Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda to Recall Every RX8 Ever Made!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 02:20 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda to Recall Every RX8 Ever Made!

OWNED!

Mazda plans a voluntary recall of all 2004 and 2005 RX-8 sports cars along with some 2006s because of damage to the catalyst resulting from oil leaks in the RX-8's rotary engine.

Mazda is preparing to replace the engines in many of its top of the line sports cars as a result of the recall. Any engine that does not pass a specific vacuum test will be replaced according to Mazda.

Engines prone to failing the vacuum test are mostly in hot climates and use synthetic oils, according to the automaker.

Earlier this month Mazda, in an attempt to soothe intense dealer dissatisfaction with the RX-8 maintenance record, promised dealers that it would no count RX-8 owners' opinions in its internal customer-satisfaction scores.

Mazda dealers complained that problems with the RX-8 were unfairly lowering the Mazda customer-satisfaction results.

A video of the dealer complaints was leaked to a Mazda owners' web site and caused an immediate uproar.

In the video, a member of the Mazda National Dealer Advisory Council states, "Mazda is well aware of the negative impact on the scores caused by the RX-8 surveys. They agreed with us that the situation had to be changed. And so, effective July 1st, RX-8 will be continued to be included in the survey, but the scores will no longer be included in the results."

The engine recall is the latest in a series of problems for the RX-8. Mazda will also check each RX-8's battery and starter, which tend to fail in cold climates.

Mazda has already issued service bulletins on such trouble spots as squeaky brakes and engine flooding. Squeaky brakes on the RX-8 are the subject of three Technical Service Bulletins, according to owners. RX-8 owners have also repeatedly complained of engine flooding to failure.

Mazda executives promise to give the RX-8 "white glove treatment" to finally deal with the problems associated with the sports car.
The automaker has a remanufacturing plant in North Carolina that will rebuild faulty rotary engines and return them to service.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...da_recall.html
Old 08-24-06, 03:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, I almost bought one of these. It was down to the G35, 350z, GTO and RX8. Obviously, the G35 won out and I am happy with the choice. I thought the RX8 was very different. The weird front fender configuration. The 4 dour coupe thing. The rotary engine thing. It had plenty of leg room and looks good with a set of 19's. Too many people warned me against them so it was the first drossed off. Plus, my test drive revealed a severe lack of torque. That just wouldn't do.
Not too surprised it's having problems. The RX7 did also. A ton of problems.
Old 08-24-06, 03:44 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I saw this coming about a month ago. My friend is a master tech for a Mazda dealership and they have coming in by the droves!!! lol at Mazda
Old 08-24-06, 03:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the they actually never fix the problem.. problem with rotories...
Old 08-24-06, 03:49 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

the rx-7 was a time bomb... every 60k miles u need a new engine lol
Old 08-24-06, 04:32 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
the rx-7 was a time bomb... every 60k miles u need a new engine lol
and the old engine becomes a fish tank

Old 08-24-06, 05:03 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Its goin to cost them some money to recall all the RX8's
Old 08-24-06, 05:08 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Interesting... guy at work has one - had his computer replaced (had to be sent to San Diego for reprogramming) - but other than that the car has been flawless.
Old 08-24-06, 07:25 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminder that this is on all 2004-2005 and some 2006 not every RX-8 ever made. Unless of course they weren't made before 2004 but I thought the RX-8 was quite a bit older than 2 years.
Old 08-25-06, 07:44 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

no wonder i don't see 'em on the streets anymore
Old 08-25-06, 05:26 PM
LexFather

Its just a difficult engine (Rotary). Hell you need to put in a gallon of oil a week......

Not surprising...

Old 08-25-06, 06:05 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty bad news for Mazda.

There's a lot of buzz around the internet about the RX-8 having oil consumption problems, but this is contrary to most owners' experiences. Yes you need to add a little oil to the engine since it is desgined to burn a little oil.

I'm seriously considering trading my SC400 in for one, but the sound of a recall really makes me reconsider. If the engine dies under warranty, then you don't have anything to worry about, but I keep my cars for a while.

The idea of having engine failure past the standard 50K warranty mark makes me think the resale value of RX-8's will be worse than it already is.
Old 08-27-06, 09:33 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Great the RX7 reliability nightmare all over again. I remember back in the mid-90's we were getting our supercharged Millenia serviced and every bay of 10 at the old Mazda in the Escondido Auto Park had a RX7 on the lift, the mechanic said they were pure junk, LOL, right from a Mazda employee!
Old 08-27-06, 09:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a few RX-7's . Late 70's version which I rebuilt the motor myself. Also a late 80's Turbo II. When they run, they run very well, but similar to German car ownership, maintenance is a byproduct of RX ownership.
Old 08-27-06, 10:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
This is pretty bad news for Mazda.

There's a lot of buzz around the internet about the RX-8 having oil consumption problems, but this is contrary to most owners' experiences. Yes you need to add a little oil to the engine since it is desgined to burn a little oil.

I'm seriously considering trading my SC400 in for one, but the sound of a recall really makes me reconsider. If the engine dies under warranty, then you don't have anything to worry about, but I keep my cars for a while.

The idea of having engine failure past the standard 50K warranty mark makes me think the resale value of RX-8's will be worse than it already is.
i hope it is, then i can buy one and put a supercharged LS1 into it

Quick Reply: Mazda to Recall Every RX8 Ever Made!