Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 04:53 PM
gvc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason why Im choosing between the two brands is that I have both a Benz and a BMW before,and to be honest about it I havent encountered a problem with both brands. I like the interior of the benz, though the handling is quite lofty , where as BMW the drive quality is truly un-matched for the dollar compared with other brands (but thats only my personal opinion) although I really dont loike its interior. Reason why I chose a GS when I dispose of my last car (Benz) I was thinking like its a cross between the two brands, though to be honest about it Im kinda mildly disappointed with the 3rd GS, performance and interior wise (I cant seem to get the right seating position) but maybe because I bought a 300 instead of the 430, dont get me wrong though Lexus is a great value for the money.
Old 08-17-06, 05:04 PM
4evDev
Pole Position

I'd go for the BMW, but an Infinity M45 would be an option as well!
Old 08-17-06, 05:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gvc
The reason why Im choosing between the two brands is that I have both a Benz and a BMW before,and to be honest about it I havent encountered a problem with both brands. I like the interior of the benz, though the handling is quite lofty , where as BMW the drive quality is truly un-matched for the dollar compared with other brands (but thats only my personal opinion) although I really dont loike its interior. Reason why I chose a GS when I dispose of my last car (Benz) I was thinking like its a cross between the two brands, though to be honest about it Im kinda mildly disappointed with the 3rd GS, performance and interior wise (I cant seem to get the right seating position) but maybe because I bought a 300 instead of the 430, dont get me wrong though Lexus is a great value for the money.
when did you own ur BMW and benz?

generally any pre 2000 bmw is great on reliability and electronics (mostly) and any pre 98-99 Benz is a decent car as well.
Old 08-17-06, 05:28 PM
gvc
Driver School Candidate

I once had a 96 BMW 328I, and an 01, 330I, with Benz I once had an 87 190E 16 valve, 1990 300E, an 04, C320 and an 05 ML 350 Designo edition.
Old 08-17-06, 10:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

how were the C320 and the ML? ive had a couple freinds with with C240s and 320s and theyv had nothing but crap with them. also the keep *****ing to me about the dealers being complete asses.
Old 08-18-06, 07:19 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
how many people do you know that drive new(ish) bmw's (02+) that havent gone back at least once or twice for some kind of electrical issue?
I don't know too many people who drive new(ish) BMWs, can only found 4 (excluding my wife's totaled 2001 330xi as it's pre-02). I know one who drives a 545i, one with a 530i, one with 745i, and one with an X3. Haven't heard any kind of electrical issue. Oh, and the 330xi I mentioned about, except for a burnt brake light bulb, no problem at all before it saved my wife's life when some moron decided to charge down the road at 40 mph+ when there's my wife's car and a red light waiting ahead while turning her head around and scold at her shouting kids.

But for the Lexus, so far I have a grab handle that doesn't rebounce at the rate like the other three does, even after the dealer change a new one for me, plus a technician decided not to put the oil cap back to where it belongs after an oil change. Oh, and I am still waiting for the recall about the clip under the dash that may break loose and interfere with the pedals.
Old 08-18-06, 10:23 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

If you must stray from Lexus on your sisters car purchase then the M35/ 45 is the best choice in your price range. Its reliable, handles well, roomy and a great overall package.
Old 08-18-06, 11:55 AM
gvc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
how were the C320 and the ML? ive had a couple freinds with with C240s and 320s and theyv had nothing but crap with them. also the keep *****ing to me about the dealers being complete asses.
I hope I wont get flame for this, but this is only based on my experience on the car that Ive had b4. Iam probably one of the lucky ones for owning a benz that did not gave me any problem, I swear the 320 did not give me any head-ache, while the ML is also great,probably because Ive bought the last model year w/c is an 05.
In fact if I have to compare the driving dynamics of both the 320 and the ML to my 3rd GS, Ill say the Benz is way better,but gadget wise definitely GS is incomparable.
GS navigation is a joy to use and very user friendly, although I wish that the nav on the GS can also be program to use the side streets instead of freeway's only, when youre caught -up in the traffic on the freeway (Benz nav can do that even when in motion).
The bluetooth on the GS is a manna from heaven cause Benz doesnt offer those standard,although I wish the GS seats are as comfortable as the Benz (but again I guess it depends on personal taste).
Regarding dealer service, yup Lexus service is definitely way,way,better than any dealer Ive encountered with (Ive both have an experience with Benz and BMW).Lexus dealers knows how to treat their customer's right, Lexus service Manager's are very accommodating, and not as snotty as the people at Benz dealers.
As Ive said in my previous post, and again Ill repeat Lexus is still a great value for the money compared to its German counterparts.
Old 08-18-06, 12:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

why would you get a flame for it?

we dont care here if u praise another manufacturer, hell i still say the SC430 is a lousy sportscar and 90% of people will agree with me, but i dont say its a bad car, just one built for a different purpose.

although u probably were lucky that none of your benzs or bmws gave you trouble () its your money in the end so dont influence your decision over what a bunch of nuts on THE internet car forum say.

also,, most people on this forum will give it up to german cars where they'r due because thats their purpose as cars. German cars (mercedes and esp. BMW) are known for being much more of a driver's car, with more communicative susp. and steering wheel feel. Lexus, on the other hand was designed to be a Luxury marque, and while there are quite a few good sport sedans (IS3/25/35, GS3+3GS) ride quality isnt sacrificed anywhere for a "sport" feel.
Old 08-19-06, 01:45 AM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMWs are, from my anecdotal experience, far more reliable than Benzes.

Which is a great shame since BMWs, except the X5, look like crap.

I would, if had to choose, still go for the Benz though. I don't know why, I suppose I am still biased (I think it is a childhood thing: I used to lust after those W126 S-classes in 1986!!).
Old 08-19-06, 12:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The only issue with the 04 525 is that it is a first year car. I normally try to avoid those - no matter what the brand.
Old 08-19-06, 02:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

German engineering :-). They are good at the mechanical stuff but not on the electrical stuff. When you pay that much for a car you shouldn't have to keep bring it back to have it fixed. I know that I was looking at buying a SL500 but went with the SC430 in part because of the quality and dependablity problems that Mercedes is having.