Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to sell Aston Martin (Update- Its Done!! Sold to Prodrive on Pg 6)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 01:12 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind everyone that it did nothing for FORD except make "some" Ford owners flaunt it.
But then Toyota is not Ford by a long shot. One company will be around in the next 15 years-other-NOT.
Old 09-01-06, 02:37 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be nice to see Toyota do something like this.
Old 09-01-06, 03:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like it's official now.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/busin...4606-1317r.htm

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea of Toyota buying it or not....though the idea of Aston getting Toyota reliability would be nice if Toyota could give it better electronics.

Still, the brand as a whole never made much sense to me except for those who want to drive what is essentially an overpriced Jaguar or have a James Bond babe machine.
Old 09-01-06, 07:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still, the brand as a whole never made much sense to me except for those who want to drive what is essentially an overpriced Jaguar or have a James Bond babe machine.
That alone makes a lot of sense to those who can afford them, plus the higher power engines, & I think the Aston's in the past 10 years look way better than the Jaguar coupe/convertibles.
Old 09-01-06, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Keep in mind everyone that it did nothing for FORD except make "some" Ford owners flaunt it.
But then Toyota is not Ford by a long shot. One company will be around in the next 15 years-other-NOT.
Well....that's what they've said about Chrysler several times since the 1970's.
Never underestimate the power of automotive CEO's to talk their way out of a mess.
Old 09-01-06, 08:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I rmember when Honda purchased Austin Rover in the late 80's. As a result, they came out with "Sterling". Very nice cars at the time Toyota should buy this small Euro car maker, and work its magic I can see Toyota really competing with the Mercedes to the max by bringing forth a Lexus version of Aston Martin Rapide to compete against the Mercedes CLS AMG, I can see it now................. Can Bob Lutz take over Lexus? he would do it
Old 09-01-06, 09:05 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

toyota would be no better of a company with aston, jmho.
Old 09-01-06, 09:27 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It would be nice to see Toyota purchase them, but IMO BMW seems more likely to pick them up.
Old 09-01-06, 09:28 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks like it's official now.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/busin...4606-1317r.htm

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea of Toyota buying it or not....though the idea of Aston getting Toyota reliability would be nice if Toyota could give it better electronics.

It could give the stepping stone Toyota needs to bring out the 100k+ cars for Lexus
Old 09-01-06, 09:56 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Found this on another forum....

That didn't take long, did it? Apparently Aston Martin is a hotter brand than we thought, as CAR online is reporting that two European luxury good firms, neither with experience in the automotive industry, are both interested in the marque. Swiss-based Richemont, who you might know by its Cartier brand of French jewelry and watches, and French holding company LVMH, best known for its Louis Vuitton and Fendi brands of luggage and hand bags, are the two companies that could potentially pay up to $1 billion or more for Aston Martin.

The eventual buyer is going to get the Aston Martin name, the company's factories at Gaydon and Newport Pagnell, the entire R&D team and the brand's management including CEO Ulrich Benz.

[Source: CAR]
Old 09-01-06, 10:56 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford is really trying to make some quick bucks to minimise the losses.
Old 09-01-06, 03:35 PM
LexFather

Buy it Toyota, please.......

And offer current Lexus owners low APR rates to buy em! lol

Old 09-01-06, 05:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't be in favor of Toyota making a move like that. Toyota is the sales leader in the US. They are in the top 5 in the world. Why would they mess with that? they have a good thing going. They have new and exciting cars coming out. The new LS will have a model reaching 100K. The first Lexus to cost that much. The Lexus supercar, possible Supra....they don't need AM. They need to stay the course that brought them to where they are. Remember, GM was once #1. They lost focus. Toyota can learn from that.
Old 09-01-06, 05:27 PM
LexFather

Aston might be bye bye. B/C they use retooled Jag parts and some engines are 2 Ford V-6s with glue. And Jags use Ford parts. So they are not tellng us something.

AND I LOVE THE BRAND!!!!

The name and heritage have a lot to offer. The luxury market will only grow. I say BUY BUY BUY!!

Old 09-01-06, 06:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't the Vanquish share the same engine as the Ford GT?

Quick Reply: Ford to sell Aston Martin (Update- Its Done!! Sold to Prodrive on Pg 6)