Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to sell Aston Martin (Update- Its Done!! Sold to Prodrive on Pg 6)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 10:02 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swiss-based Richemont, who you might know by its Cartier brand of French jewelry and watches, and French holding company LVMH, best known for its Louis Vuitton and Fendi brands of luggage and hand bags, are the two companies that could potentially pay up to $1 billion or more for Aston Martin.
That's chump change for the almighty Toyoda! I'm pretty sure that the exec's in Japan are probably discussing to the same length's that we are. It would definitely extend their global reach... But just because you CAN do something, doesn't always mean you should.
Old 09-02-06, 02:29 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by reggiek
I wouldn't be in favor of Toyota making a move like that. Toyota is the sales leader in the US. They are in the top 5 in the world. Why would they mess with that? they have a good thing going. They have new and exciting cars coming out. The new LS will have a model reaching 100K. The first Lexus to cost that much. The Lexus supercar, possible Supra....they don't need AM. They need to stay the course that brought them to where they are. Remember, GM was once #1. They lost focus. Toyota can learn from that.
Toyota is the 3rd sales leader in the US, 2nd in the world
Old 09-02-06, 03:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Toyota is 2nd in US just surpassing Ford this year and is on track to EASILY be first in the world by years end.
Old 09-02-06, 05:32 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Toyota is 2nd in US just surpassing Ford this year and is on track to EASILY be first in the world by years end.
Toyota outsold Ford one month this year, not close to being 2 in the US yet
Old 09-02-06, 05:47 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Um, I think its been all over the news that Toyota took over the number 2 position.
Old 09-02-06, 06:26 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

As much as I would love too see Toyota buy a company such as Aston Martin, what would they really do with it?
Old 09-02-06, 06:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
As much as I would love too see Toyota buy a company such as Aston Martin, what would they really do with it?
To prove to the world that you don't buy smaller car companies to make your company bigger (Gm, Ford, VW, etc...), but rather, to take something desireable and make it better...

Toyota can do that if they want to.
Old 09-02-06, 06:45 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
To prove to the world that you don't buy smaller car companies to make your company bigger (Gm, Ford, VW, etc...), but rather, to take something desireable and make it better...

Toyota can do that if they want to.
Interesting point

If it did happen, wonder if they would keep the price of the cars the same, lower them a bit or raise them, hmm.

Toyota with a luxury sedan (LS460/600) and a ultra-luxury sedan (Rapide).

Time will only tell.

One thing isn't Porsche buying up VW? If so Porsche is going to own alot of car companies (tad off topic).

Time to make a list how Toyota would look like with Aston Martin part of the family.

One thing Toyota would have something that would compete against Porsche and other car companies, with price and speed, etc.
Old 09-02-06, 06:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
If it did happen, wonder if they would keep the price of the cars the same, lower them a bit or raise them, hmm.

Toyota with a luxury sedan (LS460/600) and a ultra-luxury sedan (Rapide).
Now I know that Toyota's purchase of Aston is very very far fetched, but if they did, they need to make Aston ultra-expensive and exclusive. Ford tried to make Jaguar less expensive and less exclusive, and look at what has happened with it?

Aston deserves its rich (an I mean RICH) history and prestige. Dumbing it down to a "more frugal" alternative to Bentley would be sacreligious to high society. It's a "rich" man's toy, not an "upper middle class" toy...

One thing Toyota would have something that would compete against Porsche and other car companies, with price and speed, etc.
That's the great thing about Aston Martin. Even though it is fast, it was never about speed. Many people have compared Aston to Ferrari or Porsche, and it never won speed critics over. And that's fine: Aston is not about speed but rather luxury.

Can you see the similarities between BMW and Lexus? Critics will hail and praise BMW (and other performance automakers) but will simply aknowledge Lexus as a more luxurious car. Aston falls under the same umbrella when compared to Porsche and Ferrari.

Seems like a justified sales pitch for Toyota to buy Aston, right?
Old 09-02-06, 07:09 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Now I know that Toyota's purchase of Aston is very very far fetched, but if they did, they need to make Aston ultra-expensive and exclusive. Ford tried to make Jaguar less expensive and less exclusive, and look at what has happened with it?

Aston deserves its rich (an I mean RICH) history and prestige. Dumbing it down to a "more frugal" alternative to Bentley would be sacreligious to high society. It's a "rich" man's toy, not an "upper middle class" toy...

That's the great thing about Aston Martin. Even though it is fast, it was never about speed. Many people have compared Aston to Ferrari or Porsche, and it never won speed critics over. And that's fine: Aston is not about speed but rather luxury.

Can you see the similarities between BMW and Lexus? Critics will hail and praise BMW (and other performance automakers) but will simply aknowledge Lexus as a more luxurious car. Aston falls under the same umbrella when compared to Porsche and Ferrari.

Seems like a justified sales pitch for Toyota to buy Aston, right?
+1

One thing if Toyota did buy it, it can take out some of that Volvo stuff that Ford put in the AM, get some quality Lexus stuff. One thing would be nice see Toyota transfer part of the LINN Audio stuff into Lexus, nice feature for the LX or LS, choice between LINN or Mark Levinson *drools*

I do understand what your getting at.

One thing I can not compare Lexus to anything else.

BMW and Mercedes you can compare seeing they are power and speed hungry.

Porsche hasn't really changed that much since they started other than the ugly *** SUV they designed.

True you can not compare an Aston Martin to anything else either.

Alot of stuff you really can not compare.

Choices...

Lexus LS460/600h or Aston Martin Rapide
Lexus SC or Aston Martin DB9
Lexus LF-A or Aston Martin Vanquish S

One thing I do not understand the insanity about the top speed wars, as much as I like seeing cars able to do over 180 mph, there no way in hell most people can reach that on a highway (true, depends when and where). I still havent even reached 120 mph on a car lol.

Lexus = classy
Aston Martin = classy

I shut up now.

Interesting when Rolls Royce and Bentley seperate, I am wondering why did Toyota not purchase on of the two?

One thing I do like Porsche, only thing stopping me from buying one, not a decent sound system. I am a huge audiophile.

Last edited by JessePS; 09-02-06 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 09:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Aston’s chief executive rumoured to be considering a bid . . .

Driving

Times Online September 03, 2006

Aston goes under hammer

Aston Martin is up for sale. Ford, its struggling parent company, plans to sell off all or part of the British marque and Ulrich Bez, Aston’s chief executive, is rumoured to be considering a bid.
Bez said the sale would be carried out “as rapidly as possible” but refused to comment on his own plans, saying only that he intended to continue heading the Warwickshire-based company, having taken it into profit last year.

Among the company’s forthcoming models is the stunning limited-edition DBS, above, pictured during testing in Germany. The roadgoing version of James Bond’s latest wheels, it is set to be unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show in January before going on sale in the summer.

source : driving.timesonline.co.uk

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-05-06 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 01:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Analysts: Japanese buyout of Aston Martin unlikely

With Ford putting its ultra-lux Aston Martin marque up for sale, there's been plenty of speculation on who will buy it. Interesting, while names of Russian billionaires and the former head of Ford (Nasser) have been batted about, barely anyone has mentioned Toyota, Nissan, and Honda, arguably the richest automakers at this time. Analysts even reported that Hyundai was a possible contender. (It said no.)

So why aren't the "Japanese Three" even in the rumor mill as potential buyers? According to MarketWatch, much of it has to do with consumer skills: the automakers simply lack the experience and infrastructure to cater to Aston Martin buyers. States analyst Koji Endo of Credit Suisse Securities, "The customer base is totally different. ... Those who buy Aston Martin cars are ultra rich." While the automakers would eventually develop the necessary skills, analysts agree it would take years to do so.

Also, all three automakers have their own luxury lines: Toyota/Lexus; Nissan/Infinit; and Honda/Acura. While none are in the same league as Aston Martin, all the automakers have either considerable investments in them or have other obligations tying their resources. Toyota, for example, is expanding its Lexus brand in Europe and Japan. Nissan and partner, Renault, are currently in discussion of a possible alliance with General Motors. Finally, Honda has been divesting itself of alliances since the '90s.

Our take? The three Japanese automakers saw what happened to General Motors and Ford with their acquisitions which probably explains their reluctance. Also, all three are in the process of expansion in form or another based on heavy demand for their current products. It would make no sense to aquire another line even at a steal (which Aston Martin, unlike Jaguar, would definitely be not.) The Japanese automakers, especially Toyota and Honda, tend to look at its investements long-term: if they don't see Aston Martin profitable at that time, they don't waste resources no matter how tempting the offer.

Basically what I was thinking and posted here earlier. Aston and Toyota?? Not gonna happen.

http://www.thecarblog.com/the_hot_ne...ond_glance.php

Last edited by GFerg; 09-08-06 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 01:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I rmember when Honda purchased Austin Rover in the late 80's. As a result, they came out with "Sterling". Very nice cars at the time
Honda didn't buy Austin Rover, they just supplied engines for a number of Austin Rover models including the Sterling.
Old 09-08-06, 02:40 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Shame, I'd have liked to have seen what Toyota could have done with Aston. I certainly hope the brand doesn't languish.
Old 10-21-06, 11:44 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

LVMH owner is planning too bid on Aston Martin, if thats true. Wonder if you can get an option of LV leather seats in your next AM LOL

Quick Reply: Ford to sell Aston Martin (Update- Its Done!! Sold to Prodrive on Pg 6)