Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-new Acura MDX released (UPDATE - More Reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 03:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stereo evaluation is amazing. A perfect 10!!! And Edmunds says it's even BETTER than the LS460's Mark Levinson and the S8's Bang & Olufsen if "judged purely on sound quality and clarity". And that's with just 10 speakers and from a brand name (Panasonic) not exactly known for the ultimate audio quality. Makes me wanna go to the Acura dealer and experience it myself NOW.
Old 11-15-06, 03:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yeesh. Well I guess it's expected. Acura wants to move upmarket and the easiest way is to raise the price. I wonder how far they'll go before people say "forget it, I'd rather buy a Lexus for that price"
LOL, a Lexus? I'm sorry, but what kind of Lexus can you buy for MDX price? The POS minivan RX350/400h? It doesn't hold a candle to the MDX. Or maybe the glorified 4runner? Well, it's a POS with suspension out of 18th centrury. I'm sorry, but Acura is doing the right thing, this new MDX, as well as the old one, is amazing, the new RL is light years better than the new GS. As soon as they drop a V8 into RL, im trading my GS for it.
Old 11-15-06, 03:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The stereo evaluation is amazing. A perfect 10!!! And Edmunds says it's even BETTER than the LS460's Mark Levinson and the S8's Bang & Olufsen if "judged purely on sound quality and clarity". And that's with just 10 speakers and from a brand name (Panasonic) not exactly known for the ultimate audio quality. Makes me wanna go to the Acura dealer and experience it myself NOW.
Overexaggeration.

It was definitely a good system, but IMO not nearly as good as the new ML. Seemed very comparable to the system in the TL.
Old 11-15-06, 05:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, a Lexus? I'm sorry, but what kind of Lexus can you buy for MDX price? The POS minivan RX350/400h? It doesn't hold a candle to the MDX. Or maybe the glorified 4runner? Well, it's a POS with suspension out of 18th centrury. I'm sorry, but Acura is doing the right thing, this new MDX, as well as the old one, is amazing, the new RL is light years better than the new GS. As soon as they drop a V8 into RL, im trading my GS for it.
with statements like these, accross various threads, i wonder how long it will take you to get banned...
Old 11-15-06, 05:48 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
MDX

RL
Old 11-16-06, 05:30 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Overexaggeration.

It was definitely a good system, but IMO not nearly as good as the new ML. Seemed very comparable to the system in the TL.
I do know the Bose in the RL blows my TL stereo away in sound clarity. I bet the ne MDX is much better.
Old 11-16-06, 08:11 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
if the Lexus GX is a glorified 4runner, then the MDX is a glorified Pilot.
Old 11-16-06, 08:45 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Or maybe the glorified 4runner? Well, it's a POS with suspension out of 18th centrury.
That POS suspension out of the 18th century is what makes the 4Runner a pretty respectable off-roader. Unlike the ultra-super-fancy-cool-high-tech car suspensions they put on the cute-utes like the RX, MDX, etc, that do poorly off-road, which leaves people scratching their heads, asking "what's the point?". I'll take that POS 18th century suspension any day of the week, and will rest easier knowing that I didn't buy the vehicle to match my cup of starbucks, designer cell phone, or set of $5000 golf clubs in the trunk.
Old 11-16-06, 10:00 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Yea but ever since the new body of the 4runnner, it can't compare to other cars in its class for off-road ability like the Xterra, and Jeeps. The 4runner was great before this last bodystyle change.

The MDX is build off the Honda Truck platform, not a minivan. It's a bit better off over the RX.
Old 11-16-06, 10:10 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Yea but ever since the new body of the 4runnner, it can't compare to other cars in its class for off-road ability like the Xterra, and Jeeps. The 4runner was great before this last bodystyle change.
Huh? The 4Runner shares platform with the GX470 and the FJ Cruiser, all three of which have won numerous offroading accolades and have always been rated much higher than the Xterra and Jeeps.
The MDX is build off the Honda Truck platform, not a minivan. It's a bit better off over the RX.
FYI Honda has no truck platform. The MDX shares platform with the Pilot and the Ridgeline, all of which are based on a unibody construction and are meant for light offroad use only.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-16-06 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 11:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Huh? The 4Runner shares platform with the GX470 and the FJ Cruiser, all three of which have won numerous offroading accolades and have always been rated much higher than the Xterra and Jeeps.
I don't see how the 4Runner would ever be rated higher than a Jeep in off-road ability. Not including, of course, the ridiculous Liberty and Compass.

FYI Honda has no truck platform. The MDX shares platform with the Pilot and the Ridgeline, all of which are based on a unibody construction and are meant for light offroad use only.
Correct. The Ridgeline was given a reinforced section of frame for the rearward 1/2 of the "truck", to allow for better in-bed weight handling, and also to provide something substantial to bolt the hitch to. But beyond that, I agree that it's very much light-duty.
Old 11-16-06, 11:59 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
I don't see how the 4Runner would ever be rated higher than a Jeep in off-road ability. Not including, of course, the ridiculous Liberty and Compass.
You're right. I was talking about the Liberty and Compass (and Grand Cherokee actually). The Wrangler of course is in a class by itself.
Old 11-16-06, 12:02 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I've owned a 2004 V8 4runner SE and I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee. No comparision. The 4runner is a body on frame design and the Jeep is a unibody. The 4runner that I owned was used on unimproved roads everyday. Not a rattle and the Xreas shocks handled anything that was thrown at them. It had a better "ride" on the rutted rocky unimproved roads then my Toyota 100 series Landcruiser. Now my LC had better ground clearance and nothing hanging down, so it would rock crawl better then the 4runner but the 4runner is built in the same factory as the GX470 which is the highest rated automotive plant for quality in the world. The MDX and these other "on-road" SUV's (station wagons) are fine for what they are made for, but if you want a SUV that is built to take it you should buy a 4runner, Landcruiser, GX470 or LX470. The rest are posers, or in the case of the Land Rover such low quality that it will cost way to much to keep them on the road. I've owned a 95 Landcruiser and a 99 Landcruiser and a 2004 4runner. Now if I just wanted a on road "SUV" I would look at a road burner
Old 11-16-06, 12:19 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Max707
I've owned a 2004 V8 4runner SE and I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee. No comparision.
No comparison in quality and ride on-road? Sure, maybe. But we weren't discussing JD Power reliability and initial quality rankings. We were discussing off-road capability.
Old 11-16-06, 12:32 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
No comparison in quality and ride on-road? Sure, maybe. But we weren't discussing JD Power reliability and initial quality rankings. We were discussing off-road capability.
So do you think that a Jeep Grand Cherokee is a better off road vehicle then the 2004 4runner? If you have ever done much off roading then you would know that one of the most important features of the vehicle you are driving is reliability, which has to do with the quality of the vehicle. Jeep makes a very unreliable and low quality vehicle.

Quick Reply: All-new Acura MDX released (UPDATE - More Reviews)