Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traffic deaths highest since 1990

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 10:20 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down Traffic deaths highest since 1990

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/..._fatalities_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. traffic deaths hit a 15-year high in 2005 with more people killed while riding motorcycles and in larger vehicles, government figures released on Tuesday confirmed.

ADVERTISEMENT

The total number of traffic deaths rose 1.4 percent over 2004, to 43,443, even though the number of people killed in passenger cars actually declined by 3.9 percent, according to figures issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Total fatalities were slightly higher than a 43,200 estimate released by the agency in April. The 2005 traffic deaths were the most since the 44,599 in 1990.

The improvement in cars was offset by increases in fatalities for motorcyclists, pedestrians and occupants of light trucks, a category that includes minivans, sport utility vehicles and pick-up trucks, figures provided by the agency show. The number of people killed in large trucks also increased by 4.8 percent.

The number of alcohol-related fatalities declined but only slightly, from 16,919 to 16,885, the agency said.

"Motorcyclists need to wear their helmets, drivers need to buckle up and all motorists need to stay sober," acting U.S. Secretary of Transportation Maria Cino said in a statement.

Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death for people under 35, safety advocates say.

Injuries from all traffic crashes declined by 3.2 percent to about 2.7 million, the agency said.

The largest increase in fatalities came among motorcycle riders. Deaths in that category rose 13 percent to 4,553, the agency said.

Fatalities from vehicle rollover accidents increased by 2.1 percent, the agency said. Rollover deaths in SUVs declined but that was more than offset by increases in vans and pickup trucks

Old 08-22-06, 11:22 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I was watching a piece about this on my local news station just about an hr ago.
Old 08-23-06, 12:02 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty disappointing news consider the amount technology
and safety equipment improving each year for vehicles.

The motorcycle statistic is no surprise. Fatalities on motorcycles
have increased gradually for the past few years. Some attribute
it to baby boomers being able to afford big bikes and not being
able to control them. Also, sportbikes are insanely fast today so
that has something to do with it too.
Old 08-23-06, 04:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Part of the problem with the drunken-driving deaths is that judges won't lock people up who have multiple DUI and DWI convictions or who drive with suspended and revoked licenses. They keep getting " one more chance" and keep blowing those chances..........or just thumb their noses at the law and say " ****** it, I'll drive when and how I please ". So, instead of locking them up, judges keep saying " I think you've learned your lesson...I'll give you another chance " when in fact they HAVEN'T learned their lesson.
I'm not saying lock someone up on the first offense, but when a clear pattern develops, judges have to deal with it sternly and they just haven't been doing so.
Old 08-23-06, 09:33 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read it today in the Wall Street Journal. It is sad that the deaths have gone up. I personally do not believe in harsher punishments for repeat offenders in the same way i don't believe in bringing the death penalty would stop violent crimes. It may stop a few from committing the crime, but it's not going do anything to solve the problem.

I think states should re-vamp the driver's license program, and make it a lot more thorough. Reading a the driver's booklet for one hour and being able to parallel park and do a 3 point turn (among some other ridiculous simple things in a closed lot) was all I needed to get a license here in NJ. I consider myself a careful, defensive driver, but I don't think the driving test (both written and on the road) does anything to prove someone's is worthy of a driver's license.
Old 08-23-06, 10:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

more evidence that trucks/SUVs arent as safe as most people think
Old 08-24-06, 12:43 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the 2 safest vehicle on the road (re: deaths) are SUVs, Toyota 4Runner and Lexus RX300.

They did a 5 year study and they concluded those 2 vehicles are the least likely to be killed in.

I can see the RX300 since it has side and front airbags, but the 4Runner?

But the most deadly vehicle was the Chevy Trailblazer, so it balances out, not all SUVs are safer.

Last edited by toy4two; 08-24-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by no2faber
I read it today in the Wall Street Journal. It is sad that the deaths have gone up. I personally do not believe in harsher punishments for repeat offenders in the same way i don't believe in bringing the death penalty would stop violent crimes. It may stop a few from committing the crime, but it's not going do anything to solve the problem.
Gotta disagree here. A habitual drunk or aggressive driver is going to do a LOT less damage sitting in a jail cell than behind the wheel of a vehicle.

And as far as the death penalty not being a deterrrent, someone who is six feet under will NEVER kill again........guaranteed.
Old 08-24-06, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Kind of a mixed bag here. Cars (i.e., vast majority down ~4%) but everything else is up making total up 1.4% - big whoop - I think the population increase is more than that.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, aka, safety *****, are always looking for a way to hype themselves and their cause to regulate driving even more. They'd go back to a national 55 tomorrow if they could. They're idiots.