Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Comparo: Santa Fe, Mazda CX-7, Rav-4

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 01:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Edmunds Comparo: Santa Fe, Mazda CX-7, Rav-4

It's getting hard to pin an SUV badge on the vehicles occupying most of the attention of American buyers these days. It used to be easy when all SUVs were modified body-on-frame pickup trucks with adventurous, outdoorsy names like Tahoe, Expedition and Durango. So what the heck does X5, FX45, CX-7 or RAV4 say?

We've gathered three such vehicles for this comparison: the all-new 2006 Toyota RAV4, the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and the 2007 Mazda CX-7. It'd be uncomplicated to call these three "mini SUVs," but when they're loosely based on midsize sedans Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata and Mazda 6, it'd be more correct to call them midsize crossovers.

Product planners and marketers are scrambling to come up with ever more specific categories, names and features for what many people, Inside Line included, have simply resigned themselves to calling "crossovers." Call them what you will — recreational activity vehicles, urban activity vehicles, sport activity vehicles — they're all based on the idea that a responsibly sized unit-body car is a better platform on which to build a vehicle for urban buyers who go to work five days a week, but who also aspire to be an active bunch that occasionally goes places and does things where all-wheel-drive traction and added ground clearance will come in handy.

Within this segment, the specific attitude and attributes of a vehicle boil down to sport, luxury, style, capability or some combination thereof. This comparison brings together the RAV4 Sport AWD, Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD and the Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring AWD. Each possesses all-weather all-wheel drive, a peppy engine, clever features and comparably affordable pricing hovering around $30,000 in as-tested configurations.

Testing
We lived with these three vehicles for two weeks: driving them to and from work in stop-and-go freeway traffic as well as loading them up for the weekend with car seats and family gear. Then, we subjected each participant to our normal battery of instrumented track testing.

Finally, as a test to see if each one could fulfill the promise of a minimum of off-highway use, we followed an 18.5-mile route (37 miles roundtrip) from a paved road to a barely discernible rock-strewn trail arriving at a shady campground above 6,000 feet elevation. This scenic mountain drive is rated "easy" in several off-road guides.

The moving target
Toyota takes credit for pioneering the car-based crossover with its RAV4, introduced a decade ago. Fair enough. Over the years, the amiable RAV4 has earned respect and sales success while it has increased in size and capability. For 2006, it's newly available with a sophisticated and powerful 3.5-liter V6.

Our tester combines this fresh engine and a revised "Sport" grade with its model-specific equipment and styling, plus automatically adjusting all-wheel drive. The RAV4 has come a long way from its cute and quirky beginnings and if you haven't driven one recently, you'd be shocked at how grown up it has become.

That's a Hyundai?
Hyundai joins the fray with a completely (and thankfully) redesigned and reengineered Santa Fe for 2007. Gone is the frumpy-faced styling and pre-dented plastic side cladding. The reinvented Santa Fe also finds some much needed motivation with a new 3.3-liter V6. And as is the Hyundai way, our Limited AWD tester was loaded with standard equipment and an impressive warranty. Where the RAV4 puts emphasis on sport, the Santa Fe follows a more luxurious path from the way it drives to its interior amenities.

A novel approach
Mazda announced there will be no Ford Escape-doppelgänger Tribute for the 2007-model year, taking a year off until the '08 model Tribute debuts, and frankly we don't mind a bit. In its place, the slightly more expensive but far more interesting CX-7 comes out swinging with an all-new rakish design and innovative driveline.

Resisting the temptation to wedge a V6 under its hood, Mazda instead looked to the turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine and AWD making news and earning accolades in the Mazdaspeed 6 sedan. You might criticize the CX-7 for being neither fish nor foul, but this identity crisis mirrors what we believe the public is now seeking — whether you realize it or not.

The artful dodger
As we discovered, each of these vehicles excels in a specific category or two, but one follows the straightest path that we believe is the shortest distance between what you need from an SUV and what you want in a car. In other words, the Mazda CX-7 more artfully and more repeatedly hits that sweet spot at the intersection of essential and aspirational qualities. More than a jambalaya with some of this and some of that, the CX-7 effectively crosses over categories with the expert agility seen from very few vehicles.
Old 08-29-06, 01:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

3rd Place

Vehicle Tested:
2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $28,780

What Works:
Fresh exterior design finally joins the SUV mainstream, a powerful V6 also breathes life into Hyundai's competitor and an upscale and upsized interior is an unexpected bonus.

What Needs Work:
Trucky-feeling chassis and steering can't compete in a sportier and more sophisticated field.

Bottom Line:

While you can't argue with this price, those features or that warranty, the Hyundai might still feel a little outclassed in this cutthroat crossover category.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=101568
Old 08-29-06, 01:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

2nd Place

Vehicle Tested:
2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $28,174

What Works:
High-output V6 makes it quicker than many sport sedans, electric-assist power steering rack isolates potholes (and everything else) from the driver, usefully low cargo lift-over height.

What Needs Work:
Electric-assist steering also erases any feel from an otherwise sporty experience, the engine overpowers the chassis, the cargo bay's barn door swings open to block the curb.

Bottom Line:
True, the V6 Sport model is fast and inexpensive, but it's also a bit stripped-down and easy to add several thousand dollars in "extras."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=101567
Old 08-29-06, 01:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

1st Place

Vehicle Tested:
2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $30,145 Price It!!

What Works:
Attractive exterior styling and proportions, anti-establishment turbocharged four-cylinder engine (not a V6), sport sedan ride and handling.

What Needs Work:
Interior is a little dark and dour, rear accommodations are comfortable but lacking features, below-expected fuel economy with premium fuel recommendation.

Bottom Line:
It takes a dark horse like Mazda to reconsider the crossover's mission and break out of the SUV mold with the CX-7. It's more fun and more useful than you might imagine.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=101565
Old 08-29-06, 01:59 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this has been discussed before, but doesn't anyone here have a problem with the Rav4 - the cutsie, Hello Kitty-mobile of compact SUVs - using essentially the same power as the RX, IS and GS 350s? And I hadn't seen a picture of the Rav4's interior until now ... holy cow that is frumpy. Hey Toyota, can I get a little more economy in my $30k Hello Kitty hauler please? And maybe throw in a rattle or transmission failure for good measure.

CX-7 > Santa Fe > Rav4

That is all.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-29-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Maybe this has been discussed before, but doesn't anyone here have a problem with the Rav4 - the cutsie, Hello Kitty-mobile of compact SUVs - using essentially the same power as the RX, IS and GS 350s? And I hadn't seen a picture of the Rav4's interior until now ... holy cow that is frumpy. Hey Toyota, can I get a little more economy in my $30k Hello Kitty hauler please? And maybe throw in a rattle or transmission failure for good measure.

CX-7 > Santa Fe > Rav4

That is all.

M.
how do you mean get more economy? You have 4cly option. And V6 got 4 MPG better than CX7 - around 30% better.
Old 08-29-06, 03:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

fyi, in Motortrend, Rav4 Limited beat CX7 but lost to RDX in 3-way... nice.
Old 08-29-06, 03:38 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
how do you mean get more economy? You have 4cly option. And V6 got 4 MPG better than CX7 - around 30% better.
Whoops, I should have been clearer. By "economy" I meant "use cheaper materials" and "hire cheaper designers" ... and by that I mean the new Rav4 interior looks 20 years old.

Nobody said the 3.5 wasn't good ... that's why it's in the RX, IS, and GS ... but why's it in the Rav4 again?

As for the MotorTrend comparison, I'd probably be impressed with the IS350 ... I MEAN Rav4's acceleration too.

And just so you don't get too upset about my comments, I'm just having fun here. I think tossing the 3.5 in the Rav was a stupid move, along the lines of Nissan/Infiniti using the VQ in every car they produce, but it's proven to be a great move for Toyota and the Rav nameplate - so who am I to criticize ... that doesn't mean I won't though.

M.
Old 08-29-06, 04:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Dont want to use common components but dont want expensive cars, cant please everyone
Old 08-29-06, 10:12 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

The Hyundai's interior puts the other two to shame
Old 08-29-06, 11:40 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Mazda has a good product on their hands. I saw a CX-7 a couple months agoa and the interior is very impress. It's inspired by the RX-8 and has the same steering and seating position.

The Mazda is by far the most modern looking of the three. Maybe mmarshall needs to do a review.
Old 08-29-06, 11:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, the Rav4 really has grown up to compete with these guys...
Old 08-30-06, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Whoops, I should have been clearer. By "economy" I meant "use cheaper materials" and "hire cheaper designers" ... and by that I mean the new Rav4 interior looks 20 years old.

Nobody said the 3.5 wasn't good ... that's why it's in the RX, IS, and GS ... but why's it in the Rav4 again?

As for the MotorTrend comparison, I'd probably be impressed with the IS350 ... I MEAN Rav4's acceleration too.

And just so you don't get too upset about my comments, I'm just having fun here. I think tossing the 3.5 in the Rav was a stupid move, along the lines of Nissan/Infiniti using the VQ in every car they produce, but it's proven to be a great move for Toyota and the Rav nameplate - so who am I to criticize ... that doesn't mean I won't though.

M.
so basically you are bitter that Toyota uses same engine in Rav4, as in Lexus vehicles? :-).
Old 09-03-06, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I'm interested to see how the new Ford Edge compares. I really like its looks.