Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus sales in Japan still not up to expectations

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 05:48 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Future RX being sold as Lexus will help greatly with numbers too.

I am not sure if that would be a good idea to boost sales figures for the Japan market, at least not for the short run.

Currently, approx. 70% of all the RX/Harrier models that are sold in Asia are Toyota Harriers.

There are also 2WD and 2.4L Harrier models that sell successfully.

In HK, the parallel imported 3.x L 4WD Harrier is approx US$40K, while a Lexus RX3xx will approx US$60K, so there is a huge price difference!!!

Note that these parallel imported Harriers were bought from Japanese dealers, so these sales figures are included in the overall Japan sales figures.
Old 09-06-06, 11:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thing is that there are several other Toyota's that are based on GS sedan, other than GS itself.

Toyota Crown series cars and Mark X sell more than MB, BMW and Audi all together in Japan, and are based on GS platform and share same engines.

Not only that, but they are made for Japan market, hence are more suitable than IS, GS and SC that are made for USA mostly.

I would think Lexus's biggest competition are actually luxury JDM Toyota's. Heck, Crown Royal has 4.3 V8 Engine with AWD drive, heads up display and night view (none of which GS has).
excellent point there indeed. with the HUGE lineup toyota has over there in japan, lexus is indeed competing with its brother. i think toyota might need to sit back and look at the whole market and picture and see what's to keep and what's to "drop"?
Old 09-07-06, 06:54 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with what you said Mark X is a hot car but needs to be made cheaer and sportier to reduce its appeal to luxury car buyers also the crown comes in three series maybe they need to drop the Majesta model. Also drop the brevis and the progres these car take sales away from IS and GS.