Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Poll: Fuel economy big car-buying factor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 09:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because a navigator and rx are so similar in size (not).

better???? or feel free to name another brand SUV....something comparable...
Attached Thumbnails Poll: Fuel economy big car-buying factor-comapro.jpg  
Old 05-29-11, 03:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Running the top spec RX450h against a X5 35i or ML350 is not right in any aspect. To even be comparable, the RX450h has to be be compared to the X5 35d and the ML350 Bluetec.
he said its all about $$$$$$ - so the X5d is way out of line price-wise....$52000 versus $47k for the X5 35i.
Old 05-30-11, 08:05 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh alright then. You do also have to remember that the diesel has a $3500 ecocredit making it just a little more expensive than the RX450h.
But if you can afford a BMW, you probably won't qualify for the tax credit. I can never remember the name of this tax, but if you make something like $80k a year or more, you have to pay this dated tax and this disqualifies you from the federal government's tax rebates for buying eco friendly cars. Thus, if you can afford a Volt, it is unlikely that you would qualify for the $7500 rebate as well.
Old 05-30-11, 08:17 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Not a tax credit, BMW is offering a $3,500 discount off Diesels, like an incentive. Not gov't backed at all, more like BMW-backed.
Oh, they're still offering that? Makes the 335d more appealing, though I don't know why you wouldn't simply price your vehicles lower (for the sake of marketing!!) if you were going to offer a constant discount...or is that the marketing trick?
Old 05-30-11, 08:19 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ironically, the VW is the most expensive...let's see if these sell.
Attached Thumbnails Poll: Fuel economy big car-buying factor-capture.jpg  
Old 05-30-11, 08:29 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Seems like a marketing trick. It basically brings the diesel in line with the petrol model for pricing, so it makes the diesel an obvious better choice. More torque, better MPG, about same price
Which is why I think that a less potent, cheaper RXh could do well. It would be a no brainer for many RX buyers...but could Toyota meet demand for the battery packs? I think not.

With $3500 off, I'd take a 335d. If it only it weren't auto only...thus BMW should bring over the 330d.
Old 05-30-11, 08:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yes, a reasonable comparison. I am certainly no engineer, but I recall that Hyundai was experimenting with some kind of exhaust turbine to aid in replineshing the traction battery. Seems like it could aid hybrids in the area of highway fuel economy.

I realize this isn't the be all, end all, but on my most recent trip down I-81 I was in stop and go traffic for half an hour due to an accident. I would have certainly enjoyed the benefits of a hybrid then.
Old 05-30-11, 08:37 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The RXh seems to be doing VERY well in my area of Southern Maine. We have 1 Lexus dealer in the state and they almost never have RX hybrids to keep in stock. They're always gone. I was lucky enough to find one and take it out when I was in the market. Looking at the MPG gains, it's very stupid that some people are buying the RX350 over the h when you could actually be saving money.
Yes, resale value aside, if you plan to keep your vehicle long enough it actually makes more sense to get the h. ...however, it's hard form to visualize the delayed gratification.
Old 05-30-11, 10:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ironically, the VW is the most expensive...let's see if these sell.
uh, the chart doesn't mean much without the vehicle costs, and that chart doesn't seem to be for 100k mi.?
Old 05-30-11, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

None the less, in the this comparo, it is quite obvious the RX450h is the choice in the city. It simply gets amazing mileage in the city, but on the highway, they're almost about the same.

wow, with those tank sizes and driving highway, the rxh goes 476mi. and the toereg over 700!!
Old 05-30-11, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

wow, with those tank sizes and driving highway, the rxh goes 476mi. and the toereg over 700!!
sure... you also spend more than $100 on tank if you live in SoCal :-)
Old 05-30-11, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
People with Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, etc....., if they let their tanks get down low, are already spending $100 and up for refills, and not just at CA stations. So, of course, do those few owners who still drive old full-sized American cars from the 60s and early 70s....(I know a few of them myself). Those massive cars have 25-gallon tanks like today's big SUVs do.
Old 05-30-11, 01:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
or $200 in parts of europe.
Old 05-30-11, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

or $200 in parts of europe.
I've heard (but can't verify) that gas is over $10 (in American-dollar/gallon-equivalent) in London. And England, of course, gets North Sea oil right offshore. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive than that in countries like Italy and Spain that don't have any significant oil-production of their own.
Old 05-30-11, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Tied in with the OT, but on a slightly-different slant, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more mention of image and styling as a major factor in auto-purchases. To me, automotive image and stereotypes are a bunch of B.S. and not worthy of attention, but, with many buyers, that clearly is not the case. I have worked with many buyers who, after coming to me for advice, just couldn't bring themselves to buy a certain vehicle because it was called a "Chick Car", "Gay/Lesbian Car", "Old Man's Car", "Librarian's Car", "Schoolteacher's Car", "Macho Car", "Soccer-Mom Vehicle", etc....

They may agree that it is the best vehicle for them and their needs, but let some auto-pundit in a magazine make a snide remark about it, or one of their friends make fun of it (or even Internet-chat like ours), and then suddenly it is off the table, no matter how good a vehicle it is. It's a real shame that so many people let themselves be swayed so easily like that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-11 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Poll: Fuel economy big car-buying factor