Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 12:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
as mentioned earlier, see posts 27 and 24.

btw, 22,000 posts doesnt make a blanket statement any better.

you have no legitimate claim either-
you cannot compare tests between different cars, on different days under different conditions, with different drivers, to prove which of two cars that have never lined up against each other is faster.
who r u?

Old 08-24-06, 12:55 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive

See what I mean? Looks like *****, buttons and things are just pasted on to a background. The instrument cluster looks like a ripoff from Honda and whats up with the orange center screen between the tach and the speedo? Where is the color coordination?
Honda rip off? Honda ripped off the VW Jetta's indiglo color screen way before Infinity.

#'s are almost idential to the Sky Redline but more $$ (then again GM quality isn't as good as Infinity)
Old 08-24-06, 02:47 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrock65
The MT reported weight is different from what was reported previously. I'd wait until the official specs are out. MT also got the weight wrong for the IS350.

I think the complaints about the IS350's weight (I personally don't have a problem with it, I think it's fine) was based on its weight relative to how small the car is, especially inside. The G35 is substantially larger.
Yes, good point. Ppl seem to be forgetting that the G35 is like ES size.
Old 08-24-06, 03:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Comparing G35 and IS350 is a stretch in some ways.

G35 sedan has much more room, has a 6MT option, and the IS350 has the hotter engine and nicer interior. They're pretty different vehicles.

Oh and the 3 series is still the best drive experience but has a crap interior.

So once again we see the performance/luxury trade-off. I'd say it's:

IS350 <--- G35 ---> 3 series
wait, now G35 and IS350 cant be compared? How is that?
Every G35 buyer checks IS350. Fact that IS350 has less space is advantage for G35, same as IS350 having other advantages, but they are same class of vehicles and are compared as such.

based on that, comparing every car is an stretch... since 335i is very different than IS350, and G35 is different than both.Lets not even mention other competitors... So every car would be class into itself :-).
Old 08-24-06, 05:31 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phillip31
I AGREE

Luxury Sport Sedan
IS 350

In the middle
G35

Sport Luxury Sedan
3 Series
I would have to disagree with this, an Infiniti interior is not more luxurious than a 3 series. It's still just a 4 door 350Z with a nicer interior...its the K-Mart of the small lux sedan market.
Old 08-24-06, 09:42 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CHIS350
I would have to disagree with this, an Infiniti interior is not more luxurious than a 3 series. It's still just a 4 door 350Z with a nicer interior...its the K-Mart of the small lux sedan market.
I disagree. Based on pics, I'd take the 2007 G35 interior any day of the week over the 330i interior. 330i interior is uninspiring, generic and feels outdated.

In fact, I'd take the standard 2007 G35 interior (it comes with the screen) over the standard IS350 interior (no screen, no wood).

I haven't been in the G35 to make a judgment as to the quality of materials, but it looks okay from the pics.

Last edited by jrock65; 08-24-06 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 10:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe not "luxurious" in quality, but definately "more luxurious" in design...
Old 08-25-06, 10:49 AM
Griffey222
Rookie

I have to say, the more I read about the G, the more difficult this decision is going to be. I LOVE the IS...But for about the same $ as an IS250, you can get a well equiped G35...The new interior is nice...In fact, check out this image of the interior with wood...
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)-120_2076.jpg  
Old 08-25-06, 01:09 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

You just sound like an ignorant infiniti hater. How can you even judge if the new g35 has a crappy interior if its not even out yet? Get over yourself
Old 08-25-06, 01:18 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

If the rosewood in the new G is anything like the M it'll be some of the better wood trim on the market. I'm not really a wood trim guy, but I can understand the appeal.
Old 08-25-06, 01:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I scanned the posts here and the MT article yesterday. With the exception of a few posts, this is just about what you always seem to get when people discuss cars that they have no intention of laying out their hard earned money for. People will go drive these cars and decide which one they want and while I might like some aspects of bimmer handling, they have also gotten a lot firmer over the years and no, I don't find that very thrilling anymore. I also dislike their seats, a lot, and don't think that popping 2K for some seat package to get something comfortable makes any sense. But with the vast majority of the posts debating this or that trivia on 0-60 times, no one really focused on what I came away from the article with. MT said it was a dead heat but gave the nod to the bimmer. So did the bimmer clearly wallop the G? No, it didn't. And MT made some specious argument about how you really could order a stripper 330 and get it close to the G with a few options but the two in the comparo had the bavarian eight or ten thousand dollars more, as I recall. I know this doesn't make any difference when you are defending the latest 3FGr14-XYL56P3 motor in somebody's model to the competition but to a lot of people, this makes a big difference. MT made the comment that, as usually happens when comparing any german car to any japanese car, that the real comparo would have been to the 325. They predicted that because the chassis was the same it would still win, I am not so sure as the stoplight performance weakness would be even more noticeable in the 325. If I were interested, I would drive all of them and I would take into account price and what is important to me and then decide which one to get. I sure wouldn't base anything on magazine 0-60 times.
Old 08-25-06, 02:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
"has to rev higher" is a design choice, not requirement. revving higher is a benefit over other engines of the same size, assuming all else is equal. (you could argue that the IS engine is part DI but then the G engine breathes better) anyway, not only does revving higher give you the opportunity to make more power, but if you can control the power curve, horsepower will be pretty flat near the top. that means you have a wide and strong powerband. due to the importance of the area under the curve, this gives you an advantage when racing. as far as the IS's torque advantage goes, that won't really matter- horsepower in the powerband matters not low end torque. the torque will however, make the car feel more responsive on the street.

to know which car is really faster we'll definitely need to a direct comparison, but at this point anyone honestly looking at this data has to admit that it will be very close.
Sure it's a design choice, but I think in this case it *was* a requirement for Nissan engineers to get increased power from the VQ. Despite Nissan saying the engine is "80% all-new", I think it fundamentally remains of similar design to the previous VQ. Compare this with Toyota's old MZ engine, and the newer from-scratch GR series V6 engines. There is a huge boost in power, whereas the old VQ35DE compared to the new VQ35HR ... there don't seem to be many dramatic differences, which would lead one to assume that the engine is not that dramatically different.

Nissan engineers could have added NeoDI to the VQ35HR, but they didn't. So in hindsight, the high rev design "choice" seems like a requirement in order to make over 300HP.

Torque in general, in particular low-end torque, helps a lot with launches, not to mention mid-range speed.

Because the VQ35HR must rev quite high, the torque band on the power curve is stretched thinner, and the engine must rev higher in order to achieve peak torque.

Also, revving higher, by design leads to lower fuel economy, because engine efficiency decreases as you rev higher.

If you've never seen the IS350's power band, it has a strong HP curve all the way up to redline, and a wide flat torque curve as well ... in fact, torque remains strong from the low end, all the way up to 6000 RPM. Ward's themselves quote the 2GR-FSE as the current standard to beat when it comes to premium high output V6 engines.

The high rev design allows Nissan to extract more power out of the VQ35HR, but some sacrifices must be made. The 2GR-FSE, thanks to it's complex injection system, and state of the art V6 design allows it to be one big contradiction, that makes very little compromises.

Personally, I do not believe such a high rev engine should be put into a luxury car, unless it's some special sport version. Apart from fuel economy, and power, I believe the VQ35HR also won't be as smooth or refined as the 2GR-FSE.
Old 08-25-06, 02:19 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
while I might like some aspects of bimmer handling, they have also gotten a lot firmer over the years and no, I don't find that very thrilling anymore. I also dislike their seats, a lot, and don't think that popping 2K for some seat package to get something comfortable makes any sense.
Just want to touch on something here. I much prefer the feel of a soft luxurious ride, but I am realizing the benefits of a tight or sporty ride as some might call it. Its not just about carving canyons or the 'fun factor' of a stiff ride, its the 'safety' aspect. If u look @ the research you will find that cars that have a stiifer, tighter/ sport-oriented suspension are much better when it comes to accident avoidance.. the difference can be life and death. So the point is do I want a nice smooth ride or do I want something that has BETTER potential at saving my life.. I'll choose life and this will influence my future car buying purchases as it has not in the past.
Old 08-25-06, 02:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by insider
Let's face it, the new 335i is rated at 29 mpg on the highway and will beat both these cars in acceleration, handling etc. Nothing beats BMW.
Just curious, are you a big BMW fan, who's just on ClubLexus to mock the competition?
Old 08-25-06, 02:47 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Just so that we're clear, there is a difference between allowing you to rev high and having to rev high to make peak hp.

G35: 306 hp at 6800 rpm. 7500 rpm redline.

IS350: 306 hp at 6400 rpm. 6600 rpm redline.

So while the G35 makes peak hp at a higher rpm than the IS350, the difference is not as large as the redline would have you believe.

In other words, you don't HAVE to rev up all the way to make peak hp in the G35. But the higher rev limiter is there if you want to have a little fun.

Quick Reply: 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)