Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Poll: Fuel economy big car-buying factor

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 03:47 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Many ways.

1. Electric motors require no maintenance. Batteries require no maintenance. The ICE does of course require maintenance, but note that it is of course being used less in a hybrid so there is less wear.
2. Brakes. This is a big one for hybrids as they have been shown to last three to four times as long as the brakes in a conventional vehicle. That is a lot of savings in the long run. At 70k miles, our Lexus mechanic said not anticipate on ever replacing the brake pads and rotors in our 400h, given the rate of wear.
3. You cannot replace parts that aren't there. Power steering pump comes to mind. Lexus hybrids feature electric power steering. There are other components as well.

This is a common misconception that hybrids are way more complex and will cost a fortune to maintain. This is simply not the case. In fact, this is why dealers do not want EVs because it leaves windshield wiper replacement and washer fluid refills as all that they need to do. This doesn't translate to income for them.

To answer your question, the Ni-mh batteries used by Toyota have proven themselves to be stalwart sources of electricity storage. There have been a number of articles on Toyota hybrids racking up over 300k miles. Yet, the idea that one might have to spend thousands on a replacement battery for his/her hybrid is still pervasive. Toyota has over 1 million hybrids on the roads throughout the world. Trust me, you would hear about it if even as many as 5% were failing.
+1, i couldn't have said it better myself

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Thanks for the facts related to Toyota/Lexus hybrid vehichles instead of the unrelated hearsay about non-automotive electric motors, etc.

Also, CR (if I remember correctly) did a long term report on an older Prius at well over 100K and the maintenance costs were very low.
i uploaded the CR article in post #9 in the link below (if anyone is interested in reading it)
link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ml#post6316267

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-30-11 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 07:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or $200 in parts of europe.
thats 100l tank, thats really huge... it is $150 here and psychologically it breaks 1000KN (our currency), i would get stomach pain every time i filled it up.

of course, it doesnt matter since you drive more miles, but your mind does not work that logically :-).

i checked here and fuel tank is 85l (22.4 gallons) :-)
Old 05-30-11, 09:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
+1, i couldn't have said it better myself

i uploaded the CR article in post #9 in the link below (if anyone is interested in reading it)
link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ml#post6316267
Thanks, that's the article/long term test. In a nutshell CR found out a Prius at 206K miles is every bit as reliable as most Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
Old 05-31-11, 12:21 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've heard (but can't verify) that gas is over $10 (in American-dollar/gallon-equivalent) in London. And England, of course, gets North Sea oil right offshore. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive than that in countries like Italy and Spain that don't have any significant oil-production of their own.
There is a garage in Park Lane, London that is always famous for having the most expensive petrol in the country. It serves a very wealthy clientel and I can well believe it would be $10 a US gallon there.
The rest of the country is bad, but not quite that bad - $8.77 per US gallon at current exchange rates is the norm.

Despite the fact that North Sea Oil production is on the wane, the UK still has cheap petrol. Unfortunately, by the time the Government has added fuel tax and then 20% VAT on top, it's as expensive, if not more so, than much of Europe.
Old 05-31-11, 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
There is a garage in Park Lane, London that is always famous for having the most expensive petrol in the country. It serves a very wealthy clientel and I can well believe it would be $10 a US gallon there.
The rest of the country is bad, but not quite that bad - $8.77 per US gallon at current exchange rates is the norm.

Despite the fact that North Sea Oil production is on the wane, the UK still has cheap petrol. Unfortunately, by the time the Government has added fuel tax and then 20% VAT on top, it's as expensive, if not more so, than much of Europe.

we have 23% VAT and yet our fuel in Croatia is cheaper by 20% than yours. And in Bosnia, it is 20% cheaper than here too :-).

Bloody taxes.