Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you think the smart car is SAFE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 06:03 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Safe compared to what?

Due to small size, weight and no real crush zones, it is less safe than most cars, although considerable work has been done in making it safe.

You can check real test here:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=1&id2=69

Basically Smart Car has really strong crash cage, HOWEVER that makes it transfer higher than usual forces into the restraints and then driver/passangers themselves.

If you add that cars in the US are considerably bigger than in Europe, that makes it a bit less safe as well.
its not like the israeli army going to sell me a bloody tank to drive around in with, pretty much the only thing i would be safe to drive in.
Old 09-04-06, 03:53 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, yes and no. Size and weight often ( but not always ) increase safety factors. The Smart, for its size, has quite good ratings....so does the Aygo. In a substantial impact with a large, heavy vehicle, though, I would not want to be in either a Smart or an Aygo.
Quite correct, all the safety engineering in the world cannot repeal the laws of physics. In a crash with a Lincoln Town Car I would choose to be in the Lincoln.