Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2006 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 05:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
Infiniti needs to make something happen. I don't know what though. I think their subpar mpg isn't helping any matters.
Problem is, other than the new G, Infiniti doesn't really have anything in the pipeline that's coming soon.
Old 09-02-06, 05:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
Take a closer look at the Lexus numbers - they are not so hot actually. Every model is down except for the new ES and IS. In fact the ES sales probably included some ES330s making their showing kind of a mystery (I honestly expected to see close to a 10K month for this car). Looks to me like the entire increase in Lexus sales is due to the IS.

I do expect the new LS kick some butt. However, I don't think the market for the new GS is going to be what everyone thinks (only so many people buy these cars). Lexus needs to do something with their high end SUVs - and quick. Look at what MB is doing with the M, GL, and R class - very nice and consistent.

Using such shallow logic, if you take a "closer look" at BMW's sales numbers, it would seem they are in trouble. But of course, you and I, not to mention most BMW fans know the underlying reasons for BMW's sales drops at the end of summer.

Now, if you actually take a deeper look into the Lexus lineup, you can see that in fact Lexus sales can only go even higher. ES sales are most likely production capped. No word yet from Toyota, but don't be surprised.

Some were quick to harp on the new Camry saying it wasn't increasing sales all that much compared with the old model. Toyota has now confirmed this is entirely due to production being capped right now.

Notice practically all of the Lexus models suffering declines are old, and aging models. Hmmm, old models declining in sales, who would have thought? The LS, it's pretty obvious that everyone is waiting for the new model. The SC, it's old, and aging. The LX470 is very long in the tooth, and so is the GX470. The RX also is aging, and even so remains sales leader for the segment.

As for the GS, I don't need to tell you GS430 production was stopped months ago. 2007 GS430's are special order, and extremely limited, because Lexus is currently prepping for GS460 production. The GS350 just came out end of August, so we'll see what it does for GS sales. GS450h is entirely limited by production capacity.

SUVs in general are showing sales declines market-wide, so I believe the Lexus SUV lineup will move more towards crossover offerings.

Lexus stated they wanted to have balanced sales of cars and SUVs, and not be mainly about SUVs. Right now, Lexus is selling a large amount of cars, which is exactly what they wanted.
Old 09-02-06, 05:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota, amazingly the old Corolla is UP and the new CIVIC is down! Incredible.
The Accord dropped 28% and it was just revised. The Camry is only up 2% b/c they can't make enough! Fit sales are very good, Scion sales are ridiculous. Accord hyrbid sales, did anyone else see the drop?

Nissan, Versa sales VERy strong, way more than the FIT. Thing is Toyota sold 11,000 Yaris in a month, more than the Fit and Versa x 2. Nissan had at least some more + than last month, Maxima sales up.

Avalon sales down 28%! ES 350 has to be hurting it I would say, especially at the same price.
I'm shocked at the decline in Honda's car sales. I think that, as amazing as this sounds, the Corolla may be hurting sales of the new Civic! Just a guess though.

I'm sure that the new Camry is eating into Accord sales, revised model or not.
Old 09-02-06, 07:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm shocked at the decline in Honda's car sales. I think that, as amazing as this sounds, the Corolla may be hurting sales of the new Civic! Just a guess though.

Honda also dropped in Japan. I dont think their new cars are working out that well.
Old 09-02-06, 07:59 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

the GX470 is now on its 5th yr. The previous 4Runner sold for 7yrs, a replacement isn't all that far off.
Old 09-02-06, 08:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah and I should add Lexus was FIRST on the scene with the full SUV lineup--RX/GX/LX...

There is no need to add a sales oddity like the R class.
Old 09-03-06, 07:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I agree. True its only a month but with high gas prices, Honda should be a sure bet and it didn't happen. Their truck sales (lol at calling them trucks) were up though. Very odd.

Old 09-03-06, 09:26 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol. lol. lol.
Poor Lexus. Gotta feel it for those guys eh?.
I wonder when are they going to go out of business.

Now, I bet that doesnt have anything to do with poor BMW sales, which dropped significantly, 2nd month in the row, while Lexus sales rose?

hihihi
Funny, I don't remember commenting on BMW's sales.

Anyway, they do have a refreshed X3 and a completely new X5 coming out this fall. Plus with a new MDX and 3 row X5 we will just see if my theory of Lexus not having a 3row car based SUV will be a factor.
Old 09-03-06, 06:15 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

I wonder if Honda cares more about

a.)sales being down for one month vs the same month last year

or

b.) Overall division sales being up for the entire year vs. last.

Survey says....B!!!

Accord Hybrid sales are down because Honda cut production of them big time since demand is nt very high for them. That alone is the biggest factor why overall Accord sales are down when you look at the numbers.

In reality, Honda sales have only been rising for the past decade and they show no signs of stopping. Some people can sure be quick to point out the negatives and not look at the big picture only to stroke their little egos.
Old 09-03-06, 06:20 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doug_999
Funny, I don't remember commenting on BMW's sales.

Anyway, they do have a refreshed X3 and a completely new X5 coming out this fall. Plus with a new MDX and 3 row X5 we will just see if my theory of Lexus not having a 3row car based SUV will be a factor.
RX sales will still be strong IMO. The RX will be the cheapest priced car when compared to the MDX, ML and X5 and that alone will be a big selling factor. MDX is said to be starting at $40k+ with the X5 and ML already priced above $40k+. I'm not to confident the MDX will sell as well it did when this new model comes out. Might be priced a bit high if you ask me.
Old 09-03-06, 08:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
I wonder if Honda cares more about

a.)sales being down for one month vs the same month last year

or

b.) Overall division sales being up for the entire year vs. last.

Survey says....B!!!

Accord Hybrid sales are down because Honda cut production of them big time since demand is nt very high for them. That alone is the biggest factor why overall Accord sales are down when you look at the numbers.

In reality, Honda sales have only been rising for the past decade and they show no signs of stopping. Some people can sure be quick to point out the negatives and not look at the big picture only to stroke their little egos.
Lol, this is twice I agree with you in a week! I agree, 1 month does not make a trend.

Old 09-04-06, 06:13 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

product delays are killing Nissan.
that's now their single biggest problem- unless theyre calculating that theyll cut costs by releasing cars less often and think they can manage with fewer sales?

anyway,
the sentra should have come over a year ago.
the altima should have been out already- and is delayed again(!)
the new g35 sedan should have been out this past spring.
the new g35 coupe should have been out by now.
they need to kill the q already.
where is the fx replacement? the car is due.

im not sure why the M lost out to the GS by so much this month..

edit- i meant they should kill the q (not m)

Last edited by Tekknikal; 09-04-06 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-04-06, 07:12 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
RX sales will still be strong IMO. The RX will be the cheapest priced car when compared to the MDX, ML and X5 and that alone will be a big selling factor. MDX is said to be starting at $40k+ with the X5 and ML already priced above $40k+. I'm not to confident the MDX will sell as well it did when this new model comes out. Might be priced a bit high if you ask me.
I agree - Acura has been pricing their cars a bit too high of late. The RDX at $38K loaded is getting way too close to the existing MDX. Still the reviews of the new MDX are nothing short of astounding. I'm not worried about the price; I am worried about the grill however.

Your point about the low priced vehicle is none more apparent than in the Honda Pilot. The car is 5-6 years old and is selling almost 20K per month. The fact that you can get one loaded for approx $31K (for a 07) I think is the driving force.
Old 09-04-06, 09:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
product delays are killing Nissan.
that's now their single biggest problem- unless theyre calculating that theyll cut costs by releasing cars less often and think they can manage with fewer sales?

anyway,
the sentra should have come over a year ago.
the altima should have been out already- and is delayed again(!)
the new g35 sedan should have been out this past spring.
the new g35 coupe should have been out by now.
they need to kill the m already.
where is the fx replacement? the car is due.

im not sure why the M lost out to the GS by so much this month..
1. Sentra actually has been a very good seller, though its old, that is why they pushed it back. That and they could not decide internally on the next design.
2. Altima is on target for release.
3. G35 is coming out a year early. (4 years)
4. Coupe will be out next year in 5.
6. The FX was just revised this year and sales are in the toilet.

Old 09-04-06, 09:44 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Sentra actually has been a very good seller, though its old, that is why they pushed it back. That and they could not decide internally on the next design.
2. Altima is on target for release.
3. G35 is coming out a year early. (4 years)
4. Coupe will be out next year in 5.
6. The FX was just revised this year and sales are in the toilet.
the g should not be a 5yr car, and especially not the v35 series.

Quick Reply: August 2006 Sales