Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2006 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 10:10 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Sentra actually has been a very good seller, though its old, that is why they pushed it back. That and they could not decide internally on the next design.
2. Altima is on target for release.
3. G35 is coming out a year early. (4 years)
4. Coupe will be out next year in 5.
6. The FX was just revised this year and sales are in the toilet.
Technically, the G35/skyline has been out for 5 years already. It was just released later in the US
Old 09-04-06, 11:16 PM
LexFather

Lets see G35 debuted here as a 2003 model.
Second gen debuts in 2007.

4 years, a year quicker than non-luxury brands, let alone luxury ones.

IS 300 2001-2005. And if you want to go there, debuted as a IS 200 in Europe in 1997 and sold there as a IS 200/300 until 2005. That is what 8 years?
IS 300 (2001-2005) now (2006-present)
BMW E46 3 series - (1999–2005) now (2006- present)
Benz C class-(2000-present)
Infiniti G35(2003-2006) now (2007-present)
Acura TL (1999-2003) now (2004- present)

G35 sedan changed in 4 years here, that is the fact, no way getting around it.

Old 09-04-06, 11:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I am curious to theories on why the GS sold 3k last month and the M35/45 almost 1k less. No showroom traffic? It can't be advertising b/c I see way more M35/45 ads than GS ads in print and television. Prestige? Didn't the M beat the GS by a few units a couple months this year (IMO a pretty big accomplishment)?
Maybe this was said in this thread after your post (haven't read the whole thread yet) but maybe if spwolf's theory that ES production was capped then customers who were at the showroom but couldn't get an ES bought a GS instead?
Old 09-04-06, 11:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe this was said in this thread after your post (haven't read the whole thread yet) but maybe if spwolf's theory that ES production was capped then customers who were at the showroom but couldn't get an ES bought a GS instead?
Sorry Paul, don't follow u here? Your saying
1. ES production was capped (was it voluntary or just can't make enough)?
2. Thus people bought a GS instead (GS sales are up)

I think that is what your saying? Interesting theory by spwolf but not sure I can agree with it. Then again, for the first time a loaded ES is above $40,000 and maybe people did decide to jump to the next level Lexus (GS) at that price?

Old 09-04-06, 11:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Yes, I meant to say if customers went to a Lexus showroom to get an ES and couldn't get one then maybe the salesperson talked them into a GS300 for a 'good deal'.
Old 09-04-06, 11:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, I meant to say if customers went to a Lexus showroom to get an ES and couldn't get one then maybe the salesperson talked them into a GS300 for a 'good deal'.
Makes sense. Also, there is probably many potential ES buyers who were not even aware of the GS and saw it and liked it. I am sure as you stated, there were good GS 300 deals.

Old 09-05-06, 05:04 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Lets see G35 debuted here as a 2003 model.
Second gen debuts in 2007.

4 years, a year quicker than non-luxury brands, let alone luxury ones.

IS 300 2001-2005. And if you want to go there, debuted as a IS 200 in Europe in 1997 and sold there as a IS 200/300 until 2005. That is what 8 years?
IS 300 (2001-2005) now (2006-present)
BMW E46 3 series - (1999–2005) now (2006- present)
Benz C class-(2000-present)
Infiniti G35(2003-2006) now (2007-present)
Acura TL (1999-2003) now (2004- present)

G35 sedan changed in 4 years here, that is the fact, no way getting around it.
infiniti is not lexus. nor are they bmw. you cant use bmw,lexus, etc business strategy to indicate whats best for nissan.

the g35 sedan should have been a 4yr car. it wasnt setup to be more than that. it was designed when nissan was in a lot of trouble and carries a number of compromises as a result. the redone car should have been released at the 4yr mark, which would have been last March. it makes little sense to let sales decline and delay the product update over what should amount to an overall refinement anyway (and not an all new product)
regarding the coupe, the coupe should have been coming this fall- october would have been 4 years.
..and the above times are for the US, these cars have been for sale longer in japan. look at how well they're doing now. i maintain my argument that they should have been 4yr cars, and not 4.5 or anything else.
Old 09-06-06, 01:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

US Sales of Hybrids Hit New High in August: 26,189 Units, 1.8% of LDV Market

Sales of hybrids in the US continued to climb in August, with a total of 26,189 units sold. That represents an increase of 21.4% from August 2005 and an increase of 2.2% from July 2006. In August, hybrids represented 1.8% of the total light-duty vehicle market.

By contrast, total light duty vehicle sales in August in the US increased only 0.2% from the year before. Sales of light trucks declined 2.3%, while sales of passenger cars climbed 3.1%, year-on-year.
Hybrid_sales_aug06_2
Click to enlarge.

Toyota continued to lead the way, with strong sales of the Prius (11,117—3 units more than July’s total) and the Camry Hybrid (4,977—a slight 1% decline from July). Together, those two models represented 61.5% of the total hybrid market. The Camry Hybrid represented 11.8% of total Camry brand sales.

The Highlander Hybrid posted 2,581 units, a drop of 12% from August 2005. The Highlander Hybrid represents 22.2% of total Highlander sales. The Rx 400h posted 1,514 units, a sharp drop of 42% from August 2005. The Rx 400h represented 15.4% of combined Rx 400h/Rx 350 sales.

The luxury GS 450h sedan posted 192 units, representing 53% of combined GS 450h/GS 430 sales. That represents 6.5% of all GS model sales: 300, 430 and 450h.

The Ford Escape and Mariner hybrid had a relatively strong month, posting 1,789 units, an increase of 31% from August 2005. The Ford hybrids represented 12.6% of total Escape and Mariner sales.

The Honda Civic Hybrid posted its strongest results of 2006, with 3,411 units sold. Even so, that represented a decrease of 18% compared to August 2005. The hybrid sales in August 2006 represented 10.8% of all Civic models sold. The Accord Hybrid posted 499 units—a steep decrease of 79% compared to August 2005. Hybrids represented 1.4% of all Accord models sold in August. The Insight, on its way out, posted a consistent 109 units, a 27% increase from the year before.

Sales figures for the new Saturn VUE Green Line hybrid will begin to emerge in a month or so, according to GM.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006..._hyb.html#more
Old 09-06-06, 02:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus up 34% in Canadian sales!

http://www.autonorth.ca/home/2006/9/...s-results.html
Old 09-06-06, 03:33 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Hybrid Sales

Hybrid Sales Losing Their Shine
BY Lauren Carter/Sun Chronicle Staff

Two years ago, hybrid vehicles were selling out at dealer ships.

Attleboro Toyota had a seven- to eight-month backlog on the Prius.

Herb Chambers Honda in Seekonk couldn't keep Civic Hybrids in stock.

Now, despite a recent spike in gas prices, the craze has cooled.

At the new Boch Toyota (formerly Attleboro Toyota), hybrids are still in high demand, but the waiting list is down to three months, sales manager Mike Howe said.

Toyota offers hybrid models in the Prius, Camry sedan and Highlander SUV.

Roger DaLomba, sales manager at Herb Chambers Honda, said there's no waiting list for a hybrid car, and sales on the vehicles have stayed about the same over the past year.

Honda offers three hybrid models: the Civic, which gets an estimated 50 mpg, the Accord, which gets gas mileage in the high 30s, and the Insight, which is adver tised at 70 mpg.

What is selling like crazy, DaLomba said, is the Honda Pilot, a V6 SUV that apparent ly is becoming popular with drivers of larger, gas-guzzling SUVs looking to downsize their vehicle, as well as their payments at the pump.

Though gas prices have dipped the past couple of weeks -- last week's average in Massachusetts was $2.86 for regular fuel, compared with $3.06 a month ago -- relatively high prices at the pump are prompting drivers to find more fuel-efficient means of transportation.

A recent consumer report found that fuel efficiency is the No. 1 concern for car buyers, even beating out dependability.

The hybrid, which works by combining a gasoline engine and an emissions-free electric motor, is just one of many solutions drivers are finding for the problem of high prices at the pump.

As drivers make fuel efficiency their chief concern, giant SUVs stay in park while mid-size SUV sales increase and subcompact cars like the small-on-the-outside, roomy-on-the-inside Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and the Toyota Yaris all grow in popularity.

`` I think (hybrid) sales have spiked and leveled off,'' said AAA spokesman John Paul. `` They'll continue to be popular with people looking for good fuel economy, or techno-geeks who want the latest and greatest, the next thing on the horizon.''

`` Yeah, it's a little bit cheaper when you go to fill up at the pump, but it's going to cost you a lot of money to start off with,'' he said.

In addition to the higher cost, Paul said many hybrids are not getting the estimated EPA mileage advertised. He said hybrids function best in city driving conditions, not long commutes.

Howe, the Toyota sales manager, agrees.

`` People need to educate themselves on the type of driving that's going to benefit them,'' he said. `` Because if they're doing a lot of highway driving, they may not get the gas mileage promised.''

Toyota spokesman Wade Hoyt said hybrid sales have dipped recently, but only because of a limited supply. He said as soon as the cars come off the boat from Japan, where they were first developed in 1997, they are sold.

But Toyota sales in general reflect the fact that drivers are looking for more fuel-efficient cars.

Sales on the four-cylinder Corolla are up 17 percent, while the mid-size Camry sedan has stayed about even.

The three Scion models, a group of smallish cars aimed at the youth market, are up from 9 percent to 29 percent each, Hoyt said.

Not surprisingly, sales on the V8 Land Cruiser SUV are down 37 percent, and the even larger V8 Sequoia is down 31 percent.

Perhaps the biggest shocker is the increase in sales of the RAV4, a four-cylinder SUV and the smallest of the fleet, up a whopping 108 percent, likely satisfying drivers who want an SUV but don't want to pay for one at the pump.

Meanwhile, Nissan has been slow to jump on the hybrid bandwagon, but auto maker will roll out a hybrid model of the mid-sized Altima next year.

Ron Tondreault, general manager of Fireside Nissan in North Attleboro, said the cars will use the technology developed by Toyota.

He said with a higher cost to manufacture and buy hybrids, gas mileage that doesn't always live up to the advertised numbers and questions about how to dispose of the battery, he's not completely sold on the cars.

`` I've got mixed feelings about them,'' he said. `` But I'm going to have them and people are going to want them.''

Tondreault sees wise choices in other areas.

Last July he broke sales records and ran out of the four-cylinder Sentras, Nissan's small car.

Nissan is also rolling out a new subcompact car called the Versa, which starts at $14,000, and is currently introducing CVT, continuously variable transmissions which have no gears and improve gas mileage by about 10 percent to 11 percent, which Tondreault considers a better alternative to the hybrid.

`` CVT is great technology, but not at a great expense to the consumer,'' he said.

By December Tondreault said CVT will be in most Nissan vehicles.

CVT also comes standard in all of the Toyota hybrids, Hoyt said.

American manufacturers seem to be catching onto the fuel efficiency bandwagon, as well.

Ford and Mercury will offer hybrid models of their Escape and Mariner SUVs, and GM and Chrysler have both come up with Displacement on Demand, a cylinder deactivation system which amounts to a 2 percent to 5 percent fuel economy savings.

Amidst all the possible solutions to the problem of high gas prices, Kathy Lannon of Millis thinks she's found hers in the form of a five-speed, four-cylinder Civic Hybrid.

When Lannon first talked about getting a hybrid vehicle, everyone called her crazy.

They said the vehicle's high cost would outweigh the savings on gas, and she'd never recoup her money.

So, she went out and bought a hybrid vehicle anyway.

Turns out those naysayers might want to rethink their position.

Lannon's Civic gets 50 mpg as promised, she said, with one minor addendum.

`` The caveat here is I do drive like an old lady,'' she said. `` I'm a pretty conservative driver and I don't tend to speed.''

With only a 10-mile commute each way to work, Lannon said filling up her tank is an infrequent occurrence.

`` I actually have to remember to get gas now,'' said Lannon, a nurse and member of the board of health in Millis.

But Lannon said as fuel-efficient as the car is, buying a hybrid was as much about saving money as sending a message.

`` I always said that ever since 9/11, with all my big purchases I would aim toward gas efficiency and energy efficiency,'' she said. `` I think we need to vote not just at the polls, but with our pocketbooks '85 We need to vote with what we buy, that's the most effective way to change things.''

LAUREN CARTER can be reached at 508-236-0339 or at lcarter(at)(at)thesunchronicle.com.
Old 09-06-06, 03:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I think with the waiting lists for Yaris, Fits, and Versas we can see that plenty of people just want good reliable transportation with decent gas mileage AT A DECENT PRICE.