Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reexamined an S550 Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 08:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
For the sake of comparison, here's a similar shot of the LS Series interior.
Although the Lexus is a bit more traditional, it is distinctive.

I just realized; what happened to the shifters?
Old 09-06-06, 09:49 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the 03-06 s-class models were beautiful. The interior was nice too. The new S-class is a marvel but the exterior is ugly. I like traditional cars. Also who let that steering wheel get on production vehicles. Its grotesque. I think if they just had the old steering wheel and a normal floor shifter, the interior would look great. And as or ripping off designs, there really is a limited choice for designers. If you innovate, you alienate the current clientele, if you stay the same, you are bashed for not innovating. Damned if you do damned if you dont.
Old 09-07-06, 06:20 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
MB S-Class

BMW 7-Series

Too close for comfort. Is this the trademark "German" design? How about ingenuity? Design should evolve, not stay stagnant...
Hahaha. Mercedes is a pathetic copycat.
Was it that character Dan Neil that said this Mercedes interior is a lot better than the new LS's, lol. Yeah, it's too bad that Lexus doesn't have the originality and innovation that MB has. Give me a break.
And not only is the S's steering wheel horrible, but so isn't the 7's.
Then look at how beautiful the LS's is.
Old 09-07-06, 09:38 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we should be more humble....it wasn't so long ago that the LS copied S-classes down to the wheels...

anyways i've driven the new S550 and i honestly could care less about the steering wheel. It drives like a train on rails on the freeway to vegas and that about sold me. Too bad i'm too poor to buy one.

As for the luxury part, that's usually people's own interpretation of what is luxurious. I find my MB more luxurious than my Lex, my girlfriend does not. It's up to the individual.
Old 09-07-06, 11:11 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I would much rather have an Audi A8 or a Lexus LS, especially when it comes to interiors, luxury, and features. I personally think that Lexus and Audi are up and comers of the sport/luxury car segment and are perennial under-dogs about to beat BMW and MB at their own game. I personally would have a hard time choosing between the A8 and the LS.

2004-06 Audi A8 Interior:

2004-06 Lexus LS interior (I'm using the 2005 model because Audi hasnt come out with an entirely new A8 yet and I wanted to keep things equal):

I personally think the Current A8 (soon to be replaced with a new model) has a slight advantage in terms of interior design when compared with the current LS (to be replaced sooner than the A8), but both are extremely nice.

Just to make things interesting and show what is to come, I thought I'de put some pics of the interior on the brand new LS on here:

I'm anticipating the interiors of both the new Ls and the upcoming A8 to be close in terms of design, aesthetics, and quality of materials. Things will definately be interesting the when comparison tests of the new A8 and the new LS come out. As far as BMW and MB are concerned, they are going to get left behind...I think.
Old 09-07-06, 01:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think both Audi and Lexus interiors are great, and just the fact that they have shifters would make me choose either one over MB or BMW.
Old 09-07-06, 03:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The A8 interior makes lovely use of wood, which I like. But there are a few differences--one, the LS is #1 in sales--it also offers a touchscreen, while the other 3 all use *****.

Last edited by encore888; 09-07-06 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 09:02 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
we should be more humble....it wasn't so long ago that the LS copied S-classes down to the wheels...

anyways i've driven the new S550 and i honestly could care less about the steering wheel. It drives like a train on rails on the freeway to vegas and that about sold me. Too bad i'm too poor to buy one.

As for the luxury part, that's usually people's own interpretation of what is luxurious. I find my MB more luxurious than my Lex, my girlfriend does not. It's up to the individual.

I agree with your statement as far as being humble. I have been a Lexus owner for over 10 years and Lexus definitely copied the S-class with the earlier versions of the LS. I guess some feel like it's payback being able to say that the S-class interior is a direct copy of the 7 series.

I have driven the S550 as well and I find it luxurious and fun to drive. I also found the COMMAND controller easy to use. Other people don't...so be it. As you said, it's up to the individual.

I really want to see what the LS460hL has to offer (looks great in pics) and the S63 AMG. Two very different cars and driving dynamics, but I'll buy the one that makes me the happiest.
Old 09-07-06, 10:00 PM
acerfan
Rookie

http://www.carphotosite.com/modelpag...ttro/index.php

http://www.carphotosite.com/modelpag...50Li/index.php

http://www.carphotosite.com/modelpag...S460/index.php

http://www.carphotosite.com/modelpag...base/index.php

these are the most beautiful interiors I've ever seen. the S-Class still gets my vote for the most luxurious interior, sorry. the LS is ok, but it's just too busy due to the buttons and panel edges.

Old 09-07-06, 10:44 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
How ANYONE could call the S550’s interior “luxurious” is beyond me! It’s what
you would expect in a nice pick-up. At 92k it didn’t even have a wood/leather
steering wheel. Why should that have to be ordered special on a MB? By
luxury comparison, the interior was VERY plain and DULL. Worse than I
remembered.
ack!

Big Jimm, let me tell you, I for one will NOT own a car with a wood steering wheel. I'm personally still trying to figure out why people even like them. They may look nice, but they are the functional equivalent to putting Amoral on your gas and brake pedal.

If you live in colder climates (like I do), the wood is unbearably cold in the winter (and if you get the wood steering wheel you lose the ability to get the heated steering wheel - at least on the Audi).

If you live in hotter climates (like you do), the wood is too hot to touch in the summer.

However, no matter what the temp, the steering wheel is ALWAYS slippery - and why you want to make the key instrument in driving a car slippery is beyond me (hint don't try to put your leg up against it while driving on the highway while you reach for something-you probably will crash).

In short, I know there are plenty of people who love their wood steering wheel, but what I've pointed out above are facts and 39 months with one of them babies has made me aware that form comes before function in any automaker that chooses to put a wood steering wheel in.
Old 09-07-06, 10:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't find the wood steering wheel on my lexus slippery at all compared to the one on my G35 coupe even during more aggressive driving/cornering it definately isn't from a purely functional point of view, but maybe just the feel/touch . . .

I won't disagree with the temperature part though, but it doesn't get too hot nor too cold where I live . . .
Old 09-08-06, 06:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

My $0.02...

I believe the new S-class and 7 series interiors are actually MORE innovative and the S-class interior MORE elegant than the new LS. Here's why:

Innovation?
The new LS continues the same touch screen in center stack surrounded by tons of buttons. I agree with acerfan that it looks too busy. It's also not that ergonomic with buttons to the RIGHT of the screen which with the wide screen and a wide car makes them quite a reach.

The new S-class and 7 series put the screen up high, presumably to be more visible while driving (quick glance right instead of right and DOWN into the stack). Because of the location, touch screen doesn't make sense. Yes, the '*****' aren't great but these models are more focused on voice control now.

Elegant

I think the S class main guage display with big speedo in the middle is the way to go. The LS has the same size speedo/tach layout. I also think the MB display looks really clean and I love the white circle around the guage.

Big Jimm - not enough wood in the S class??? How much do you want? It has a huge arc of wood from B pillar to B pillar.

No center shifters on 7 series and S class - this is innovative and elegant. Why waste all the space in the middle with a shifter, and it looks cleaner without it. Lexus again is behind here.

I think many luxury shoppers not already pre-sold on Lexus will still see the 7 series and S class as a step above the new LS.

And the Audi - have to say the latest layout no longer does anything for me. Small fold away screen looks cheap. Steering wheel looks like it came out of a Kia. I'll take the interior of the Phaeton or Toureg over it.
Old 09-08-06, 06:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

interface for the COMAND and iDrive seem clunky, which sounds it would require some extent of memorization where commonly used menus are located and the LCD screen is much smaller. I could see some of the older maybe less tech savvy drivers have trouble with it vs. button layout. On Top Gear Clarkson showed how it was to change A/C or some radio station (cant remember which) on a S550 segment there were literally 12 steps or so manipulating menus with the wheel. I dont know what the call up times for new screens are but if its sluggish it would make it even less fun. And remember youre probably driving while trying to do this.

The new layouts may "look nice" but that gives no indication if its good for practical use. I bet I can change basic functions like A/C and radio many times faster in my prelude than an 750 and S550 which minimizes my distraction while driving

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-08-06 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 07:30 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

as far as pure luxury goes, i think the LS takes the cake.
there's something to it that pictures just only hint at.
the audi,m-b,bmw interiors are great...esp the audi... but there's something about the ls wood/leather that seems a step above. the way the seats feel when you sit in them, how the leather feels...how solid the trim is... asthetically, id still give the nod to the 7, but in terms of pure luxury, the ls has the competition beat. jmho.
Old 09-08-06, 07:59 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Form does NOT follow function

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
On Top Gear Clarkson showed how it was to change A/C or some radio station (cant remember which) on a S550 segment there were literally 12 steps or so manipulating menus with the wheel. I dont know what the call up times for new screens are but if its sluggish it would make it even less fun. And remember youre probably driving while trying to do this.
This is EXACTLY the problem with the iDrive on my BMW 330xi. Form does NOT follow function.

A simple example is switching from CD to AM radio.

On my LS430, look at the dash for a second and push the AM button.

With iDrive:

1. Look at the i-Drive screen to see which direction entertainment is on the iDrive.
2. Move the i-Drive in that direction. Then look back at the road while the iDrive takes several seconds to display the entertainment screen.
3. Look back at the i-Drive screen in a second or two to see if the entertainment screen is displayed.
4. If it is, then twist the i-Drive to AM and push it, all the time with your eyes off the road.

THEN, if you want to switch from manual tuning to using the presets, there's more work.

It's like that with most other functions, especially navigation.

Using voice recognition helps, but I can't remember all those commands (well, I do remember "AM", and use it)

The iDrive certainaly allows for less clutter, but at the expense of causing much more attention diversion from the road.

It's back to Lexus as soon as my lease is up......

HBH

Quick Reply: Reexamined an S550 Today