Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Soooo.... NSX or 911...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 12:46 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Soooo.... NSX or 911...?

Curious as to everyone's...
"specific thought, opinions, which would you choose, and why?"

The reason I ask, is I was having dinner Saturday night at avery popular spot here in the Nortwest Plano area (Shops at Legacy) and there are ALWAYS nice cars to be seen each and evry weekend.
So as my wife and I alon with anothe couple were just walking around listen to the live band playing... There was this late model Red Viper and propably 04' or 05' Electric Blue NSX parked nose to nose (small circular drive).
Now I and I imagigine 90" of all of you are "general car guys" and notice sweet rides. I must say that even having driven both these cars and knowing the fierce stock (much less modded potential) of the Viper, the NSX garnished more of my attention without question! It's low-slung exotic shape is so timeless. I have a good friend of mine who owned a black 01' that I drove regularly (he eventually sold it and got a Ferrari) and I clearly recall just how normal/easy that car was to drive, yet it got maad attention from everyone! :icon9:
But back to my question:
It appears that after online research, the Porsche can be had for @ $10k less than the NSX for an 03' (but the Porsche can be optioned out like crazy to compensate!)
So Porsche's are very common around here as well and I mean as common as Vettes. I see just as many new 911's as 04 or 05's. As we all know the Carrera 911 Porsche is legendary in almost every stat. It doesn't necessarily cause double-takes from me personally due to it's subtle but purpose-built shape. So if you were given the choice between say an 03' NSX @ $60k or an 03' 911 Carerra @ $50k (not Turbo!) and a 04' - 05' (last yr model) Acura NSX... Which would you take or even buy? And more importantly... WHY?

Engine

3.2-liter (194 cubic inches), DOHC VTEC V-6

Horsepower
290 hp @ 7,100 rpm

Torque
224 lb-ft @ 5,500 rpm

Curb Weight
3,153 lb (1,430 kg)

0-60 mph
5.0 seconds

1/4 mph
13.4 seconds

Top Speed
175 mph

The two-door NSX sports car is Acura's most expensive model. Even though its design is dated, this is one of the best-handling cars sold thanks to extensive use of aluminum construction. Standard features include a removable aluminum roof panel, HID headlights, keyless remote entry, automatic climate control and leather seating. Strangely, there's prewiring for a CD changer, but no standard CD player.

The midmounted 3.2-liter V6 engine makes 290 horsepower and 224 pound-feet of torque. It's coupled to a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission. A four-speed automatic is also available, but equipping the car as such drops the horsepower rating down to 252. With the six-speed, the NSX can accelerate to 60 mph in under five seconds and has a top speed of 175 mph.

Engine
220 cubic inch DOHC horizontally-opposed 6-cylinder.

Horsepower
315 hp @ 6800 rpm

Torque
273 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm

Curb Weight
2,959 lbs

0-62 mph
5 seconds

Top Speed
177 mph
A 3.6-liter, horizontally opposed “boxer” engine that produces 315 horsepower (SAE) and 273 lb.-ft. of torque powers the 911 Coupe and Cabriolet. The engine uses the Porsche-patented VarioCam® Plus valve timing and lift system similar to that used on the 911 Turbo. One result of this innovation is a broad torque curve that provides enhanced response at all speeds.

***Side Note... I was actually surprised the Porsche is lighter than the NSX!***

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 09-04-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 12:57 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll go with the NSX, just to be different.
Old 09-04-06, 01:09 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I like that answer Richie. There are easily a hundred 911's compared to NSX's around here. I think that's because of the pricing of the Acura, and the "status" of the Porsche.
Old 09-04-06, 01:33 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i prefer the 911. to me, the NSX is just another fast car. the 911 is special. no other car looks like a 911 whereas the NSX tries to be a poor man's ferrari.
Old 09-04-06, 01:39 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

That could actually be argued flip...

The 350Z looks very much like a 911.
And as far as a "poor mans Ferrari" goes... I think the NSX is so different in many ways that it really is it's own machine.
Old 09-04-06, 01:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

911's are a dime in a dozen here in socal. very rarely do i see an nsx. i'll take the nsx please. At least I know the design will still look great for years to come.
Old 09-04-06, 01:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I would take the NSX only if I were going to mod it later with FI, otherwise the Porsche would do.
Old 09-04-06, 01:58 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
That could actually be argued flip...

The 350Z looks very much like a 911.
And as far as a "poor mans Ferrari" goes... I think the NSX is so different in many ways that it really is it's own machine.
350z?! maybe in the back how it slopes down but even that is a bit of a stretch. the side profile of the rear of the 6 series with its taillights comes closer.
Old 09-04-06, 02:00 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

True Statement : Porsche Carrera's are dime a dozen in So Cal.

True Statement : NSX, one of the most realible cars out there.

Just My Two Cents : NSX, then get a McLaren F1
Old 09-04-06, 03:44 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My heart says 911 but my head says NSX.
It's more reliable and you see less of them around. A set of wheels is all that's needed for pure exotic looks. Not big power but enough to get the job done.

The Porsche...well we're talking prestige, heritage...it's Porsche. I wouldn't buy one without the best warranty available though.
Old 09-04-06, 04:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would choose the NSX

The manual is easy to drive, it's an MR, it's one of the few cars that is all aluminium, that light weight and smallish engine makes for great fuel economy and better handling. I usually go "whoa!" when I see an NSX since it's rarer than all the Porsche 911s I see. Also, if I remember correctly, it's fairly practical too. Just in case you need to go from the airport to the meeting in quick order hehehehe. Lastly, it'll probably last you a darn longer without issues than the Porsche.
Old 09-04-06, 04:32 PM
LexFather

We had a maybe 6+ page thread with this same question but its good enough for another thread I guess.

I like both cars a lot. 911 for me though.

Ask KristaP, Dave's fiance......she's had both...

Old 09-04-06, 05:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

NSX will be more exclusive than a 911. I see 911s everywhere in San Diego, but when an NSX rolls by heads turn.
Old 09-04-06, 09:40 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Curious as to everyone's...
"specific thought, opinions, which would you choose, and why?"

The reason I ask, is I was having dinner Saturday night at avery popular spot here in the Nortwest Plano area (Shops at Legacy) and there are ALWAYS nice cars to be seen each and evry weekend.
So as my wife and I alon with anothe couple were just walking around listen to the live band playing... There was this late model Red Viper and propably 04' or 05' Electric Blue NSX parked nose to nose (small circular drive).
Now I and I imagigine 90" of all of you are "general car guys" and notice sweet rides. I must say that even having driven both these cars and knowing the fierce stock (much less modded potential) of the Viper, the NSX garnished more of my attention without question! It's low-slung exotic shape is so timeless. I have a good friend of mine who owned a black 01' that I drove regularly (he eventually sold it and got a Ferrari) and I clearly recall just how normal/easy that car was to drive, yet it got maad attention from everyone! :icon9:
But back to my question:
It appears that after online research, the Porsche can be had for @ $10k less than the NSX for an 03' (but the Porsche can be optioned out like crazy to compensate!)
So Porsche's are very common around here as well and I mean as common as Vettes. I see just as many new 911's as 04 or 05's. As we all know the Carrera 911 Porsche is legendary in almost every stat. It doesn't necessarily cause double-takes from me personally due to it's subtle but purpose-built shape. So if you were given the choice between say an 03' NSX @ $60k or an 03' 911 Carerra @ $50k (not Turbo!) and a 04' - 05' (last yr model) Acura NSX... Which would you take or even buy? And more importantly... WHY?

Engine

3.2-liter (194 cubic inches), DOHC VTEC V-6

Horsepower
290 hp @ 7,100 rpm

Torque
224 lb-ft @ 5,500 rpm

Curb Weight
3,153 lb (1,430 kg)

0-60 mph
5.0 seconds

1/4 mph
13.4 seconds

Top Speed
175 mph

Engine
220 cubic inch DOHC horizontally-opposed 6-cylinder.

Horsepower
315 hp @ 6800 rpm

Torque
273 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm

Curb Weight
2,959 lbs

0-62 mph
5 seconds

Top Speed
177 mph

***Side Note... I was actually surprised the Porsche is lighter than the NSX!***
Dude get the nsx? I swear you won't regret it. Everyday I wish i wouldn't have sold my nsx. That car would make you forget about your girlfriend or wife. Seriously
Old 09-04-06, 09:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not get a 959? Almost as long as the NSX but its a Porsche and its AWD.

Quick Reply: Soooo.... NSX or 911...?