Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Test: 2007 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 08:03 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
um, again - since other 100 or so articles did not mention measurment devices, I bet all they did is hookup some gps based measurment device to the preview car.

Again, this was claimed to be during world introduction in Austria that took place few months ago.
That is real setback for Lexus and especially with all the recall issues as of late and now this.
Old 09-02-06, 08:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Excuse me? If you are here to bash Lexus...we have yet to see a full test drive and complete review!
Old 09-02-06, 08:43 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enigma888
^^^
Excuse me? If you are here to bash Lexus...we have yet to see a full test drive and complete review!
Not a bash at all...Just stating the facts bud.
Preview or review... its not going to change the drive times.

Last edited by Q45th; 09-02-06 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 08:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

We shall see. Toyota's recalls are being addressed NOW with a redrawn product release timeframe, and the Lexus flagship is still advertised as having a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds. Lexus has not retracted that, and until a full test drive (not one done during a press preview) is done, and confirmed, I give them the benefit of the doubt that it will be within that vicinity--Lexus is usually conservative on this, and meets or beats estimates.

Several details: 1) this is a preview car (and carries a tag on the dash--items are not at production level quality); one reviewer claimed a piece of the dash fell off and we know that is not typical Lexus quality!; 2) if what spwolf says is true, the testing was not the full rigorous set we expect from normal testing. It's possible that the drive times will be DIFFERENT with other tests. The LS 430 has 0-60 of 5.9, I expect the LS 460 to probably beat it.

With all due respect, they've earned credibility far more than some other makes.

Last edited by encore888; 09-02-06 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 09:01 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

We shall see. Toyota's recalls are being addressed NOW with a redrawn product release timeframe, and the Lexus flagship is still advertised as having a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds. Lexus has not retracted that, and until a full test drive (not one done during a press preview) is done, and confirmed, I give them the benefit of the doubt that it will be within that vicinity--Lexus is usually conservative on this, and meets or beats estimates.

With all due respect, they've earned credibility far more than some other makes.
I hope they are working on this because the epitamy of the brand is riding on this....as sales have been going down, recalls, and now this.

Last edited by Q45th; 09-02-06 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 09:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I hope so too!

But sales have been going down? Toyota recorded an increase of sales this month of 17%; Lexus is up also. Many other brands are going down, but sales are fine at Toyota and Lexus.
Old 09-02-06, 09:14 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Q45th
This Australian Review thinks it is a conservative time
Old 09-02-06, 09:15 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

I hope so too!

But sales have been going down? Toyota recorded an increase of sales this month of 17%; Lexus is up also. Many other brands are going down, but sales are fine at Toyota and Lexus.
Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus, which took the U.S. market by storm, has conjured up little more than a cloudy future in Japan.

Sales of three Lexus models have been about 60 percent of the company's initial targets.

The automaker aims to catch up with German rivals with the top-of-the-line LS sedan, which is scheduled for release on Sept. 19.
Old 09-02-06, 09:16 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax guys, I know what the problem is:

They forgot to mention the new driver they used:
Old 09-02-06, 09:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus, which took the U.S. market by storm, has conjured up little more than a cloudy future in Japan.

Sales of three Lexus models have been about 60 percent of the company's initial targets.

The automaker aims to catch up with German rivals with the top-of-the-line LS sedan, which is scheduled for release on Sept. 19.
Ah, you are talking about Japan. Yes, there the sales are off targets. But its a bit simplistic to say they are going down because of recalls. Rather, the sales have not been as high as they forecast, largely because of strong competition, both internally (from Toyota itself) and from the other imports.

The New LS has already had 8,000 pre-orders before launch, 0-60 notwithstanding.

But you have a point. Things could be better.
Old 09-02-06, 10:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't seen the article, but I bet that these will simply turn out to be C & D "estimated times", not official review times. Often, C & D "estimated" times are way off the times they get in a proper review. The "estimated" times are always in a preview.
Old 09-02-06, 10:35 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I haven't seen the article, but I bet that these will simply turn out to be C & D "estimated times", not official review times. Often, C & D "estimated" times are way off the times they get in a proper review. The "estimated" times are always in a preview.
It was a preview test (at the Austria press event), but the times were NOT estimated. They were tested times.

"... we found that a non-quite-short-enough first gear led to worse-than-expected acceleration times. The LS jumps off the line but falls flat until the engine reaches the torque band at about 3500 rpm."
Old 09-02-06, 10:40 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I just skimmed through the article and it sings the usual about the LS: great interior, great details, great technology, unenthusiastic handling, blah blah blah.
Old 09-03-06, 07:16 AM
LexFather

Looking at you name, your post should be discontinued.

THis has nothing to do with this review and we have another thread discussing this.

If you want to troll, please go back to your home and discuss why the Q45 has been a failure since 1989...

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-06, 10:25 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
It was a preview test (at the Austria press event), but the times were NOT estimated. They were tested times.

"... we found that a non-quite-short-enough first gear led to worse-than-expected acceleration times. The LS jumps off the line but falls flat until the engine reaches the torque band at about 3500 rpm."
Fair enough, but again, let us wait for other comparos and for a full review of a production LS from C & D before making any conclusions.

From what I have gathered at Japanese websites, the pre-production LS samples provided at the Austria event were extremely early builds, whose main purpose was to simply preview the LS, and to begin the flow of information to consumers.

Quick Reply: C&D Test: 2007 LS460