Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reexamined an S550 Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 08:16 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMI is much better than iDrive, Yes it still uses a rotary ***, but it's far more intuitive when it comes to simple tasks like changing the radio station and the band. It still uses buttons when it comes to simple tasks, and if you don't want to mess with either buttons or a *** you can always use the voice command system which works very well.
Old 09-08-06, 01:46 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
My $0.02...

I believe the new S-class and 7 series interiors are actually MORE innovative and the S-class interior MORE elegant than the new LS. Here's why:

Innovation?
The new LS continues the same touch screen in center stack surrounded by tons of buttons. I agree with acerfan that it looks too busy. It's also not that ergonomic with buttons to the RIGHT of the screen which with the wide screen and a wide car makes them quite a reach.

The new S-class and 7 series put the screen up high, presumably to be more visible while driving (quick glance right instead of right and DOWN into the stack). Because of the location, touch screen doesn't make sense. Yes, the '*****' aren't great but these models are more focused on voice control now.

Elegant

I think the S class main guage display with big speedo in the middle is the way to go. The LS has the same size speedo/tach layout. I also think the MB display looks really clean and I love the white circle around the guage.

Big Jimm - not enough wood in the S class??? How much do you want? It has a huge arc of wood from B pillar to B pillar.

No center shifters on 7 series and S class - this is innovative and elegant. Why waste all the space in the middle with a shifter, and it looks cleaner without it. Lexus again is behind here.

I think many luxury shoppers not already pre-sold on Lexus will still see the 7 series and S class as a step above the new LS.

And the Audi - have to say the latest layout no longer does anything for me. Small fold away screen looks cheap. Steering wheel looks like it came out of a Kia. I'll take the interior of the Phaeton or Toureg over it.
Sorry Bit,
But I'll take more buttons in the LS over MB's or BMW's control screens anyday. With every function, you have to go through menus.

In the LS, you just hit the command you want in a split second.
Lexus purposely stayed away from an i-Drive like system because
almost no one likes it and it is complicated while driving. It ironically
takes you AWAY from driving (in a BMW!).
Old 09-08-06, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

JLSC4 - I'm not defending iDrive. I agree it's bad, and inefficient. I'm ok with buttons, I like buttons too, as long as they can be reached and they're not in HUGE numbers and make the dash look overwhelmingly complex. I don't think a touch screen with tons of options is really any better than a WELL designed '****' design.
Old 09-09-06, 06:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
My $0.02...

I believe the new S-class and 7 series interiors are actually MORE innovative and the S-class interior MORE elegant than the new LS. Here's why:

Innovation?
The new LS continues the same touch screen in center stack surrounded by tons of buttons. I agree with acerfan that it looks too busy. It's also not that ergonomic with buttons to the RIGHT of the screen which with the wide screen and a wide car makes them quite a reach.

The new S-class and 7 series put the screen up high, presumably to be more visible while driving (quick glance right instead of right and DOWN into the stack). Because of the location, touch screen doesn't make sense. Yes, the '*****' aren't great but these models are more focused on voice control now.

Elegant

I think the S class main guage display with big speedo in the middle is the way to go. The LS has the same size speedo/tach layout. I also think the MB display looks really clean and I love the white circle around the guage.

Big Jimm - not enough wood in the S class??? How much do you want? It has a huge arc of wood from B pillar to B pillar.

No center shifters on 7 series and S class - this is innovative and elegant. Why waste all the space in the middle with a shifter, and it looks cleaner without it. Lexus again is behind here.

I think many luxury shoppers not already pre-sold on Lexus will still see the 7 series and S class as a step above the new LS.

And the Audi - have to say the latest layout no longer does anything for me. Small fold away screen looks cheap. Steering wheel looks like it came out of a Kia. I'll take the interior of the Phaeton or Toureg over it.
lol.

lol.

How can S-class be innovative when it simply ripped off 7 series interior?

Why is simpler design better when usage is much harder?

And LS and other Lexus's dont have cluttered interior either. It has only few buttons more, and that makes it a lot more usable. What is even easier is that you can use touch screen for pretty much everything, and it very simple to use - not to mention that your head doesnt have to go far away from the road.
Old 09-09-06, 11:03 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol.

lol.

How can S-class be innovative when it simply ripped off 7 series interior?

Why is simpler design better when usage is much harder?

And LS and other Lexus's dont have cluttered interior either. It has only few buttons more, and that makes it a lot more usable. What is even easier is that you can use touch screen for pretty much everything, and it very simple to use - not to mention that your head doesnt have to go far away from the road.
Really? Which Lexus do you have where you have experienced this on a regular basis? My GS430 with touch screen required more eye time away from the road than my I-Drive. Was it simpler than I-Drive? Yes - but it did require more eye time away from the road.
Old 09-10-06, 08:54 AM
LexFather

I had a new S550 with I think 22s parked behind me at the Harlem Bar Friday, black in color. Really got to examine the exterior.
1. Its HUGE, what a big car.
2. Are the headlights smaller than the last model?
3. Those wheel arches are a mess. Sorry, I thought I was liking them but upon closer examination it destroys any fluidity to this car and makes it look like a SUV.
4. The guy left his sunroof open and the interior leaves me cold. I agree, it needs more wood. It looks just like the 7 interior! I don't get that at all.

Of course its an incredible car but I don't think its going to age 1/2 as well as the last model, inside or out.

Old 09-10-06, 03:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Really? Which Lexus do you have where you have experienced this on a regular basis? My GS430 with touch screen required more eye time away from the road than my I-Drive. Was it simpler than I-Drive? Yes - but it did require more eye time away from the road.
huh? I have used NAV in our Prius and Prado, extensivly, exactly same nav as in Lexus (Prado's navi logo is Lexus, lol), and it is very easy to use. Prius is latest generation NAV like in IS while Prado has gen back.

Requires more time from the road? You simply touch the screen where you want - you dont have to navigate menus and then menu options. it is very, very easy.

It is gazillion times more easy than ANY kind of control ****.

Not to mention that there are buttons for usable controlls and you dont have to use screen if you dont have to, unlike in MB and BMW.
Old 09-10-06, 10:02 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

If you look closely the LS460 doesn't have many more buttons than the S-class, only the buttons on the S-class are tiny in comparsion.

Many of the opinions on this board are irrelevant and serve no purpose, most clublexus' members on the board aren't anywhere near the age demographic for a premium luxury sedan, nor capable of appreciating a premium luxury sedan. Most here are focused on a sporty luxury ride, but are too old to be interested in a true performance built vehicle.

Lexus designed an easy to use setup for the average premium luxury buyer. The German's understanding on how to build an intuitive interface or even properly working electronics was always behind Toyota's.

Sitting in the car Big Jimm prefered the Lexus, no suprise the sterility of the S-class isn't going to win many over.

The LS460 will sell 30k units/yr mostly at the expense of the 7er, Sclass and Eclass, IMO. Why? Cause it is exactly what the luxury buyer seeks at a reasonable price. The pragmatic car always sells.
Old 09-10-06, 10:04 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by acerfan
[img]
the S-Class still gets my vote for the most luxurious interior, sorry. the LS is ok, but it's just too busy due to the buttons and panel edges.
That's probably because you picked a leather wrapped Sclass interior. If you are going to do a comparsion at least make it a fari one.

And judging interiors on pictures is silly.
Old 09-10-06, 11:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
huh? I have used NAV in our Prius and Prado, extensivly, exactly same nav as in Lexus (Prado's navi logo is Lexus, lol), and it is very easy to use. Prius is latest generation NAV like in IS while Prado has gen back.

Requires more time from the road? You simply touch the screen where you want - you dont have to navigate menus and then menu options. it is very, very easy.

It is gazillion times more easy than ANY kind of control ****.

Not to mention that there are buttons for usable controlls and you dont have to use screen if you dont have to, unlike in MB and BMW.
Let's not confuse "easy" with "eyes off the road". Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no button for AM on the LS460. You press Audio (this should be doable from memory without having to look off the road) then you press AM - the problem is that the AM button is on the screen and that requires hand/eye coordination so that you press the correct spot on the screen - which IS more time your eyes spend away from the road.

I've had both (the Lexus touch screen and the I-Drive) - Personally I thought neither was as good as the Audi MMI, however, the fact is, changing to AM in the LS460 requires your eyes to be off the road for a longer period of time than using I-Drive.
Old 09-11-06, 02:20 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

All this talk about selecting AM, lol

Does anybody even listen to AM anymore?
Old 09-11-06, 07:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
If you look closely the LS460 doesn't have many more buttons than the S-class, only the buttons on the S-class are tiny in comparsion.

Many of the opinions on this board are irrelevant and serve no purpose, most clublexus' members on the board aren't anywhere near the age demographic for a premium luxury sedan, nor capable of appreciating a premium luxury sedan. Most here are focused on a sporty luxury ride, but are too old to be interested in a true performance built vehicle.

Lexus designed an easy to use setup for the average premium luxury buyer. The German's understanding on how to build an intuitive interface or even properly working electronics was always behind Toyota's.

Sitting in the car Big Jimm prefered the Lexus, no suprise the sterility of the S-class isn't going to win many over.

The LS460 will sell 30k units/yr mostly at the expense of the 7er, Sclass and Eclass, IMO. Why? Cause it is exactly what the luxury buyer seeks at a reasonable price. The pragmatic car always sells.
Great post!

Old 09-11-06, 07:55 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Let's not confuse "easy" with "eyes off the road". Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no button for AM on the LS460. You press Audio (this should be doable from memory without having to look off the road) then you press AM - the problem is that the AM button is on the screen and that requires hand/eye coordination so that you press the correct spot on the screen - which IS more time your eyes spend away from the road.

I've had both (the Lexus touch screen and the I-Drive) - Personally I thought neither was as good as the Audi MMI, however, the fact is, changing to AM in the LS460 requires your eyes to be off the road for a longer period of time than using I-Drive.
On my LS430, there IS a button for AM, and you simply push it.

Any dedicated button that is moved to the screen as a multiple push option is definately requiring more "Eyes away from the road" time.

JLSC4, the AM button is only being used as an example of replacing single purpose buttons with multiple push screen touches. It's a generic issue, not just AM radio.

As to AM itself, I listen to it often, for talk radio and news.

HBH
Old 09-11-06, 06:02 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Jeremy Clakson's Top Gear Review of the new S Class: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3JcizUA1Y

And a very entertaining review of the old one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fba8QN0dUi8

Last edited by mavericck; 09-11-06 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-11-06, 10:18 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you spend sometime in the S550(not 15 min of test drive) you will find out it is a awsome car....

Quick Reply: Reexamined an S550 Today