Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 911 turbo has put on 1,000 lbs and what 200hp in 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 05:01 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Good points there Mike. I was just taking a good look at a new 997 turbo earlier today. 3600 lbs. for a Porsche is silly. Sure they're faster than previous gen 911s, but there's something to be said about the feel of a lighter and more nimble car. I don't understand why people are so infatuated with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - they only tell part of the story.

But I'd still love to have one.

Last edited by pvmike1; 08-17-06 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 05:57 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche purists believe the last true 911 was air cooled. Anything they can say to add to the negativity of today's car only fuels their fire. Most sports car purists believe a real sports car is light and nimble with its lackof bulk aiding the speed rather than monstous hp. These purists probably drool when they see a Mazda Miata.
Today's sports car enthusiast want a car with monstrous hp and torque. It also needs to be safe but also reliable and tame enough for daily driving. It's harder to achieve that with little teeny light weight cars. Unless they are made with the most strongest light weight materials that would boost the prices even higher than they are now. The good thing is Porsche has something for everyone with enough money to fulfill their fantasies. There's the light GT2 and GT3 meant for the track and sits in the garage when not on the track. There's the 911 for spirited daily driving fun. There's the Turbo for daily driving fun plus enough mustard for bragging rights. Then there's the GT for pure driving excitement. Those wishing exclusivity can opt for the tuners...Ruf, Gemballa, etc. Looks like Porsche is the most versatile sports car brand on the market...especially when you add the Cayenne.
Old 08-17-06, 06:31 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Porsche purists believe the last true 911 was air cooled. Anything they can say to add to the negativity of today's car only fuels their fire. Most sports car purists believe a real sports car is light and nimble with its lackof bulk aiding the speed rather than monstous hp. These purists probably drool when they see a Mazda Miata.
Today's sports car enthusiast want a car with monstrous hp and torque. It also needs to be safe but also reliable and tame enough for daily driving. It's harder to achieve that with little teeny light weight cars. Unless they are made with the most strongest light weight materials that would boost the prices even higher than they are now. The good thing is Porsche has something for everyone with enough money to fulfill their fantasies. There's the light GT2 and GT3 meant for the track and sits in the garage when not on the track. There's the 911 for spirited daily driving fun. There's the Turbo for daily driving fun plus enough mustard for bragging rights. Then there's the GT for pure driving excitement. Those wishing exclusivity can opt for the tuners...Ruf, Gemballa, etc. Looks like Porsche is the most versatile sports car brand on the market...especially when you add the Cayenne.
Most people wouldn't dispute the 911 being a sports car, but I would say that it could stand to lose a lot of weight, lose two (useless) seats, and not be offered in autotragic form.

I would love to have a 911 C2S coupe for daily driving and a Miata for weekend twisties, though. God willing, this will happen for me sooner rather than later.
Old 08-17-06, 08:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the performance gains from the autos shifting speed far outweigh the slight weight increase over a manual
Old 08-17-06, 08:58 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the performance gains from the autos shifting speed far outweigh the slight weight increase over a manual
0-60 times maybe, but wouldn't be as fun.
Old 08-18-06, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have to agree. i can care less if the 0-60 is that much slightly faster on the auto. if i get a car like that i want to have fun and have control over it
Old 08-18-06, 08:09 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Drool Drool Drool

Originally Posted by chuckb

3.7 seconds 0-60
193 MPH

what's teh problem again?
My God I must be Pavlogs dog. Drool Drool Drool

Lets see what would I have to give up.
House, wife, 401K. Okay we've got a deal

Ivan
3dog

Thanks for the new wallpaper Chuck
Old 08-18-06, 09:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
My God I must be Pavlogs dog. Drool Drool Drool

Lets see what would I have to give up.
House, wife, 401K. Okay we've got a deal

Ivan
3dog

Thanks for the new wallpaper Chuck
i would have to sell couple of organs on top of that...
Old 08-18-06, 09:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

has the 911 always had AWD, the new one does, that adds some weight down the generations if it appeared in one
Old 08-18-06, 11:04 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipermann1
I looked into the weight of the cars also, especially since Ferrari and Lambo's are also becoming heavier.

The simple answer is this:

Each year the federal government raises the standard for safety and crash tests (frontal, side, roll-over, rear, etc).

The extra strenght (safety) can only be achieve by added more aluminum or steel components. (Carbon-Fiber is still very expensive to work with from a factor standpoint).

Electronics: Car have so much in the way of electronics, thus more cabeling and wiring to support: HID lights, CD player with changer, MP3 players, power windows, power door locks, traction control, Antilock brakes, Navigation.

Just my 2 cents!

True, it's all the US's fault.
If it wasn't for all the aibags and safety stuff it would only weigh about half

Seriously, driving is dangerous, it can kill you.
Old 08-20-06, 07:54 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Richie
True, it's all the US's fault.
If it wasn't for all the aibags and safety stuff it would only weigh about half

Seriously, driving is dangerous, it can kill you.
And we need the government to protect us from ourselves. After all how much is a single life worth?!? But that's another rant for another thread.

I'm amazed at how little the new 911 turbo doesn't move me. I thought about doing a "5 cars I should like but don't" and the new 911 was top of the list. For me it is especially sad as the first car magazine I bought was because of Danny Ongais driving a 930 Turbo vs. a Turbo bike. I loved that 930 and always wanted one but after the 959 they have sort of become less and less interesting to me.

Here's a picture of the magazine from 27 years ago, yes I still have it on the shelf, with the performance specs of the bike and car.

Enjoy!

Old 08-20-06, 11:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, how things do change. Take a look at the compression level of that 930 motor ROFL.
Old 08-20-06, 06:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very cool article Mr. Johnson.
Old 08-21-06, 04:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chuckb
very cool article Mr. Johnson.
+1 wow, I was amazed to read that!

Old 08-22-06, 11:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Your thoughts? I think its ridiculous such a small car weighs 3600lbs and I am a Porsche nut. Yes, the GT3 RS will be lighter but goodness, the day of the 4000 lbs 911 is coming?
The LS 430 is only 300lbs more!

Cars weigh to much and will continue to weigh more as we want starbucks machines, coke dispensers, a Dell computer, 50" t.v and Mark Levinson home stereo in our cars.

Thus gas mileage will only increase marginally, no matter hybrids or not.

Okay, guess this is a rant. Kudos to CHEVY, the Z06 is barely over 3000 lbs....

Wow, zo6 is that light? But aren't they expenssssssive to insure, all that fiberglass and such?

Slightly OT but since we're in the 2 ton category, I still can't believe how heavy SL's are. 07 sl 550 shows that it's 4220
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/merce...ecs.html?p=ext