Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus vs Mercedes & BMW Ownership Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 09:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

heard audi shortened their free maintainence program to cut costs
Old 08-29-06, 10:25 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
heard audi shortened their free maintainence program to cut costs
I believe it was eliminated for 2007 all together making BMW the only one to offer it now. Rumor has it they are going to push this fact big time to help with sales.
Old 09-21-06, 12:37 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had 4 Lexus and 2 MB's no BMW's. Lexus were less of a problem, and the dealers were very easy to work with. I never went with their service packages, only got what was required done and what I thought was needed, example transmission service at 30K miles, cooling system at 2 years or 30K miles and always bought separate from any package. Much cheaper. Never had a warranty problem with Lexus, but not many problems either. Same good news with MB on warranty service not a problem but a lot more warranty service. When I complained about something they would just replace it plus anything else that might be a problem. I just never wanted to own a MB when it wasn't covered by warranty. Never felt that way about Lexus.
Old 09-21-06, 01:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i can tell you that one of my wife's cousins drives MB since he got drivers license. He has been in shop 8th times so far. His best friend also drives MB, and has been in shop for 12 times so far.

They are now looking to buy new LS when it comes out :-).
As romnl said, it is importend to mentioned how long they had their license, and most importent what the reasons where for the car going back to the shop?

My Lexus that I bought brand new has been back to the dealership for 2 recalls, with my 3rd one scheduled for a few weeks. It also had 3 warranty repairs, and 2 TSIB performed. That is a total of 7 unscheduled times in the shop with the 8th one coming up. All of them were somewhat minor with only a few major pains, but it looks no different than the MB's mentioned
Old 09-21-06, 01:32 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
As romnl said, it is importend to mentioned how long they had their license, and most importent what the reasons where for the car going back to the shop?

My Lexus that I bought brand new has been back to the dealership for 2 recalls, with my 3rd one scheduled for a few weeks. It also had 3 warranty repairs, and 2 TSIB performed. That is a total of 7 unscheduled times in the shop with the 8th one coming up. All of them were somewhat minor with only a few major pains, but it looks no different than the MB's mentioned
What year and model Lexus do you have and what were the seven problems???
Old 09-21-06, 01:36 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our E320 has some annoying problems, one is that the front seat headrests goes up by it self and even when we tried to move it down, it would not.
The other problem is that even though the rear tail lamps work, the lamp indicator keeps on staying on.
We tried bringing it back to the MBZ dealer, their sorry warranty ran out, so they wanted us to spend a lot of money to fix these dumb problems that should not happen to start with.
Hone major problem was the engine crank pulley it began to wobble (at 5000 miles), so since it was under warranty at the time they took care of it.

The problems that I get with my `97 ES300: NONE, it has 140k miles on it and all I've done was maintenance.

To this day the car still has not dropped a single drop of oil or coolant. Toyota reliability at its finest!
Old 09-21-06, 01:54 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

-

Nobody can touch Lexus. PERIOD.
Old 09-21-06, 03:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
What year and model Lexus do you have and what were the seven problems???
04 RX330 bought in April 2003 built in Japan.
1) Emmisions related recall. I think they changed part of the exhausts manifolds (Not sure exactly what they did though)

2) Brake light switch failure recall. The brake light switch can fail causing no brake lights to activate even when you hit the brakes.

3) Drivers headlight changed (Condensation)

4) Passanger headlight changed a few weeks after drivers side (Condensation)

5) Rear power lift gate intermittently working. Swapped out lift gate ECU module,

6) Lastest transmission ECU flash update. Continuing problem with odd shifting patterns

7) Rear wiper arm TSIB fix. Rear wiper arm doesn't wipe widown very good at all. TSIB fix is to swap out wiper blade and/or replace arm. Still doesn't wipe good but no biggie as I hardly use it.

8) This one is scheduels since it is kind of minor for me. Recall on clip near acceleator panel that can come loose allowing the panel to interfere with accelerator opporation. (That is the 3rd actual official recall that I'm having done)

This also doesn't include the warped rotor TSIB that I could have had done but decided against since I'm running 20" rims and a dropped suspension. I didn't want to bother them with something I was going to replace with aftermarket rotors anyway. It also doesn't include the dash rattle TSIB that I also choose not to pursue due to it being minor in my car. Also the center console thumping issue that is a TSIB for transmission coolant hoose.

As I mentioned it is somewhat minor things but could still look as bad as some make out other manufacturers to be. The issued I've had are all very common issues on the RX. This post is just to show everything is relative as issues could be major or monir. My old E36 BMW had less service visits than my Lexus, but it had way more irritating minor issued that can drive yo crazy. It never left me stranded though.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-21-06 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 03:27 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
-

Nobody can touch Lexus. PERIOD.
Lexus is great but please.....
Old 09-22-06, 06:43 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GREED777
I have owned 2 E-Classes and a C43 AMG, all prior to switching over to Lexus. I had several problems with the MB's all before the 75K mark. I appreciate the MB's design and bulletproof tank-like features, and the AMG was a true performance machine, but in the end I had to go with Lexus due to reliability. I have had no problems whatsoever with my GS or ES. Another member and I were just talking about this recently, basically trying to figure out wheter it's better to buy a AMG or M series vehicle that already comes performance equipped, but deal with the issues or by a Lexus and create a performance equipped vehicle. He was trying to justify the amount of $$$ he had spent on his GS + inital purchase price, compared to just buying on of the others and throwing some BASIC mods on them. We debated for a while and still never came to a final conclusion. What do you think ??
I have a modded GS with everything you can put on it except FI. I love my GS but wasnt getting the gains I was looking for. Went out and got a CL 55 and could not be happier. This is my 5th MB and never really had any major issues. Dont get me wrong my favorite is the GS but the CL performance is impressive.

BUT If I had to choose one or the other well then hands down the GS. Its all around package for the $ is second to none.....
Old 09-22-06, 07:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had my Gs400 for 6 years now. Just purchased a BMW x3 this week. The sales experience is 1st rate, on par with Lexus. I love their free scheduled maintainence program 4/50k which Lexus does not even offer. The first service according to the dealer is 15k. The car is running on synthetic oil from the factory compared to dino oil from Lexus, which is great. Fit and finish are first rate. I am very pleased with the purchase so far. Time will tell how it holds up compared to the GS.
Old 09-22-06, 08:03 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Your dealer lied to you. BMW's have FSS which is flexible service schedule or whatever.

Your first service comes when your bars when you start up the car are yellow/red.

http://www.gms.cc/maintenance.htm
http://www.motorwerksbmw.com/BMW-Maintenance.aspx

Last edited by vraa; 09-22-06 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 08:08 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

I love my bimmers for their performance and handling(even before I supercharged both of them). I found them very reliable. Preventive maintenance is the key but it's not cheap. I love my Lexus for it's luxury and comfort. Don't know about maintenance yet since she's only got 10K. I guess I'm getting old LOL! 40yrs young!
Old 09-22-06, 08:17 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mvallido
I love my bimmers for their performance and handling(even before I supercharged both of them). I found them very reliable. Preventive maintenance is the key but it's not cheap. I love my Lexus for it's luxury and comfort. Don't know about maintenance yet since she's only got 10K. I guess I'm getting old LOL! 40yrs young!
Yeah buddy, you're more than twice my age

To me the LS430 would be the ultimate performance sedan if the air suspension in sport mode would make it at least 5x stiffer. I'm thinking at least X5 4.4i stiffness. That way you could have the cushy ride, or just push a button and have a stiffer, sportier ride that you could recognize at least. I'd prefer the stiffness of the M3.

Also, the engine needs to be really powered up and the wheels widened. Currently I believe it runs 225 all around, bump that up to 255f and 285r and add another 200lb-ft torque and we're doing well.

I love how the LS430 can throttle oversteer in the current form.

If Lexus could do that, there would be no reason to buy a BMW except to say you're an arrogant ***** with no sense and too much money (but not enough to buy a Mercedes, and then not enough to get a Ferrari).
Old 09-22-06, 09:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Your dealer lied to you. BMW's have FSS which is flexible service schedule or whatever.

Your first service comes when your bars when you start up the car are yellow/red.

http://www.gms.cc/maintenance.htm
http://www.motorwerksbmw.com/BMW-Maintenance.aspx
The dealer did say that the on-board computer would let me know when the car needs service. It is all contingent on my driving style. 15k for oill change I would never do.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs Mercedes & BMW Ownership Experiences