Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Products — Lexus IS convertible delayed, LF-A to take on Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 08:04 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Future Products — Lexus IS convertible delayed, LF-A to take on Corvette

The LF-A concept, pictured here, is the inspiration for a two-passenger, high-performance coupe arriving in 2008.

By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 08/14/06, 2:16 pm et

IS 250/350: The rwd sedan was redesigned for the 2006 model year; a coupe is in development, likely for the 2008 model year.

A convertible was expected to debut when the coupe arrived. But Lexus is worried that its planned convertible may not succeed in a world of hard-top convertibles. The model may be sent back to the drawing board, forcing a delay.

Lexus executives downplay reports of a V-8, saying the big engine would kill the car's handling - not to mention that a 300-hp V-6 is plenty for a car this size. Don't rule out a hybrid as a midcycle addition.

ES 350: The redesigned 2007 model debuted in the spring.

GS 300/430: The GS sedans get engine upgrades for the 2007 model year: a 3.5-liter V-6 and a 4.6-liter V-8. The V-6 may arrive this fall, while the V-8 may have to wait for the LS 460 to show up first.

LS 460: Lexus executives claim the redesigned 2007 LS 460 will take the luxury segment by storm. A 4.6-liter V-8 produces 380 hp and is mated to an industry-first eight-speed automatic transmission. Rear- and all-wheel drive will be offered. Mating the V-8 engine to Toyota's hybrid powertrain, the LS 600hL will have the equivalent power of a 6.0-liter V-12 engine while delivering the fuel economy of a small V-8.

Interior features will also be impressive, such as a rear executive seat with ottoman and massage and infrared temperature sensors to monitor cabin temperature more accurately.

SC 430: The retractable-hardtop coupe gets a redesign in summer 2007, sharing the IS/GS platform. The 2008 model also will share the 4.6-liter V-8. Lexus is looking at proportions and stance similar to those of a BMW 6 series.

LF-A: Lexus' two-passenger, high-performance sports car will be unveiled at the same time as the Japan Formula One race moves to Toyota's home, Fuji Speedway, in the fall of 2007. It is likely that a big 500-hp V-8 will be the powerplant, as a V-8 has weight and packaging advantages over the all-but-dead V-10 program. It would arrive in the United States in spring 2008.

Small crossover: Lexus once thought about using the RAV4 as the basis for a luxury vehicle. Executives concluded that the platform was too downmarket. But the success of the BMW X3 and the arrival of the Acura RDX and Volvo XC50 have them rethinking. If a thumbs up is given, it could arrive for the 2009 model year.

RX 350/400h: The V-6 engine gets bumped to 3.5 liters and adds a six-speed automatic transmission for the 2007 model year. A redesign comes in spring 2008. It will be slightly larger but not as large as the Toyota Highlander. The new target width is the same as that of the Acura MDX.

JX 470: The big brother to the RX 330 crossover comes off the new GS sedan platform in mid-2007. For styling hints and dimensions, look to the Lexus LF-X (nee HPX) concept car, which had a 116-inch wheelbase, 194-inch overall length and room for three rows of seats. Power would come from a 4.3-liter V-8, although a 3.5-liter V-6 also might be offered. Competitors include the Infiniti FX35 and FX45.

GX 470: No major changes are foreseen.

LX 470: A proposed large, Sequoia-based SUV has been killed from the product plan. That means the LX 470 lives on in its current form when the Toyota Land Cruiser gets redesigned.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 08-15-06, 08:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
[IMG]SC 430: The retractable-hardtop coupe gets a redesign in summer 2007, sharing the IS/GS platform. The 2008 model also will share the 4.6-liter V-8. Lexus is looking at proportions and stance similar to those of a BMW 6 series.
That's the first time I've heard a redesigned SC will come this early, probably 1/2 a year to one year earlier than I expect. They need the upgrade though since the current one was never upgraded in any significant way.
Old 08-15-06, 08:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad the IS hardtop convertible will be delayed. Good thing the coupe is still coming as planned.

The SC definately needs to be redesigned before the IS convertible arrives. The IS will trump the SC in most specs with a much lower price tag. Give the SC the new V8 with all the bells and whistles you can find on the new LS and it should be one hell of a ride!!!
Old 08-15-06, 08:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
That's the first time I've heard a redesigned SC will come this early, probably 1/2 a year to one year earlier than I expect. They need the upgrade though since the current one was never upgraded in any significant way.
how do you mean that? it got standard Lexus/Toyota facelift in mid 2005, exactly 2 years before brand new version should be out and exactly with Toyota new model policies which is.
Old 08-15-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very interesting, quite a bit of news there i think, if they are reliable.

i wonder what lexus is going to do about the 2is convertible, as in what extra they are putting in it to compete with others. i assume they see the 3 series hard top as top competition. and putting the car back to drawing board is a big statement too, that sounds like quite a bit of changes necessary

shocking about the is500 as well. so sounds like they are not sure about the car now coz' of the heavier engine? if so, then i think it reveils the chassis design of the 2is. maybe it really can't handle that much power / weight? i hope lexus can work something out, if they seriously want to use the 2is to compete with 3 series. look over on bmw side, they are using the same platfoum and sticking a 400hp v8 in it

first time i hear about all new design on the sc as well, and that's almost a yr sooner than what most have speculated. well, i guess our cars can stand another yr

and apparently lexus is still not sure what engine to put in the lfa yet?! i mean they are not even sure about v8 or v10. if it's v8 again, i guess it will be another while before we see v10 from lexus?
Old 08-15-06, 09:40 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the 2007 RX350 uses a 5 speed auto?
Old 08-15-06, 09:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how do you mean that? it got standard Lexus/Toyota facelift in mid 2005, exactly 2 years before brand new version should be out and exactly with Toyota new model policies which is.
Actually it's LATE 2005 that it got the facelift (in the fall). A mid-2005 facelift would have been in March/April 2005
Old 08-15-06, 09:50 AM
Gotham
Rookie

I hope that Lexus brings out seperate coupe and convertible versions of the next SC. I love the current SC, but I don't really need a convertible.
Old 08-15-06, 10:01 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

oh thats too bad
i really thought lexus is going to have a V8 IS500
Old 08-15-06, 10:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
oh thats too bad
i really thought lexus is going to have a V8 IS500
Lexus is downplaying the rumor, not eliminating it...
Old 08-15-06, 10:25 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
oh thats too bad
i really thought lexus is going to take on Ferrari
That has to be simply some arbitrarily chosen headline from some clueless journalist--definitely not from Lexus. Anyone who's ever sat in a Corvette knows what crowd Chevrolet is after, namely the cheap performance seekers. The LF-A on the other hand competes with the likes of Aston Martin and Maserati, the high-performance luxury segment. It isn't quite a Ferrari competitor either, however, since that belongs to the pure sports car segment, evident from the engine placement.
Old 08-15-06, 10:36 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus executives downplay reports of a V-8, saying the big engine would kill the car's handling - not to mention that a 300-hp V-6 is plenty for a car this size. Don't rule out a hybrid as a midcycle addition.
I am sorry but I think it's rubbish.

Wtf do they mean by big V8 would kill the car's handling??

They have no clue what they are talking about, and 300hp is plenty? Yes it was plenty 2 years ago, but not in 2007!
Old 08-15-06, 10:39 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
That has to be simply some arbitrarily chosen headline from some clueless journalist--definitely not from Lexus.
I totally agree. Whoever wrote this article is pulling junk from his ***. LF-A taking on Vett? come on! I am not saying vett is not a good car but Lexus is'nt after vett. If they want to go after vett, they would use toyota name plate not lexus. Lexus is after something like SL600 or F430.
Old 08-15-06, 10:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
I am sorry but I think it's rubbish.

Wtf do they mean by big V8 would kill the car's handling??

They have no clue what they are talking about, and 300hp is plenty? Yes it was plenty 2 years ago, but not in 2007!
I agree. Look at the RS4. That is one nose-heavy V8 AWD car. And yet every review praises highly of its superior handling. Come on Lexus. You have the mule screaming 'round the Nurburgring. Just let it out already!
Old 08-15-06, 11:23 AM
Sup
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl

shocking about the is500 as well. so sounds like they are not sure about the car now coz' of the heavier engine? if so, then i think it reveils the chassis design of the 2is. maybe it really can't handle that much power / weight? i hope lexus can work something out, if they seriously want to use the 2is to compete with 3 series. look over on bmw side, they are using the same platfoum and sticking a 400hp v8 in it

of course the IS can handle a V8, they are testing the mule all over the place. not only that, every major Japanese Auto publication has confirmed that there will be an IS500.

Quick Reply: Future Products — Lexus IS convertible delayed, LF-A to take on Corvette