Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cops in NJ are using this new technology.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 03:06 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thought of giving the Po'lice more reasons to pull me over scares the crap
out of me. But I think pulling over cars that are un-registered and un-insured
is definitely a good thing. There are too many illegals driving around in So.Cal
here getting into accidents they can't take care of. I know 3 people who have
been rear ended by uninsured illegals.

The police pulling info on your license plate is just the beginning. There is
a private company which takes pictures of people's license plates and allows
people to track the movement of cars. Scary techonology.

This can be used by criminals, obsesive stalkers, repo men, collection agencies, etc. I'm sure when our lawmakers said it's legal for people to take
pictures of cars and license plates on public roads, they didn't see this
coming. Here's a link to the article on Wired:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...l?tw=rss.index
Old 08-16-06, 05:12 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that insurance could not be verified in their system when you get pulled over? I've been pulled over a few times without my insurance card readily available and always got the fix-it ticket.
Old 08-16-06, 07:00 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well even though most dont' have nothing to hide, as in safe people/drivers, I don't want every damn cop pulling my plates every time I pass them.

HELLO CONSTITUTION!!!!

They usually do... talking to a few Sheriff's and FHP's I know, if they are just cruising around chances are, they are running your tags to see what comes up. That's what they do, Mike... sorry, buddy.
Old 08-16-06, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stage3
They usually do... talking to a few Sheriff's and FHP's I know, if they are just cruising around chances are, they are running your tags to see what comes up. That's what they do, Mike... sorry, buddy.

So then, wouldn't getting a personalized tag make it easier. hell say they remember 1sicklex (which people seem to do and try to internet thug me), they could pull it up and I am not even there and call the troops to say "hey that bish has warrents"//

Lol but not funny

Old 08-16-06, 08:40 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

I'm all for getting terrible uninsured and unlicensed drivers off the road.
Old 08-16-06, 08:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes on getting those guys off the road, however some of this tech has the potential to get way too intrusive, to the point where your right to privacy is infringed upon. There is already the debate over the 'black boxes' in cars, recording your inputs.

I don't want to have a car that detects you are 8 mph over the speed limit, shuts your car off, and calls the police (your car turns you in!). I believe that ultimately, the human being deserves to be in control. Let law enforcement do their job, but I don't want to have their job become Big Brother.

Just like mandatory drug tests in schools, and other excessive screening where everyone is put under suspicion for the crimes of a few.

As for this license plate scanning thing, I am on the fence. I hope they use it for good reasons, I am all for getting the uninsured off the road. But I hope they do not use it for harassing drivers for overly minor infractions.
Old 08-16-06, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by enigma888
Yes on getting those guys off the road, however some of this tech has the potential to get way too intrusive, to the point where your right to privacy is infringed upon. There is already the debate over the 'black boxes' in cars, recording your inputs.

I don't want to have a car that detects you are 8 mph over the speed limit, shuts my car off, calls the police (your car turns you in!). I believe that ultimately, the human being deserves to be in control. Let law enforcement do their job, but I don't want to have their job become Big Brother.

Just like mandatory drug tests in schools, and other excessive screening where everyone is put under suspicion for the crimes of a few.

As for this license plate scanning thing, I am on the fence.
Thank you.
Get off your lazy asses and FIND the criminals. That is what we PAY you for. Your just trying to make things easier and easier.

All criminals are going to do is find ways to trick this system and it doesn't sound too hard to do.

Old 08-16-06, 09:39 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until they finish taking all the unlicensed & uninsured drivers off the road... Next they will drive around neighborhoods and parking lots checking for unpaid parking tickets. Just your luck, you paid but they messed up the processing and you find your car missing in the morning or after work.
Old 08-16-06, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Well even though most dont' have nothing to hide, as in safe people/drivers, I don't want every damn cop pulling my plates every time I pass them.

HELLO CONSTITUTION!!!!
What if the car scans every license plate around them, automatically looks up everything about the car and driver, BUT only notifies the officer driving IF there's a reason to pull the car over? Seems to me it's not unconsitutional because the officer isn't looking stuff up and the car is only correlating information already known to police.
Old 08-16-06, 10:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

So then, wouldn't getting a personalized tag make it easier. hell say they remember 1sicklex (which people seem to do and try to internet thug me), they could pull it up and I am not even there and call the troops to say "hey that bish has warrents"//

Lol but not funny
Not really... well... not under those circumstances. They can't FIND you... it has to be by chance USUALLY... It all depends on the warrant, say vehicular manslaughter, they are going to come find you. If it's something like an unpaid parking ticket or speeding ticket, they are going wait for a chance encounter. That's how my girl got popped. DWSL (Driving with a suspended license) for a ticket from 2000 that she "forgot" to pay for. She got nabbed by a random FHP that happened to be right behind her at a stop light. Sucks, but that's life.
Old 08-17-06, 03:17 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Thank you.
Get off your lazy asses and FIND the criminals. That is what we PAY you for. Your just trying to make things easier and easier.

All criminals are going to do is find ways to trick this system and it doesn't sound too hard to do.
Like rip the effing ecu out and get a stand alone, that disables the big brother nannies.
Old 08-17-06, 06:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Thank you.

what do you think they are doing, they are more efficiently scanning offending drivers vehicles which will increase the number of offenders detected and penalized/convicted sounds like they are finding law breakers to me. Manually typing these plates in is ultra inefficient compared to this new system which can handle multiple plates nearly instantly AND have automatic notifications of suspicious subjects. I dont see any problems over the old method, its probably literally 50x faster and more efficient than typing that junk in
Old 08-17-06, 08:08 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=bruce van;2071245]The thought of giving the Po'lice more reasons to pull me over scares the crap
out of me. But I think pulling over cars that are un-registered and un-insured
is definitely a good thing. There are too many illegals driving around in So.Cal
here getting into accidents they can't take care of. I know 3 people who have
been rear ended by uninsured illegals.

I don't know when this technology came out, but I'm with bruce here regarding being scared. Police around here are borderline reckless in terms of pulling people over for no apparent reason. It's happened to my friends and me on more than one occassion. I feel like this will just legitimize their cause. I do not live in a dangerous neighborhood, by the way. We don't even lock our doors during the day.

As much as I don't want unsafe drivers or illegal drivers on the road, I'd rather see an alternative way to solving the solution than to pull people over by the masses. When I see a cop pull somone over in my area, I don't think he's protecting me or the drivers on the road, I think of possible harassment.

For those that have been to municipal courts in Jersey, you've probably realized that we have no rights there. The prosecutor, judge, and policemen/women are blatantly on the same team. I think if the towns are going to give the police that much power (or pressure to give tickets), they have to balance it out by giving the people a real voice in the court system. In Jersey today, it's a lose-lose situation for the driver.

Why am I not surprised that the government here is picking up on detection technology for the police in the midst of a balance fiasco.
Old 08-17-06, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thank you.
Get off your lazy asses and FIND the criminals. That is what we PAY you for.
I agree in principle, but there isn't always TIME to get off your keister when some jackass flies past you at 90 MPH.

HELLO CONSTITUTION!!!!
Difficult issue here. People.....including drivers.....as you say, DO have Constitutional freedoms and rights, but legally driving is a priviledge, not a right.

For instance, I have to go in and out of Federal buildings every day on my job, but legally I can't b**ch because the guards want to see my Federal building pass each time I go in and out, or make me sign in and out after hours. That's just something that goes with the job.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-17-06 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Not really... well... not under those circumstances. They can't FIND you... it has to be by chance USUALLY... It all depends on the warrant, say vehicular manslaughter, they are going to come find you. If it's something like an unpaid parking ticket or speeding ticket, they are going wait for a chance encounter. That's how my girl got popped. DWSL (Driving with a suspended license) for a ticket from 2000 that she "forgot" to pay for. She got nabbed by a random FHP that happened to be right behind her at a stop light. Sucks, but that's life.
Right but that's today. What if date from fixed cameras, ALL cop cars, and maybe 'roadside assistance' location data or for example, is all correlated, and up pops on the police car's screen "hey, there's an offender .3 miles down main street, turn left at the next intersection".

Or if the officer is just prompted with 'targets' ranked by 'value' and he or she can just go after whomever they want. It doesn't have to be just line of sight from the car.

Correlating distributed sensor data is amazingly powerful. This is how the military does it.

Quick Reply: Cops in NJ are using this new technology.