Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which kind of driver are you?
I drive fast & aggressive everyday [Cutting in and out of traffic]
5.60%
I drive fast & aggressive occasionally
21.98%
I drive fast but usually stay to one to two lanes only
56.47%
I drive at the speed limit but change lane when front slows down
13.79%
I obey the law at all cost
2.16%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of freeway driver are you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 09:00 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I've had my time of tickets and meetings with LEO's. The goal is to get to my destination alive, car undamaged and with as little blood pressure change as needed. So interpret that as speed limit in the slow lane in most instances. In LA-OC, that often means sub popsted limits anyhow.

Came across an RX330 driver the other day that was in a major rush...driving from left to right lanes during the commute. Provoked lots of horn honking and I'm thinking the popularity of Lexus means I'll likely see more of these types on the roads. So the stereo type of slow will likely be replaced with "Lexus drivers, drive like they own the road".

Last edited by RA40; 09-10-06 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-10-06, 04:28 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i drive like a granny better ssafe then sorry. im never in a rush to get anywhere and i value my life and my car too much to be driving retardedly.
Old 01-13-07, 09:23 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loosely follow the rules of the German autobahn as far signaling, lane changing, and passing are concerned (for those of who don't know what that means, go to this site: http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/autobahn.htm and click on the traffic regulations link) But, I try to keep the speeds around 75 on small freeway jaunts and around 85-100 on long free way stints unless my V1 goes off (has saved me countless times). I would consider myself courteous fast driver.

Last edited by mavericck; 01-13-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-13-07, 12:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Speed limit is 65mph here. I drive around 75-80, mostly because everyone drives at that speed. If I follow the speed limit, I'll be creating a lot of caos
Old 01-13-07, 12:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

old thread but, those hybrid drives in California annoy the hell out of me when I am driving with my friends/family in the car pool lane at rush hours. They usually drive no faster than those in slower lane but to block the whole car pool lane doing 55. I don't use flash but I just follow them very closely till they don't feel comfortable blocking the whole damn lane. And I only do it in my 4Runner.
Old 01-13-07, 09:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Speed limit is 65mph here. I drive around 75-80, mostly because everyone drives at that speed. If I follow the speed limit, I'll be creating a lot of caos
The reason that a lot of people drive that speed is that limits are not adequately enforced. And that is just what happens when speed limits are NOT enforced.....you get the people who are doing the limit clashing with those who are going way over. It's going to be a problem as long as there aren't enough police to keep speeds down.
Old 01-14-07, 01:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I hear this alot. I too tend to drive fast, but I've found a shocking number of people actually drive at the speed limit even in California. In fact, I get very frustrated driving in the East Bay Area because the general flow of traffic on the freeways (especially I-880) is at or below the speed limit - even where its 55.

Most of the people saying traffic goes 80 don't go the speed limit, so they couldn't know how many people are really driving legally. I used to say the same thing. Then I slowed down (got a ticket) and quit driving 85 everywhere. I realised there are a LOT of people driving 65 mph because I was driving much closer to their speed.

I'd like to say I follow the basic rules of courtesy, and I try to consider the needs of others - especially truckers - but I know there are times when I cut people off by accident, and there are times when other drivers look at what I'm doing and think I must be some kind of arrogant jerk. I'm sure they do because I feel that way enough times to know someone else must be thinking the same thing about me.
Old 01-18-07, 01:33 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Speed limit here is 70....

My drive goes from 3 lanes to two, and usually I stay in the far left lane doing about 80 and 90 when I'm in a rush. Really the rest of us drive that fast and unless you are from out of state you know to stay out of the left lane unless you are hauling ***!!

So I guess I am a conservative speeder?
Old 01-21-07, 12:05 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally find that the highway speed limits here are too slow, especially since we have tolls every 5 miles and IL troopers every 10. They're 55 mph here, and the 2 lane, curvy, hilly country road outside my house is 55 as well. I don't get why an 8 lane highway should have the same speed limit as that road outside.

I do probably 70-80, I usually try to stay in the 2 left lanes (although 2 miles of left lane usage is illegal here, and it's also enforced). It sucks that I actually have to watch out for cops more than I watch out for other drivers. I don't cut back and forth, but I do cut over a few lanes if I know there's a merge or an exit that'll lock things up a bit. I change one lane at a time, signal every time, I don't follow too closely at all, and I don't cut back and forth between lanes either (usually because I'm not going that much faster than everyone else, if at all).
Old 01-31-07, 04:10 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I personally find that the highway speed limits here are too slow, especially since we have tolls every 5 miles and IL troopers every 10. They're 55 mph here, and the 2 lane, curvy, hilly country road outside my house is 55 as well. I don't get why an 8 lane highway should have the same speed limit as that road outside.

I do probably 70-80, I usually try to stay in the 2 left lanes (although 2 miles of left lane usage is illegal here, and it's also enforced). It sucks that I actually have to watch out for cops more than I watch out for other drivers. I don't cut back and forth, but I do cut over a few lanes if I know there's a merge or an exit that'll lock things up a bit. I change one lane at a time, signal every time, I don't follow too closely at all, and I don't cut back and forth between lanes either (usually because I'm not going that much faster than everyone else, if at all).
How will they find out if you used the left lane for more than 2 miles?
Old 08-08-11, 10:03 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

I stopped chasing the traffic just stay on the middle lane normally and cruise at allowed posted speed limit, lay back and watch people zipped bye. Maniac drivers causes traffic???
Old 08-08-11, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't fit any of the above categories....have my own unique style. traffic-flow permitting, I'm usually about 60-65 MPH regardless of the posted speed limit (even if it's 55), and either in the center or right lanes.

That's fast enough so you make decent time, and slow enough that you generally won't get tickets or pose a safety-risk. I'll slow down a little, though, if the road is wet, to keep the tires from from hydroplaning.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 12:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I try and keep it around 70-75mph. Seems like the speed where cops don't want to pull me over, i'm not pissing anyone off and I still get at least 30mpg
Old 08-08-11, 12:22 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not going to lie if i had to describe my habits it would middle lane or slow lane. WA hwy speed limit is 60 =/ so im just relaxing

http://youtu.be/mWoUCDTfWqA

http://youtu.be/SfPLcQhXpCc
Old 08-08-11, 01:04 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FL hwy speed limit is 70. I tend to do 10-15 over. When I'm in my Lex, I do 80 at the max. My X5 has the V1 in it so I'm not afraid to do 85-90. But I try to stay in one to two lanes. I'm not a idiot that cuts in and out of traffic. I'm a EMT, I am all too familiar with seeing some one who died when they lost control of their car and wrapped it around something. I'm a safe speeder lol.

Quick Reply: What kind of freeway driver are you?