many other cars do as well.
Old 08-14-06, 02:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

and to say IS looks like 3 series.. I mean, lol, how funny is that? lol.
Old 08-14-06, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chiawei
You are joking right?

The seat cushion after long drive in my 01 IS and 01 RX were squashed and really hurts my rear. And they don't provide any lateral lower back support, which also made me suffer from lower back pain.

Last year, I drove my M5 down from Oregon to bay area (600 miles in 10 hours straight, only stop to get gas). Despite a stiff susepnsion, the seat cushion still provided good support. Not to mention the excellent side bolster that also supported my lower back quiet well. My back felt fine. Had i made the trip with my ex-lexus, i will most likely suffer massive backpain.

In fact, even with the new GS that i went to test drive when i was shopping for my daily driver. I still don't like the seat. Too flat, and cushion itself does not stand up after long period of use.

You are comparing a seat from a special built machine (M5) to standard luxury vehicles. I would hope the M5s seats are better.

And I have stated many times, I am not a fan of Lexus seats, except the SC and 1IS.

Old 08-14-06, 03:08 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by chiawei
You are joking right?

I guess it's different for everyone

When I had the 01 S500, I COULD NOT get comfortable in those seat. There are so many seating positions.....but no matter what I could not get as comfortable. (However, when I sat the 01 CL, they were really comfortable and supportive. ) I got to the point that I wanted to buy 2 cl seats and swap them into the S500. Thankfully I don't have that car anymore.

I'm not kidding. I couldn't wait to get in my gs. The gs fits me like a glove. When my wife was pregnant, we took the gx on long trip and not one complaint from her also.

As for the 7, the seats were comfortable and supportive. I can see that the seats "hug" you-when you turn on the car pumps up like the Reebok Pump and hold you while you make that 90 degree right turn It deflates when turned off.

With the lexus seats, they're soft and very comfortable (to me) but don't hold you in. I do slide around on more aggressive driving
Old 08-14-06, 03:22 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are comparing a seat from a special built machine (M5) to standard luxury vehicles. I would hope the M5s seats are better.

And I have stated many times, I am not a fan of Lexus seats, except the SC and 1IS.

My M5 only has standard seat as I did not order the M-active seat as i don't want the extra weight.

I should have also made comment clear. I found overall, the german seats are better than Lexus. I liked the E39 seats (had two cars), the W211 seats (also had two cars), W209, and the G waggen. The seats are just more supportive and don't bottom out like the respective lexus seat.

The lexus seat even though are soft initially. Really does not hold up well during long trips. It may feel comfortable initially. But long trip is really horrible.

I actually like the hard seat in german cars as they tends to hold up much better during long drive.

Quick Reply: So BMW owners think Lexus = BMW-Copy. what do you think?