Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forecast: Six-Speed Automatics To Dominate U.S. Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 06:47 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forecast: Six-Speed Automatics To Dominate U.S. Market

Date posted: 08-26-2006

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. — General Motors and Ford are leading the shift to more fuel-efficient six-speed gearboxes, while three-quarters of new GM models will be equipped with the newer automatics by 2012, according to research firm CSM Worldwide.

Ford has previously said it plans to convert half its fleet to six-speed systems by 2015.

The latest powertrain forecast from CSM Worldwide predicts an aggressive ramp-up for the six-speeds, a revision of its forecast last year, when it anticipated a 40-percent penetration for six-speed gearboxes by 2010.

Chrysler Group, Toyota and Hyundai are also planning new six-speed automatics. CSM points out that virtually all four-speed manuals have been phased out.

North American output of continuously variable transmissions is expected to rise from about 1 percent of the market now to 5 percent by 2012.

Automakers, of course, are starting to offer seven- and eight-speed automatics, but these systems are typically produced in Europe and Japan. The first eight-speed is being introduced on the 2007 Lexus LS 460 sedan.

What this means to you: A move from a four- to a six-speed automatic can provide a big boost in fuel efficiency — generally between 4 and 8 percent.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116622
Old 08-26-06, 11:15 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big news to me is less the 6 speed adoption, that I think is non-news, but rather the pace with which CVT transmissions are being introduced. The LS600hL was a surprise on this front and several others such as the Maxima, Five Hundred, Caliber, Sentra also seemed to come out of left field.

How soon before we say, 8 speed transmission??!? Why? I have an infinite number of gears! Here's to them building up the TQ capabilities of the CVTs.
Old 08-26-06, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Big news to me is less the 6 speed adoption, that I think is non-news, but rather the pace with which CVT transmissions are being introduced. The LS600hL was a surprise on this front and several others such as the Maxima, Five Hundred, Caliber, Sentra also seemed to come out of left field.

How soon before we say, 8 speed transmission??!? Why? I have an infinite number of gears! Here's to them building up the TQ capabilities of the CVTs.
they both have their advantages - CVT can not handle a lot of torque, hence its application is usually in less powerful vehicles.

LS 600h uses CVT-like powersplitting device, but it is not true CVT. It has to use it though, so it is definetly not an suprise, for full hybrid only option is CVT.