Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 05:10 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Sure it's a design choice, but I think in this case it *was* a requirement for Nissan engineers to get increased power from the VQ. Despite Nissan saying the engine is "80% all-new", I think it fundamentally remains of similar design to the previous VQ. Compare this with Toyota's old MZ engine, and the newer from-scratch GR series V6 engines. There is a huge boost in power, whereas the old VQ35DE compared to the new VQ35HR ... there don't seem to be many dramatic differences, which would lead one to assume that the engine is not that dramatically different.

Nissan engineers could have added NeoDI to the VQ35HR, but they didn't. So in hindsight, the high rev design "choice" seems like a requirement in order to make over 300HP.

Torque in general, in particular low-end torque, helps a lot with launches, not to mention mid-range speed.

Because the VQ35HR must rev quite high, the torque band on the power curve is stretched thinner, and the engine must rev higher in order to achieve peak torque.

Also, revving higher, by design leads to lower fuel economy, because engine efficiency decreases as you rev higher.

If you've never seen the IS350's power band, it has a strong HP curve all the way up to redline, and a wide flat torque curve as well ... in fact, torque remains strong from the low end, all the way up to 6000 RPM. Ward's themselves quote the 2GR-FSE as the current standard to beat when it comes to premium high output V6 engines.

The high rev design allows Nissan to extract more power out of the VQ35HR, but some sacrifices must be made. The 2GR-FSE, thanks to it's complex injection system, and state of the art V6 design allows it to be one big contradiction, that makes very little compromises.

Personally, I do not believe such a high rev engine should be put into a luxury car, unless it's some special sport version. Apart from fuel economy, and power, I believe the VQ35HR also won't be as smooth or refined as the 2GR-FSE.
I see your points but you have to look at it from Nissan's perspective.
The VQ35 is the result of evolution. It isn't very often that they build a totally new VQ. They may change a lot of components but design wise, the engine evolves slowly. That's not to say changes are insignificant. Nissan changes internals every other year to fall in line with where they want the engine to go. Lets be clear about one thing: dual symmetrical intakes and exhuast and a new block, with new internals are not insignificant changes. Just because they didnt use DI or change displacement doesn't mean the engien is essentially the same.

Having said all of that, I don't think anyone can say the VQ is the weakest point of any car that its installed in.

Think about that. It means their engineering efforts need to be spent elsewhere. Nissan (which I'll use in place of infiniti) receives many complains about their cars, like any other company. In the case of the G35 for example, while the VQ wasnt the weakest link, they did receive a lot of complaints that the engine seemed to run out of breath quickly. Oddly enough it seemed that most people (particularly enthusiasts) were willing to sacrifice engine torque on the low end, for more power on the top end. Nissan responded with the rev-up engine. The new VQ35HR makes similar torque as the nonrevup VQ35, only a little higher in the rpm range. Not a bad compromise imo, considering torque down there doesnt make your car fast. Horsepower does. Any driving enthusiast who wouldn't trade a couple lbft peak torque, and a few hundred rpm change in where that torque comes... for 25+hp at peak is either ignorant or lying to themselves.

In terms of response, I don't think anyone can say that a VQ doesn't give enough torque for daily driving. The new engine, despite the shift in power and higher revs vs its Lexus counterpart, makes similar torque. Lets face it: the new VQ is not going to make a G feel like a S2000. There will be enough torque.

As far as their design options and DI go, they could have gone other ways, so revving wasn't a requirement. The VQ25 is (and has been) direct injection. They could have done that. They could have also done the breathing work without stretching the powerband. Nismo builds engines that are over 340hp, with new heads and internals for instance. Matter of fact, enthusiasts in the G/Z community are building their cars for over 320hp with no head/internal work (unchanged rev range). They very obviously didn't have to rev the engine. Instead however, they chose to respond to what customers wanted. The new engine provides a lot more power than the original VQ, without 'running out of breath' without a major sacrifice in torque. The new engine isn't going to be tuned to the limit of its life either. People are making over 330hp (crank hp) on the original VQ35. This new engine, with improved variable timing, better airflow, better cooling and better rigidity will likely yield better results for not only NA tuning, but also FI........

..which brings me to another point: thave another car coming 10 months after the release of the VQ35HR that will essentially require the VQ35HR to be setup for very-high power/endurance racing. The current setup with the VQ35HR is also likely to be a stepping stone toward that end...
Old 08-26-06, 05:12 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by picus
If the rosewood in the new G is anything like the M it'll be some of the better wood trim on the market. I'm not really a wood trim guy, but I can understand the appeal.
imo lexus materials cant be beat, but yes the M wood is top notch, esp as far as the matte look goes.
Old 08-26-06, 05:19 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You're only telling half the story:

IS350: 277 lb-ft @ 4800 RPM
G35: 268 lb -ft @ 5200 RPM

We've already seen the IS350's torque curve, and 90% of the torque is already available at 2000 RPM.

5200 RPM for peak torque, on paper, looks like a Honda engine. I won't jump to conclusions, but I doubt that the VQ35HR will have a flat torque curve beginning from 2000 RPM.

Both peak torque and peak HP are reached at higher revs for the G35 compared to the IS350, so my point still stands that the engine is being stretched. That's also not mentioning the fact that the G35 has less torque, which no doubt was a sacrifice made in order to reach that increased HP.

Sure, if you want to have a little fun, that's what the G35's high redline is for, and it further cements the G35 as being mainly about sport, and less so about luxury.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the G35 has a freer-flowing exhaust for maximum performance, compared with the IS350's restrictive exhaust, which a lot of people say restricts power by about 20HP.

I can't wait to see the dynos of the VQ35HR. It will be interesting to see how much power it puts down on the ground, and if the 2GR-FSE is actually underrated.
The nonrevup VQ in the 350Z makes about as much torque as the E46 M3.

Torque is not what will win races, and Nissan is building the engine to perform. In any case, 268lbft is Honda like??? WTF

You are correct that the VQ is being built to perform and that the G is more oriented toward sport than the IS. I think that's the bottom line. I don't think its fair to say the engine's performance is being stretched thin though: The new engine is allegedly stronger and more free flowing than the last.
Old 08-26-06, 05:22 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe funny thing is we are arguing and 95% of these cars won't even be pushed how we are talking, not just the G35 but IS and 3......
Most will be autos and in the G35s case, b/c its a great value.

And 8-10% going to fleet sales.

The new G35 is a logical and good improvement over the previous model.

Though not sure why Infiniti changed the car in what 4 years? Luxury car companies don't make full changes that quick.

I think for the price, like the TL, value will continue to be a huge attraction. You are getting 306hp for 325 and IS 250 money if power and a larger size car and a good price is high on your list. That is a very, very powerful arguement.
It's actually 5+ years. But in any event this G was built at a time where Nissan was going broke. IMO that makes the car even more impressive. But then again, maybe the threat of death is what it takes to get a company to do something like that. In any case, it was really the new management. In reality, one of NIssan's biggest problems is that they're actually too slow in updating their line. Regarding the TL I agree. The market does too- look at their sales #s
Old 08-26-06, 05:24 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
It is a good value, but the model's sales will suffer by not having a more efficient alternative (IS250 competitor). Mpg is a big selling point these days, and although all chatter on the forums is about the IS350, the IS250 is the volume seller.

I'm hoping they bring out a G25. There made a VQ25HR, no doubt to go into the 2007 Skyline 2.5. It wouldn't be that big a hassle to bring that car here.

A G25 will also weigh less and have better front/rear weight distribution, which would make it more nimble.
The Infiniti brand needs to go up, not down. A sub $30k car is not what they need. Maybe if the car was a Nissan that would be a good idea, but for US marketing I don't think so. Anyway they've always had the skyline 250 in japan with the vq25.. so I doubt they'll bring it here.
Old 08-26-06, 05:27 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree with Picus here. People don't want to drop major coin on a car and the got damn car changes ever 4 years. Hell we have seen some very long cycles SL damn near 20 years once, the 911, the GS was 8 years, the LS is usually 6, the ES keeps a steady 5 year cycle...

You want constant change, that is what Hondas, Toyotas and Kias are for....
as i commented before this wasnt a 4yr change. its been longer than that. in any case i dont think constant change is a bad thing. nissan isnt redoing everything from scratch... only making improvements where they need to be made, and very carefully. the new cars look very similar to the last, for instance.. and the g coupe isnt going to be turned ugly and obsolete overnight.. so this isnt like other car brands where they change everything. in fact, im sure many people from a distance may confuse the new g coupe from the old.
Old 08-26-06, 10:12 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
I think you can take it for granted that just about everyone here is oriented more to the performance side of the equation. When I bought my GS4 I thought it was one of the most ill handling highway cars ever. A set of bilsteins cured it but made it decidedly firm. When I put the same shocks on my wife's GS3, it felt like a buckboard. You are not in a safe or good handling car when you are bouncing off the headliner, as you would in a race car. I have owned many bimmers and could go back but I find their more recent cars to not just have safe handling but a downright rough ride. When you combine it with rock hard seats, it is not the kind of place I want to spend much time. Having said that, about the only Lexus that could be in my future and the decision will come down to the improvements they may or may not have made to the suspension. I could care less whether the thing will parallel park itself once a year or whether the passenger side rear seat passenger can stretch out. Then again, there are still people buying Town Cars and not just to turn them into limos. My point is that there isn't one suspension type that is perfect for everyone. That's all. Nothing seems to iritate supporters of certain models than the fact that someone could drive one of that makers cars and not fall in love it. Heh, it happens. The magazines have a car for what, a couple of weeks? What makes a car enjoyable for a couple of weeks isn't necessarily what makes it enjoyable day in, day out, for many years.
Ronald, you're talking extremes here. I havent been in a stock modern day car that has a ride so stiff my head bounces off the headliner lol. Im all for modding a cars suspension to make it handle better but some people prefer not to risk of voiding the warranty on any parts plus you always lose the $ invested as you usually have to convert the car back to stock before selling it and then try to sell the parts on your own and if ur lucky get a 1/ 4 of your $ back on the parts... BUT all of these do not matter to some people, its all personal preference
Old 08-27-06, 09:57 AM
eddo1
Driver

Default The new infiniti G35

Just got the next issue of motortrend. Seems the new G35 has EXACTLY 306 hp and 268lb-ft of torque. 0-60 in 5.4 sec. Seems extremely close to the IS. They did a comparision to the BMW 330i and the the G35 came in second (like the IS). It's the "legendary" BMW feel that helped the BMW win. I don't really like the exterior of the new G35, the rear looks really bulbous and droopy. The interior of the G is also ..well...spartan and at the same time too many buttons cluttered around the nav area. Still LOVE my IS!! Wonder what happends when they compare the IS and the G35.
Old 08-27-06, 10:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont get what this "legendary feel" is, emotional or what, I didnt feel anything legendary test driving a 330 at taste of lexus
Old 08-27-06, 11:33 AM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Originally Posted by eddo1
It's the "legendary" BMW feel that helped the BMW win.
Must be referring to the reliability of ANY BMW. They are put together no better than what I put together floating in my toilet this morning... Granted, my opinion may be seriously biased based on my experiences owning a 745Li - notoriously the worst electrically problematic vehicle on the market today.

On a serious note, BMW's can handle. Yes, the 745Li was enormous, a "boat," to many out there... But it is a surprisingly very nimble boat - almost zero body roll in the turns. If you haven't test driven one, DON'T... You might be convinced to fork up the cash.

No doubt about it, BMW's can perform. Another thing they all have in common... Notice how they all smell exactly the same? Doesn't matter if you're in a 7, 5, or 3 series, they all have that distinct smell. Maybe that's the "legendary," aspect of the vehicle... the smell!
Old 08-27-06, 11:37 AM
menech
Lead Lap

sorta interesting that both the new G35 and the 335 are posting 0-60 5.2 to 5.4 times...seems like the 3 cars are now all about evenly matched, although from C&D it seems the 335 is unrated and actually faster than the advertized 0-60 times...
Old 08-27-06, 11:43 AM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Ah, the other thread is closed. I'll say it here.

NEVER, ever, EVER buy to own a BMW. If you ever consider it, lease it. Who gives a rat's a$$ about a warranty if it's in the shop every other week. Breakdowns = a whole lotta time = time you could use to earn more money = which means less money for you = more bills and more headaches. Therefore, BMW = a royal pain in the a$$ any way you look at it.

Lease BMW's. Never buy.

Now Toyota and Lexus? There's a reason there's an 00 4runner, an 04 LS430, and an 06 IS350 in my garage fully paid for. These things are almost bullet proof... Almost, but definitely close enough
Old 08-27-06, 11:59 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dont get what this "legendary feel" is, emotional or what, I didnt feel anything legendary test driving a 330 at taste of lexus
As the owner a 540i sport I understand the "legendary feel" thing. As far as handling and steering goes not many brands can compete. But reliable? NOT!
Sometimes I think the electronics and wiring are made of wet noodles.
Old 08-27-06, 12:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost all the mags give high ratings to any bimmer in a comparo. Either bimmers are really head and shoulders above the other brands or the mag testers are oin dope...or getting some payola.
I have never driven a bimmer. Rode in a few but never drove one. I have got to try one out.
Reliability issues would keep me from ever buying one but I must experience this driving heaven everyone is always talking about.
Old 08-27-06, 12:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by eddo1
Just got the next issue of motortrend. Seems the new G35 has EXACTLY 306 hp and 268lb-ft of torque. 0-60 in 5.4 sec. Seems extremely close to the IS. They did a comparision to the BMW 330i and the the G35 came in second (like the IS). It's the "legendary" BMW feel that helped the BMW win. I don't really like the exterior of the new G35, the rear looks really bulbous and droopy. The interior of the G is also ..well...spartan and at the same time too many buttons cluttered around the nav area. Still LOVE my IS!! Wonder what happends when they compare the IS and the G35.
Eddo, I merged your post with another on the same topic that has been under discussion for a couple of days already. Please put non-2IS car threads in the car chat forum, thanks.

Quick Reply: 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan thread (merged thread)