Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
no its not
Please with 13 posts save blanket statements with nothing to back them up.

In this futile magazine race, we have data showing the IS 350 is currently faster than a MANUAL G35.

DEAL with it.

CLearly on the street, its a driver's race. 5.1 and 5.3 are Neck and NECK.

Old 08-23-06, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Bottom line, I remember when this class of sedans did 0-60 in 8-9 seconds 10 years ago!

Old 08-23-06, 03:21 PM
Gotham
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 0-60 numbers that close, we should really be focusing on the sound quality of their respective stereo systems: G (Bose Studio on Wheels) vs. IS (Mark Levinson).
Old 08-23-06, 03:52 PM
insider
Pole Position

Let's face it, the new 335i is rated at 29 mpg on the highway and will beat both these cars in acceleration, handling etc. Nothing beats BMW.
Old 08-23-06, 03:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

In this futile magazine race, we have data showing the IS 350 is currently faster than a MANUAL G35.

DEAL with it.

heh, i remember how ppl complained that IS350 is overweight... now with competitors updated to provide similar levels of performance and power, IS350 is lightest of the bunch.

And MPG shows what gem GR engine is, getting a lot better mpg.

it is tough luck that G35 will be faster than IS350, considering that IS is lighter and more powerful...
Old 08-23-06, 04:19 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The MT reported weight is different from what was reported previously. I'd wait until the official specs are out. MT also got the weight wrong for the IS350.

I think the complaints about the IS350's weight (I personally don't have a problem with it, I think it's fine) was based on its weight relative to how small the car is, especially inside. The G35 is substantially larger.
Old 08-23-06, 05:01 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thanks for the new wrinkle in the brain. Your explanation provides a good view.

Hopefully, there are more things to the IS350 and G35 than "power." I think we as consumers are more savvy than that...
I think most consumers are more savvy than that. Lets be honest- while the G35 and 3 series are very close competitors, where any edge may matter, the IS350 and G35 are different cars with different priorities. True, the IS is a sporting car, but its first mission is refinement, at which it's the best in its class. The G35 on the other hand, places the driving experience over refinement, and also tries to add value and practicality as well as traditional luxury to the mix.

I think that both the G and IS are excellent cars at what they do, but for people that switch i dont think its because one is overall better than the other. I think its because one is better for that particular person's needs than the other. Obviously this could be said even between the g35 and 3 series, where the two cars are similar... but with the IS and G its a lot more pronounced. jmho.
Old 08-23-06, 05:24 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

DEAL with it.

as mentioned earlier, see posts 27 and 24.

btw, 22,000 posts doesnt make a blanket statement any better.

you have no legitimate claim either-
you cannot compare tests between different cars, on different days under different conditions, with different drivers, to prove which of two cars that have never lined up against each other is faster.
Old 08-23-06, 05:46 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
as mentioned earlier, see posts 27 and 24.

btw, 22,000 posts doesnt make a blanket statement any better.

you have no legitimate claim either-
you cannot compare tests between different cars, on different days under different conditions, with different drivers, to prove which of two cars that have never lined up against each other is faster.
Exactly what I was about to say.
You can't pick times from different publications and then choose the fastest ones and pit it against the one and only time we have for the G35.

I think I may be jumping ship over the Infiniti.
The availability of a manual in the 3.5 engine and good initial reviews are swaying me. I just need a test drive now.
Is g35driver the most active forum?
Old 08-23-06, 06:28 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Before saying which car is faster, lets wait for more comparos. They should have included the IS350. I have no idea why they wouldnt...maybe no manual transmission. Im curious to see who wins between the g35 and IS
Old 08-23-06, 06:36 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Not to offend any of you but from reading all this...i am came up with one thing...
WHO CARES?!?!?! ARE YOU REALLY GOIGN TO BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIFFERNECES LIKE .2-.3?!?! in 0-60 time between thes3 3 cars?? Do you think people who are goign to dish out 35K ae really goign to be like..o wow the 0-60 time is .2 faste r than this..etc.... loll probably not. And if they are goign to use that and factor that in, they are a bunch of monkeys imho.

Drive the 330i, G35 and IS350...all three are superb cars. However from my personal experience the 330i clearly handles amazingly well and is the most responsive. But who cares what I like as a performer... buy whichever one is the best performer for you. Dont nitpick one car and say it is faster than this..even if it is fact - so what? Its nimicule enough to where you wont even experience the difference.

lol cheers
Old 08-23-06, 07:57 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Exactly what I was about to say.
You can't pick times from different publications and then choose the fastest ones and pit it against the one and only time we have for the G35.

I think I may be jumping ship over the Infiniti.
The availability of a manual in the 3.5 engine and good initial reviews are swaying me. I just need a test drive now.
Is g35driver the most active forum?
yeah like i said above in post #37 the two cars are for different people...
even if the G is slower in a line -which is possible, the 2gr-fse is outstanding- the G will feel different. the car is more oriented toward people that want to feel like the mechanics of driving. its not for everyone. likewise the IS is on the other end of the spectrum and is only for people who put a premium on refinement and luxury. both are exceptional at what they do...

anyway yes g35driver is the most active g forum although it may not be the best. freshalloy.com is another good forum but tends to be more mature. it is smaller however and caters to a slightly different crowd.
Old 08-23-06, 08:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
Let's face it, the new 335i is rated at 29 mpg on the highway and will beat both these cars in acceleration, handling etc. Nothing beats BMW.
too bad its like 16-17 city and 10k+ over a G35
Old 08-23-06, 10:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Comparing G35 and IS350 is a stretch in some ways.

G35 sedan has much more room, has a 6MT option, and the IS350 has the hotter engine and nicer interior. They're pretty different vehicles.

Oh and the 3 series is still the best drive experience but has a crap interior.

So once again we see the performance/luxury trade-off. I'd say it's:

IS350 <--- G35 ---> 3 series
Old 08-23-06, 10:38 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So once again we see the performance/luxury trade-off. I'd say it's:

IS350 <--- G35 ---> 3 series
I AGREE

Luxury Sport Sedan
IS 350

In the middle
G35

Sport Luxury Sedan
3 Series

Quick Reply: 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)